android
Old 02-23-2008, 06:48 PM

Greetings. There may be a solution to the stuck 3.09 problem. As of a few hours ago Dave Chapman's excellent tcctool was updated to include K3 support. It is now possible to boot a firmware to RAM in recovery mode, which may allow update of 3.09 resident and bricked K3's.

My K3 isn't broken, so I won't be trying this fully myself.

http://download.rockbox.org/utils/tc...tool-win32.zip

To boot into recovery mode (before running tcctool) connect to the PC, hold down power (as if turning it on/off) and with a paperclip push reset (You can now release power). Windows should then detect a new device and you can install the drivers supplied in the tcctool package (You do not have to uninstall the Samsung drivers).

Then to run a firmware into RAM type,
tcctool -d ypk3 YPK3.rom
Where YPK3.rom is whatever the firmware file is called.

If you want the installed program to boot into PC/MTP mode leave it connected, to boot into normal mode you must remove the cable as soon as you see the samsung logo.

The image in RAM dies every time the power is cycle so multiple loads may be needed to reflash a unit to copy the rom and image files. Do not expect a rom to boot fully unless/until the compatible image file is allready installed.

Best of luck.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-25-2008, 05:36 AM

Awesome! I may try this later.

dunno what I'll do if i brick it however..

I'll let you know how it goes, thanks!

Old 02-25-2008, 02:48 PM

update: HELL YEAH! It works. Thank you so much MarvinM.

Details for people who perhaps aren't as experienced with computers as me <_<:

once tcctool is installed as explained above put tcctool.exe into your Windows/system32 directory so you can access it via start->Run

Now you can boot any .rom file onto your K3 temporarily (until it's turned off) by running this command from Start->Run

Quote:
tcctool -d ypk3 YPK3.rom
Where YPK3.rom is whatever the firmware file is called.
for example, put your YPK3.rom into your computer's C drive (in no folder AKA root directory) and type
tcctool -d ypk3 C:\YPK3.rom

Your K3 will show the Samsung logo and boot into the firmware you just loaded.
At this point it should show up in your computer as a removable disc.

Open the disc (If it asks to format - it probably will) format as FAT32, default allocation size, quick format probably doesn't matter, I didn't.

Once formatted, copy your desired firmware on to it along with it's .IMG file. (copy them to it's root directory)

Once you have done this, set your K3 back into recovery mode (by holding the on switch down and pressing reset) and boot a .rom that is OLDER than the one you just copied on to your K3. e.g. 4.03 If you just copied 4.06 or 4.10 to your K3's drive.

Pull the USB cable out when the Samsung logo appears. It will then give you the upgrading firmware message for a minute or so and then turn off.

Congratulations! You've successfully beaten the 3.09 firmware.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:34 PM
Samsung Moderator

oh that sounds really great! Thank you MarvinM

Old 02-26-2008, 01:32 AM

Thanks very much, I have not needed to change firmware, but I just updated to 3.09 before I read all the posts about it not being able to be changed back.
This should allow be more flexibility, thanks.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:31 AM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sab0o View Post
Once you have done this, set your K3 back into recovery mode (by holding the on switch down and pressing reset) and boot a .rom that is OLDER than the one you just copied on to your K3. e.g. 4.03 If you just copied 4.06 or 4.10 to your K3's drive.
What is this step for?

Old 02-26-2008, 11:37 AM

Default Upgrade Successful... eventually

Thanks MarvinM and SabOo, I used your instructions and managed to upgrade from 3.09 to 4.10. I can use my ogg files again. Woohoo.

I did think that I'd bricked it though the first time I tried the upgrade. I got a completely blue screen when I switched on my player. I hadn't done the bit...

Quote:
Pull the USB cable out when the Samsung logo appears. It will then give you the upgrading firmware message for a minute or so and then turn off.
... correctly. I had waited until after the logo had disappeared and some 'File Transfer' messages had come up. This is wrong. You literally have to pull the USB plug out as soon as the Samsung logo comes up!

Anyway, all's well that end's well. Thanks again.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
What is this step for?
it's to actually INSTALL the new firmware rather than just booting it once.

So that when you turn it off and on again it will boot into the new firmware.

note: At one point when I was fixing my K3, (after i had formatted it and not properly installed the new firmware) I turned it on and got a completely white display with a few black oblongs in the corner. If this happens to you, just read my instructions more carefully, and don't worry, because it's easily fixed.

This should not happen if you follow the instructions properly.

PM me or post here if you need help.

EDIT: formatting screwed up when I posted.

Last edited by Sab0o; 02-26-2008 at 01:36 PM. Reason: formatting

Old 02-26-2008, 01:49 PM
Samsung Moderator

Ok thank you
But although you put a 4.03 firmware into the K3, the K3 remains the previous firmware (4.06 or 4.10) right?

Old 02-26-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
Ok thank you
But although you put a 4.03 firmware into the K3, the K3 remains the previous firmware (4.06 or 4.10) right?
Although what you said doesn't make much sense I know what you mean.

