android
Old 01-22-2008, 07:53 PM

Default Archos 605 wifi Questions

ok so on saturday the screen on my trusty zen vision m gave out. so i would really like the archos 605 but i have some questions.

i have seen the youtube fit in the pocket video but i still have my doubts. is it practical or will i feel like i am dragging a brick around.

i have heard that this player will and wont play avi files what is the final verdict.

and can the widget that password protects files protect mp3s.

thank you for your help.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-24-2008, 10:46 AM

I've carried my 605 around in my pocket before, and I've never felt like I was dragging a brick around. It also depends on which model you get. The flash and 30GB models are really slim, and you shouldn't have any issues with carrying those around in your pocket. The 80 and 160 models are a bit thicker, and I'd probably compare them with the Sprint Mogul in terms of thickness. If that phone feels like a brick to you, then those models wouldn't be practical for you to pocket.

I've never had a problem with my 605 playing avi files. All my videos are xvid encoded with mp3 audio, and they all play flawlessly.

It does give you the option to password protect all photos, videos, and mp3, but I've never actually tried to do it. I'm sure it does protect mp3s though since it gives you the option.

Old 01-24-2008, 05:03 PM

[quote=defamed01;208743]
I've never had a problem with my 605 playing avi files. All my videos are xvid encoded with mp3 audio, and they all play flawlessly.

Lucky you. This grandma bought hers just to play video files, mainly Asian dramas, downloaded from torrents and copy them from PC to the 605. Her unit plays all the avi files well too except with the newer files the video stops after forwarding. She has both the cinema and video podcast plugins. She doesn't want to have to encode her tons of video files so now the unit is almost useless to her.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:22 AM

[QUOTE=grandm;208917]
Quote:
Originally Posted by defamed01 View Post

Lucky you. This grandma bought hers just to play video files, mainly Asian dramas, downloaded from torrents and copy them from PC to the 605. Her unit plays all the avi files well too except with the newer files the video stops after forwarding. She has both the cinema and video podcast plugins. She doesn't want to have to encode her tons of video files so now the unit is almost useless to her.
Obviously the problem is not the player, but the files.

'You don't want to re-encode the files'

Ok, well, whatever. You're going to the trouble of downloading them in the first place, so clearly spending a little time to get them is ok, so what's the problem of setting them in a batch re-encode overnight and put them on the 605 the next day? Seems like a small price to pay to have your 605 no longer be 'worthless'.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:57 AM

[quote=WesleyH;211363]
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandm View Post

Obviously the problem is not the player, but the files.

'You don't want to re-encode the files'

Ok, well, whatever. You're going to the trouble of downloading them in the first place, so clearly spending a little time to get them is ok, so what's the problem of setting them in a batch re-encode overnight and put them on the 605 the next day? Seems like a small price to pay to have your 605 no longer be 'worthless'.

Can I ask you what encoder you are using?

Old 03-18-2008, 05:30 PM

try PocketDivXEncoder

Old 03-19-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nice View Post
try PocketDivXEncoder

Thanks 2nice