android
Old 03-10-2008, 02:30 PM

Default Considering to buy D2 - a couple of questions

At this moment, I have 2 players - a 1gb iRiver u10(clix) and a 2gb 1st gen ipod nano. And I'm not satisfied with either of them((
Now, this is the case - when I was buying my first "over-512mb" player, I was looking for the best audio quality combined with a good amplifier, since I use public transport a lot, and needed a very, very loud player, that could pump isolating earbuds and high-impendance phones alike. At that moment, a couple of years ago, my choice has fallen on ipod nano, since my older iRiver t30 died. For a while I was ok with the ipod - until I had been presented with a Clix. When comparing the two it became clear, that though Clix was noticeably more quiet and less powerful, it sound quality was far better than the ipod, a clear, lively, juicy sound compared to the tin-can audio oof an Ipod.
But - 1 gb capacity is too little, and too quiet - I use it only with isolating earbuds, and even then have to turn the volume on around 80%.

Recently I've been seeing very positive reviews of the D2 and how good its sound is + powerful amplifier. Before this player caught my eye, I was firmly set on buying the Clix2, but when I started comparing them, it came out that D2 might be even a better choice, seeing that it has an expandable memory and all.
I've never owned a Cowon's player before, so I'm really not sure what to expect of its sound quality and how good it is compared to Clix2.
Is it better? Or just significantly louder?

The other thing is the touch screen. I'm perfectly ok with it, since I own an HTC Touch smartphone, but still, D2's screen is small (compared to a PDA) - is it convenient to use without a stylus?

Thanks in perspective))

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-10-2008, 02:51 PM

First of all, welcome to abi>>!

Of your three main concerns I can vouch for two of them, namely the ease of use and the sound quality. I haven't had the chance to use my D2 in a loud area as of yet (seasonal work, bah!) so I'll have to hand the question over to someone more experienced with the D2's amp details.

Sound quality is one of the things most owners of Cowon brand players swear by. I loved my X5 before I bought a D2, and I love the D2 even more. It sounds great out of the box, with a really nice in-depth EQ for the audio purists and comes with the standard Cowon sound enhancement package (BBE, Mach3Bass, MPEnhance etc). Never having owned a Clix I can't give a head to head comparison, but I'm absolutely happy with the SQ on the D2.

I was kind of on the fence about a touch player, though I've been a PDA/smartphone user myself for some time (still using an old HTC Apache actually). I find the D2 infinitely easier to use than my smartphone, despite the smaller screen. The stock interface has fairly large buttons, which I find more than adequate even with my admittedly pudgy fingers. In hold mode you can use the +/- keys on the top to change tracks, so the player can be used without using the screen at all. My only real gripe with the touch interface itself is any type of bar (progress bar for songs/videos and the scroll bar in the music library) is a bit difficult to poke at without a fingernail.

Hope that helps!

Old 03-10-2008, 03:14 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

First things first - no matter which player you purchase, make sure you throw out/leave aside/burn/give away the included ear buds and get yourself some good sound isolation earphones instead. I have listened to various DAPs and believe you me, the included earbuds supplied by most of them are not loud enough for noisy environments.

The Clix has been said to be one of the best sounding DAPs but you will not go wrong with the D2 either. With up to 50 hours of playback time it's very hard to go wrong.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
First of all, welcome to abi>>!
Thanks))

Quote:
Sound quality is one of the things most owners of Cowon brand players swear by. I loved my X5 before I bought a D2, and I love the D2 even more. It sounds great out of the box, with a really nice in-depth EQ for the audio purists and comes with the standard Cowon sound enhancement package (BBE, Mach3Bass, MPEnhance etc). Never having owned a Clix I can't give a head to head comparison, but I'm absolutely happy with the SQ on the D2.
The bass enhancement sounds really appealing, since most players seriously lack in bass or distort them. I use bass and other EQ enhancers all the time, so thanks for clearing it out)
One thing that concerns me, is that I've heard people referring to D2's sound as "cold" and "metallic". It probably may be because people use low-end phones, I dunno, but on the other hand, certain mp3 players with seemingly good sound quality DO sound that way, so... Too bad that this probably depends more on the listener's preferences, no way to really find out aside from listening to it/

Quote:
I was kind of on the fence about a touch player, though I've been a PDA/smartphone user myself for some time (still using an old HTC Apache actually). I find the D2 infinitely easier to use than my smartphone, despite the smaller screen. The stock interface has fairly large buttons, which I find more than adequate even with my admittedly pudgy fingers. In hold mode you can use the +/- keys on the top to change tracks, so the player can be used without using the screen at all. My only real gripe with the touch interface itself is any type of bar (progress bar for songs/videos and the scroll bar in the music library) is a bit difficult to poke at without a fingernail.
Oh, being able to change tracks/volume without messing with the screen or other controller is great - I remember that being a constant problem with the iPod) Good to hear that the touch screen's comfortable to use with fingers, because on thing is when you're sitting in a chair and have loads of time to precisely dab the desired virtual button with a stylus, and another - when you're on the move and trying to do the same.%))

