android
Old 02-20-2008, 05:52 PM

Default Beginners luck

Hello all. Im new and I need a little help. Ive never had an MP3 and I am not real savvy with computers. I have a MAC and Im interested in the Cowon D2 because they are supposed to work with the Mac. Is this a good choice for a newbie. If not, what do you recommend? THX

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-20-2008, 07:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The D2 is a great MP3 player. The touchscreen and GUI are very easy to use as soon as you're used to them.

It's an UMS device (Universal Mass Storage), which means it will behave like a thumb drive when you plug it into your computer. You'll have an extra drive letter (and another drive letter for the expansion card, if there's one in the expansion slot). All you have to do is copy your tunes under the MUSIC folder. You can organize them in folders by artist and album, for example.

After you unplug the player from your computer, it will create an internal database so you can browse your music by genre, artist, album and year. If you don't care about that, you can also browse by file and folder, if they're organized that way.

(Most?) videos should be converted before played. I don't know about video converters for Mac computers and I'm not into video, but I'm sure someone will drop by and make suggestions.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:04 PM

cowonabe, welcome to abi >> hope you enjoy the site!

What can I say that Almoxil hasn’t said, you’ll really love all the tweaks that cowon has to offer (JetEffect - various EQ and Sound Effect settings (BBE, etc. etc. etc.). Excellent choice for a new player

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 02-20-2008, 08:12 PM

I absolutely second the ease of use regarding the D2's touch interface. I was quite frankly amazed at how shallow the learning curve is; it'll take you all of a few minutes to adjust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almoxil
After you unplug the player from your computer, it will create an internal database so you can browse your music by genre, artist, album and year. If you don't care about that, you can also browse by file and folder, if they're organized that way.
I'd like to add that you can seamlessly switch between these two modes on the fly using the interface. You simply go back to the main library and select "Folder" at the bottom of the list and boom, you're in old-school file-structure mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almoxil
(Most?) videos should be converted before played. I don't know about video converters for Mac computers and I'm not into video, but I'm sure someone will drop by and make suggestions.
I don't think the D2 scales down on the fly, so most videos do need converted. I use JetAudio for it myself, since it's quite fast and puts out pretty high quality files for my limited video use. Quality output is subjective though, since a lot of video nuts like to do multiple passes and all that fanciness. Regardless, I have no idea if JetAudio is available for OSX or not.

All in all, I have to agree the D2 is a fine device no matter who you are. I have no regrets passing up an 80GB Zune for a total 24GB on my D2. The player absolutely lives up to the praise folks give it.

(I'm still working on an in-depth review, so if you don't mind a long read you might want to check it out when I get it posted!)

Old 02-20-2008, 08:36 PM

Thx for the info. As I read some posts, Im wondering, will I need to install or update the Firmware program through a puter with Windows before I use my Mac for downloading? The FM radio is important to me. Does it get good reception?

Old 02-20-2008, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowonabe View Post
Thx for the info. As I read some posts, Im wondering, will I need to install or update the Firmware program through a puter with Windows before I use my Mac for downloading? The FM radio is important to me. Does it get good reception?
Updating the firmware is done entirely through MSC (Mass Storage) mode, so all you need to do is plug it into your system and drop a file into the player. Well, do that three times anyway, but it's a very easy and painless process even if it takes three passes

[/b]Quick edit:[/b] Also, brand new D2's ship with v2.51 by default. I upgraded my 8GB D2 to v2.54 almost immediately, and haven't had any issues at all. The only real problem I had with v2.51 was shuffle mode wouldn't extend past the folder (a well known issue) though I later discovered this only applied to ID3 browsing.

I get surprisingly good reception on the FM tuner. The D2 can run an auto-scan and save the strongest signals to presets (24 of them) which you can clear out later or make your own. I live in the middle of nowhere in Pennsylvania USA, and the D2 picked up over a dozen clear stations when I accidentally triggered the scan. It also seems a good bit louder than the X5's, which I had to crank up to 20+ to hear unless the broadcast was especially clear. With the D2 however radio comes in maybe 4 volume levels quieter than my MP3s.

Last edited by Apex_; 02-20-2008 at 09:30 PM. Reason: bonus content!

Old 02-20-2008, 10:13 PM

I should note my D2 came with version 2.50 installed, and did have a couple occasional bugs. (Screen would not always refresh, a couple player freezes, and more)

Firmware updates fixed those bugs though, so not to worry. Its an amazing player. I have gotten a lot of "WOAH!"s from it.

