android
Old 01-19-2008, 08:51 PM

Default First-gen Dock + Second-gen player?

As I am looking into purchasing a Zune 8, I am also looking into incorporating it into my stationary audio setup. I would like to get the wall charger, dock, and wireless remote working together; in the Zune Home A/V Pack, I would get these components, plus a sync cable and an A/V out cable (which I wouldn't be able to use with a Flash Zune). However, it seems that there is a second-generation A/V pack as well as a second-generation line of players. My question is:

Will a second-generation Zune (4, 8, or 80) work with the first-generation Zune dock/wireless remote (designed for the Zune 30)? This is important, because the older A/V pack would cost significantly less than the newer one.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-20-2008, 08:04 PM

im pretty sure the 4 or 8 would but im not sure about the size on the 80
the connection is the same if thats what youre asking

Old 02-01-2008, 08:43 AM
Banned

My Zune 80 works with an old Altec Lansing Zune speaker dock. Even the composite video output works from that dock to my TV.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:07 PM

Well, I'm not quite so sure. I read on an Amazon.com review of an old Zune charging accessory that Microsoft switched up the pins so that they do different things, so you may end up getting wonky results (not charging, slow sync, etc). I'd just go for the new one, but, then again, Amazon's return policy is great....

Old 02-10-2008, 04:48 PM

If they "switched up the pins" you would be lucky if your Zune ever turned on again. Much less having it work slowly.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:33 PM

Actually, I just got a pm from a guy who said that he's tried it and it's all interchangable...

Even with this (not saying he's wrong or anything) I'd proceed with caution...

Old 02-14-2008, 02:33 PM
Banned

Zune gen2 hardware works on fist generation official docks (the round one). just remove the cover plate.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins View Post
Zune gen2 hardware works on fist generation official docks (the round one). just remove the cover plate.
I can second that. I was looking for a dock and had two choices: a first generation dock for $25 and a second generation dock for $100! Needless to say, I chose the former, and it works as expected.

Two notes:
  • Make sure you enable TV-out from within your Zune's settings. I was quite frustrated with my dock until I figured that out.
  • You'll need a knife or similar to pry off the plate (and no, prying off the plate isn't some dirty hack, it's in the manual), but make sure you're careful -- the plastic underneath scratches very easily.