Quote:
Hope that helps!
Thank you for your comment, it did help)

Old 03-10-2008, 03:29 PM

I highly reccomend you the COWON d2 dap.
It will satisfy you in all of your aspects:
1. It has a very good sound quality
2. It has th emost powerfull amplifier you can get in a dap, and it will drive any headphones. I use public transport a lot and i never had to set the volume higher than 35 (with a 50-step scale) even when using headphones. On IEM's i never went above 20 volume level.
3. The touch interface is very easy to use, and with the correct settings you can use the buttons to controll the player while keeping it in your pocket.

I must say that I had exactly the same concerns as you while buying a player. And i must say that getting the COWON d2 was a perfect solution. It didnt ever dissapoint me.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:41 PM

Quote:
I have listened to various DAPs and believe you me, the included earbuds supplied by most of them are not loud enough for noisy environments.
I agree with you) I'm currently using year-old Creative ep-630, they're pretty nice, but when I'll buy a new player I'll probably change them to something better)

Quote:
The Clix has been said to be one of the best sounding DAPs but you will not go wrong with the D2 either. With up to 50 hours of playback time it's very hard to go wrong.
The playback isn't really an issue since I usually charge my players from the computer, but damn... Am I torn between these two) One part of me, which is an iRiver fanboy, tells me to go and buy the clix, the other with the common sense says that upgrading means upgrading and D2 is a more "serious" device))

Old 03-10-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzx View Post
I must say that I had exactly the same concerns as you while buying a player. And i must say that getting the COWON d2 was a perfect solution. It didnt ever dissapoint me.
Thanks for your recommendation. It really seems to be the best choice on the market compared to other products.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:59 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat-unit
The playback isn't really an issue since I usually charge my players from the computer, but damn... Am I torn between these two) One part of me, which is an iRiver fanboy, tells me to go and buy the clix, the other with the common sense says that upgrading means upgrading and D2 is a more "serious" device))
The best advice I can think of is to not be any type of fanboy and purchase the DAP that suits your purposes best. I own an iRiver player also but it doesn't/shouldn't /won't stop me from moving to any other type of manufacturer.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musichound View Post
The best advice I can think of is to not be any type of fanboy and purchase the DAP that suits your purposes best. I own an iRiver player also but it doesn't/shouldn't /won't stop me from moving to any other type of manufacturer.
Well, I was sarcastic about the fanboy part%) Since I'm always open for something better, but D2 is a step onto unknown territory, as to put it. In pros, it outweighs the Clix in amplifier and supposed sound quality, in cons, it has the touch screen, which is new for an mp3/miniPMP player, whilst the d-click system is really convenient,

Old 03-10-2008, 05:03 PM

Just got my D2 a little over a week ago and I can say that the touch screen isn't a problem at all. I use it without the stylus and it works just fine, actually, it works very well. I wouldn't call the touch screen a con, as if I wanted to use blind usage, I just flip the hold switch and let my volume buttons skip songs for me. It's a very convenient way of navigating, quick, and while it can suffer a bit in the accuracy department, it's better than touch strips or even apple's scroll wheel. Only time I've noticed it to be slightly inaccurate is scrolling through songs by just swiping up or down to jump through several songs at once, but this is how it should be if you want to navigate to a general area in a long list of songs. They do give you icon buttons for moving up and down at a time, or holding your finger on it to scroll, and you can select songs just by double tapping the song or pressing another button. Overall, the touch screen really does work very well I'd say, so don't hesitate to buy the D2 just because it has touch instead of tactile, I daresay the touch might just be more convenient to use.

Old 03-10-2008, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzx View Post
2. It has th emost powerfull amplifier you can get in a dap, and it will drive any headphones. I use public transport a lot and i never had to set the volume higher than 35 (with a 50-step scale) even when using headphones. On IEM's i never went above 20 volume level.
The scale goes to FIFTY? Oh wow, I've had my D2 about three weeks to a month now and I've never gone above 12 with my Sennheiser IEMs. I had no idea the amp was that powerful

The expandable storage is really handy too. I ended up taking a hit on storage capacity, initially wanting more than my old X5's 30 gigs and I don't really have any regrets. My music collection just barely fits on the combined ~24GB (8 internal, 16 SDHC) but the massive list of features outweighs raw storage capacity in my opinion.