android
Old 03-08-2008, 10:28 AM

Default Most Compressed/smallest file format supported

Hey, I have too many songs to put on my Sansa! I want to know, whats the smallest format of song that can be read in Rockbox, smaller than mp3 that is (if any!) Thanks in advance

-Mike

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-08-2008, 10:33 AM

Best compression/quality ratio for lossy audio is either Musepack (MPC), Ogg Vorbis, or AAC. They're all more or less the same regarding these factors - I'm not aware of any extensive studies that state clearly that one format is better than the other.

You might want to check http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/ for some technical discussions regarding this topic.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:43 AM

Well as long as it sounds good, i need the smallest one, ill check those out, thanks.
But i tried AAC once and i dont think Rockbox couldn't read it

Are you sure Rckbox can read those?

Old 03-08-2008, 10:46 AM

Yes, I'm sure: http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/vie...Current_status

My suggestion would be to stick with Ogg Vorbis though, it's a quite widely used and open format.

Old 03-08-2008, 03:24 PM

AAC doesnt seem to read ... Why not? It got it by converting from .mp3 With SUPER converter..

Old 03-08-2008, 04:06 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

What encoder are you using? Do the files play in foobar or itunes?

Old 03-08-2008, 05:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I have M4As that freezes the initializing the database but you can play them via the file menus. They play fine in Winamp, MediaMonkey, and Foobar.

Edit: Plus, they play fine with the OF on my e280R.

Last edited by advcomp2019; 03-08-2008 at 07:26 PM.

Old 03-08-2008, 06:04 PM

I don't know about w/rockbox, but I got to fit all 3 LotR unabridged audiobooks to fit on one 700MB CD using 32kbps VBR/mono.

Plays on my e280R with only problem being the time lapse/remaining/status bar are very inaccurate...

Old 03-08-2008, 07:34 PM

I can vouch for 16Khz 32Kbit mp3's. I have some of my wheel of time books on audio converted to that format from audio tapes. They average about 200MB for 40 hours. Sound really bad though. But that is because of the source. My audible .aa are approx double the size at quality 4 and sound superb, but I can't be arsed to convert them, to play them on rockbox.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:19 AM

For audio books I use LAME -V8 --vbr-new. It's not the smallest setting, but this one is more or less artifact-free/transparent for audio books. The recommended LAME audio book standard --abr 56 -mm sounds too bad to my ears.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:47 AM
Rockbox Developer

You'd really probably be much better off using Speex for audio books. Far, far smaller filesizes at equivalent apparent audio quality for many people, though of course this is always subjective.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:12 PM

Sure, but my main concern is compatibility, thus my sticking with MP3. I never tried how well Speex fares with audio books that have background music or sound effects - think I'm gonna test that soon.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:24 PM
Rockbox Developer

Yes, but this is a Rockbox forum, so if we're suggesting formats for use with Rockbox, it's a good idea to consider all the possibilities. And when doing speech, a format engineered for it is a good place to start.

I wouldn't call things with music or sound effects and audio "book" any more though. Perhaps a spoken performance. :-P

Old 03-09-2008, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llorean View Post
I wouldn't call things with music or sound effects and audio "book" any more though. Perhaps a spoken performance. :-P
"Radio play/drama" might be the (outdated) moniker for that?