android
Old 12-14-2007, 12:19 AM

Default So what would happen if I dropped this thing?

^
Has anyone dropped their unit? I'm asking because I need a solid dap that plays flac files that won't break on me if I drop it here and there. I have the samsung t10(which dosen't play flac) which I am currently pleased with, but another dap could never hurt.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-14-2007, 05:19 AM

I dropped mine a few times and it's still fine... however, you might want to look at the i7 as well - smaller screen and no SD slot might make this one even more solid.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:27 AM

I’ve dropped my i7 several times and no problem, mind you not on purpose...heh. The worst time was: one night it when flying about 15 to 20 feet and landed on a cement patio, what I feared worse were scratches, as I prefer my unit without a case. I picked it up and examined it closely...no scratches and it still works as great as the day I got it

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 12-14-2007, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
I prefer my unit without a case.

Yeah I know it looks better and feels better that way, but ya need ta protect yerself Mon, get some rubber on it.

Old 12-15-2007, 05:53 AM

I've dropped mine and it didn't cause any real damage at all. What did happen was that it got a small nick on the silvery edge from the somewhat rough surface it landed on.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:42 AM

I dropped my iriver T60 with no issue, very solid. It does not play flac, but does play ogg -q 10.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:20 PM

I dropped mine and unfortunately broke the touch screen. I guess I was unlucky. Anyway, the D2 is now useless.

So, this time I switched to Insignia Pilot ($150 for 8GB after rebates, SDHC slot, ogg playback) and except for battery life I am very happy with it.

Old 12-21-2007, 04:45 PM

i dropped mine as well. i was renting movies at Movie Gallery and my D2 fell out of my jacket and onto the floor but not hard enough to break anything.

Old 12-24-2007, 03:01 PM

Drop it once, and you can be out the entire cost of a D2. That's why I went for the 4GB instead of the 8GB, which would have cost $60 more. If you're talking about an iPod, then sure, go for the largest capacity. But the D2 can use a 16GB card...and perhaps soon, a 32GB card. With 16GB cards running $6 a gigabyte, it just makes sense to put your money in storage that doesn't become worthless with one "oops!"

Of course, if my D2 is lost, stolen, or dropped into water, my 16GB card is washed-up....

Old 12-24-2007, 03:33 PM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in Maryland View Post
Drop it once, and you can be out the entire cost of a D2. That's why I went for the 4GB instead of the 8GB, which would have cost $60 more. If you're talking about an iPod, then sure, go for the largest capacity. But the D2 can use a 16GB card...and perhaps soon, a 32GB card. With 16GB cards running $6 a gigabyte, it just makes sense to put your money in storage that doesn't become worthless with one "oops!"

Of course, if my D2 is lost, stolen, or dropped into water, my 16GB card is washed-up....
Well the D2 can take a beating, and memory cards are known to survive water, but yes you have a valid point

Old 12-24-2007, 07:00 PM

Well, I don't know if the Sansa e250 plays flac files, but I've dropped mine about umpteen times, and it still works. If you drop it and it lands on the back, it shuts off, and of course if it lands on the screen, it gets scratched, but it still works.

Old 12-24-2007, 07:29 PM

My dads 8gb thumbdrive took a heavy duty spin cycle and came out just fine ^.^

And its far less than waterproof, its that type where the male USB port slides out the front-- you can actually see the inside when its closed!

When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome again. True story. -Barney Stinson

Old 12-24-2007, 07:38 PM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenodius View Post
My dads 8gb thumbdrive took a heavy duty spin cycle and came out just fine ^.^

And its far less than waterproof, its that type where the male USB port slides out the front-- you can actually see the inside when its closed!
Well thats very much besides the point. A thumbdrive that isnt plugged into anything doesnt have any power runnning through it. Water never damaged electronics (well unless it was in so long it rusted), the damage is form the thing short cuicuiting, Cant short cuicuit anything without power

Old 12-24-2007, 07:54 PM

Good point, I honestly didn't think about that-- Although the data wasn't wiped on it, so its caps or whatever musn't have discharged...

But wouldn't that make SDHC cards perfectly waterproof? As long as its not in anything, that is.

Quote:
and perhaps soon, a 32GB card
How about in 4 days, 8 hours? =p Though it will likely be way too expensive then-- I'll either get a 16gb after the 32gb pushes them down in price, or get a 32gb in several months... My 40gb flash player shall jawdrop the iPodders in my class

http://www.technologynewsdaily.com/node/7817

PS: Supposedly its launching for $350 (!!!!!!)

When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome again. True story. -Barney Stinson

Old 12-25-2007, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenodius View Post
Good point, I honestly didn't think about that-- Although the data wasn't wiped on it, so its caps or whatever musn't have discharged...

But wouldn't that make SDHC cards perfectly waterproof? As long as its not in anything, that is.

How about in 4 days, 8 hours? =p Though it will likely be way too expensive then-- I'll either get a 16gb after the 32gb pushes them down in price, or get a 32gb in several months... My 40gb flash player shall jawdrop the iPodders in my class

http://www.technologynewsdaily.com/node/7817

PS: Supposedly its launching for $350 (!!!!!!)
I almost s*@t myself earlier tonight when water got dropped on my 1gb sd card. I'm considering an 8gb sdhc card(~50$) for my D2 but even then I'm skeptical of what may happen. ON something so small I can't trust myself to keep it working

Old 12-25-2007, 12:01 PM

Yeah, well I may have a personal reputation for electronics abuse but I still take really good care of those expensive things! (my headset is being held together by two paperclips on the headband, a swatch of electrical tape on the side, and a spare screw drilled in a new hole to hold on the left earpiece.)

Basically, if I never take it out of my pocket, and if I hold it with three hands when I do, it'll never take the plunge =D

Old 03-02-2008, 07:54 PM

I don't know about dropping, but apparently the power / hold switch isn't a marvel of engineering triumph; it broke in my pocket.

I'm RMAing this to Cowon soon for a replacement. I love the player, it's just that some bits of it are more vulnerable than others.