When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome again. True story. -Barney Stinson

Old 02-21-2008, 04:44 PM

Well, I pulled the trigger and ordered based on the above comments!! Thankyou for the help. My next step is a set of Westone Um1 isolating earphones. I need the noise isolating because I mow lawns for a living and need hearing protection. Good choice for the price of 109?

Old 02-21-2008, 05:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I've read good things about the Denon AH-C700 at Head-Fi. You might want to take a look at them, although they're selling for ~$136 at eBay. I would recommend the Atrio M5 for $130 at RoundDog's eBay store, but it seems that they're not selling it at this moment.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Well, I pulled the trigger and ordered based on the above comments!! Thankyou for the help. My next step is a set of Westone Um1 isolating earphones. I need the noise isolating because I mow lawns for a living and need hearing protection. Good choice for the price of 109?
Glad to hear it, I spent probably a month mulling over buying a D2 and have absolutely no regrets. It really is a great player, and I'll say to you what Almoxil said to me a week ago when I'd finally made the leap: I hope you love your D2 as much as I do!

Old 02-21-2008, 07:09 PM

Folks, when I say I know nothing about this stuff, Im not kidding. Here are my latest 2 questions. Are the clear plastic protectors like from dealextreme.com good to put on the touch pad? What criteria should I look for in an SD or SDHC card? Remember, I havent a clue of the difference in the two. How big should I go on the card? Who sells them cheap and what brand? THX AGAIN That was more than 2 questions I guess.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:17 PM

dfkt uses screen protectors from deal extreme and speaks highly of them so I'd say they're fine. SDHC is just SD High capacity, meaning 4gb and up will be classified as SDHC if I'm not mistaken. SD cards only go up to 2gb. Buy what you think you'll need, if you want to add over 4gb of extra storage, then get SDHC cards. As for brand and price, just browse, in most cases performance won't be extremely different.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:22 PM

You can't go wrong with the DX protectors... they're so dirt cheap and really fine quality, it's definitely worth a try: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.214 - $1.48, free shipping.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Folks, when I say I know nothing about this stuff, Im not kidding. Here are my latest 2 questions. Are the clear plastic protectors like from dealextreme.com good to put on the touch pad? What criteria should I look for in an SD or SDHC card? Remember, I havent a clue of the difference in the two. How big should I go on the card? Who sells them cheap and what brand? THX AGAIN That was more than 2 questions I guess.
No problem at all, that's what a community is about

The protectors are a MUST HAVE for touch devices! They're thin sheets and don't interfere with the touch sensitivity at all (or else people wouldn't use them, hah). Make sure to get one that suits your needs and budget though. Boxwave's anti-glare are quite good for outdoor use (I had one on my PDA awhile back and really liked it) but of course are a bit pricey compared to the DX ones.

Regarding SD/SDHC cards it all depends what you're after. I wanted to maximize my storage so I went with a Transcend 16GB card from Newegg, which ran about $70 total. It works perfectly, so if you want to cram lots of songs onto one card that's a good choice. I haven't done a ton of research into card compatibility but from what I understand almost any card from 16GB down will work fine, especially with 2.51/2.54 firmwares.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:38 PM

Okie. I ordered the protectors from dealextreme. TY

Old 03-03-2008, 06:55 PM

Default takes forever though

the Dealextreme screen protector: it is the cheapest thing you can find: and surprisingly good quality. one issue though - it takes forever to get here, or at least mine did since they had to email me twice about delayed shipping (I never wrote to them, since it was so cheap and I had very little expectations of service, but they contacted me of their own accord)

All in all, if you can wait up to a month and protect your screen until then, the screen protector is amazingly good for the price.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Just keep the factory plastic sheet. It should do the trick until your screen protector arrives.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almoxil View Post
Just keep the factory plastic sheet. It should do the trick until your screen protector arrives.
That's what I'm doing right now, though the static-cling nature of the factory sheet makes it absorb dust and fingerprints like nobody's business. I ordered my protectors a week ago, and hopefully I won't experience any shipping delays and will get them this week if all goes well.

I had a Boxwave anti-glare on a PDA a couple years ago that I liked, but you can't beat 3 good quality protectors for a whopping $6.