android
Old 04-09-2008, 02:41 PM

Default Very Short Battery Life

so i got my P2 on the weekend and charged it for 4 hours rite when i got it, i've listened to it for 2 days (about 10 hours total) and have played probably 30 minutes of games and the damn thing died on me at school, i was so pissed because it says 35 hours, i know my bluetooth is off also, but why so short??

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-09-2008, 03:06 PM

If the display is running it eats up the battery very quickly. Dimming the display will help some, but it lasts the longest when you just let it play music with the display turned off.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:07 PM

It depends on how much of the touch screen you use
If you listen to just music with no touch screen you'll get 30-35 hrs
and charge it all the time, you get better battery life that way.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:58 PM

I can't remember where I read it, but Samsung says the battery will last 35 hours playing 128kbps mp3 files with DNSE set to normal, volume halfway, and the screen off. So yeah, 35 hours isn't completely honest.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc.p2 View Post
I can't remember where I read it, but Samsung says the battery will last 35 hours playing 128kbps mp3 files with DNSE set to normal, volume halfway, and the screen off. So yeah, 35 hours isn't completely honest.
Its as honest as every other mp3 player company...

I remember a someone saying that you have to charge the p2 for 5hrs well u only charged it for 4(p.s. correct me if wrong). Like others said that the more u use the touch screen the more power it drains from your battery. Then u used the games even if its only for 30mins its gonna take a bit of your charge from you.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:49 PM

Cool

Yea,
I agree with Juggalo....You have to take into consideration all the things it is doing......lighting up over and over, how long the display is set to on...all those little things add up......My P2 last fine as long as I keep these things in mind....

Old 04-09-2008, 08:25 PM

Its just like a laptop, if my back light is set to max and I leave it on for a long time my 2.5 hour battery will quickly become 45 minutes. Also, by playing games your using a lot of system resources - I would almost compare it to watching a movie.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:12 PM

its common sense. You played the games alot which kills alot of the battery. Plus the display like everyone else said turn it off.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:31 AM
Samsung Moderator

You'll only get about 4-5 hours of battery if the screen were on All The Time. As it is, it probably wasn't, but just remember that a combination of everything can easily run your battery down faster than you might anticipate.

You probably also need to be aware that it's better on the battery to run it down As Little As Possible. This means that charging it every day is better for it then trying to run it down between chargings. Your best bet is to just get in the habit of plugging it in as you return from school each day for an hour or so, and it will likely never die on you as you use it. Not only that, but the battery will last longer then the method you're using, which is to run it down between each charge.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:14 PM

want more batt life? then i recommend you lower brightness and faster LCD off time. plus...loud music can also effect battery life.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
You probably also need to be aware that it's better on the battery to run it down As Little As Possible. This means that charging it every day is better for it then trying to run it down between chargings. Your best bet is to just get in the habit of plugging it in as you return from school each day for an hour or so, and it will likely never die on you as you use it. Not only that, but the battery will last longer then the method you're using, which is to run it down between each charge.
Care to elaborate?

Old 04-10-2008, 08:11 PM

I believe it was from this site that I learnt more about Li-on batteries, specifically relating to not fully discharging all the time:
http://batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm
scroll down to the 'Simple Guidelines':

Quote:
Avoid frequent full discharges because this puts additional strain on the battery. Several partial discharges with frequent recharges are better for lithium-ion than one deep one. Recharging a partially charged lithium-ion does not cause harm because there is no memory. (In this respect, lithium-ion differs from nickel-based batteries.) Short battery life in a laptop is mainly cause by heat rather than charge / discharge patterns.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:18 PM

thanks guys i got my brightness down to like 2 and the off time at 15, max music volume is always at 10-16, havent noticed a change yet but im sure i will