You can't upgrade from 3.09 to 4.06 or 4.10 so you have to boot into 4.03 then quickly pull the cable out so it doesn't go into USB mode and therefore detects the 4.03 or 4.10 install files whilst in 4.03, allowing the upgrade which wouldn't be allowed in 3.09.

So to answer your question, yes.

edit: shall i make a new thread explaining everything so it's easy to find?

Old 02-26-2008, 08:55 PM

Hi All, Can someone post a working link to the 4.06 firmware? I can't seem to find any mirrors anymore.... I had it before, but after being locked into 3.09 and assuming that was the end, I got rid of it

Thanks!
Lukasz

EDIT: Would be nice to have 3.05 as well....it seems all traces of it have been eliminated online :S

Old 02-27-2008, 03:43 AM

Default 4.10 Link

http://www.samsung.com/ph/support/pr...e=FM&language=

pm

Old 02-27-2008, 09:04 AM

Hey Guys,

first, I'm german, so please forgive me any bad english
i got a k3 stuck on 3.09 and tried to "solve" it like described by sab0 and marvin, but it didnt work. my device manager (? in german it is Gerätemanager) identifies my k3 as MTP, although i uninstalled the drivers, renamed the drivers in system32\drivers\ and tried the reset-thing ..
i'll describe what i've done, maybe you see what i made wrong.

- i plugged on the k3, it was identified as MTP
- i uninstalled the driver in the device manager
- i pulled the on/off-switch down, pushed the reset-button (the k3-screen became a bit darker), released the reset-button (the k3 restarted) .. but then it was identified again as MTP

i also rebooted my computer and renamed the driver files to ensure that it does not "remember" the drivers, but thats what it does anyway.

what about the install.txt in the tcctool-package? i didn't do anything with that tool to this point, i didnt really get what was meant with that instruction

i would be pleased to get any hints

Old 02-27-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshmoggy View Post
I've found the 4.10 before, however it's prbbly best not to install that one or 3.09 considering the lock-in.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:30 AM

s.draber:

You don't have to uninstall it from device manager to get tcctool to work. When you set it to recovery mode your computer should recognize it as a different device. Install tcctool as it's drivers for when it's in recovery mode. (set it to recovery mode while it's plugged in BTW)

If you didn't understand the instructions on how to install tcctool as the drivers I'll reiterate them here:

1.Extract the folder tcctool-driver-win32 to your hard drive.

2.Plug your K3 in and set it to recovery mode. A 'new hardware found' box should come up.

3.I can't remember exactly what it says but it should at some point ask you where you would like to search for drivers. Tick the 'include this folder in the search' box and set it to your tcctool-driver-win32 folder. It should find the drivers and install them.

4.Put tcctool.exe from the tcctool-win32.zip in to windows/system32 and then follow my instructions above.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:27 PM

s.draber,

Plug the K3 into the computer, it should MTP connect.
Pull the on/off switch down, press reset (and let go), then let go of on/off.
It should not restart, and the PC should detect new hardware.

Sab0o,

Stirling job, keep it up
Will a K3 not reload the same version firmware it has installed?
Is this why the older firmware is needed?

The 3.05 and 1.04 firmwares can currently be downloaded from samsungplay.com
Does anyone have 1.09?

Old 02-27-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinM View Post
Will a K3 not reload the same version firmware it has installed?
Is this why the older firmware is needed?
I believe so. When I tried doing it, it gave the 'free up 18mb' message.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:17 PM

okay, got it to a certain point. i just didn't boot in recovery mode correctly (i first released on/off switch, then released the reset-button )

but now i got another problem: i booted the 4.10 .rom with tcctools, got it as a removable device, formatted it, moved the 4.10 .img to it. then i booted it again with a 4.03 .rom
after the first try i unplugged it too late, so i got a "invalid image file size"-error. once again, i did all that again, unplugged it as soon as the samsung logo came, but the error was the same.
unfortunately, the k3 isn't recognized as removable device anymore after that second try. so i tried to uninstall tcc-drivers like described in the instruction:

"Go into Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager, then click on Universal Serial Bus Controllers, look for something like "Telechips TCC77x VTC USB Driver", right-click on it and select Uninstall."

But there was no entry like this, not even as i activated View --> Show hidden devices (i think it could be named like that in english )
So my k3 is - again - only recognized as MTP, booting it in recovery mode has no effect except not even being recognized as MTP ..

and if it wouldn't be bad enough, when i start my k3 now i get nothing but a light-blue screen (but i can navigate in the k3, i hear that navigating-sound).

you would make me a very happy man if you can tell me, that my k3 isn't fucked up

Old 02-28-2008, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.draber View Post
you would make me a very happy man if you can tell me, that my k3 isn't fucked up
Your K3 isn't broken, you just did something wrong. I had the same thing happen.

Quote:
unfortunately, the k3 isn't recognized as removable device anymore after that second try. so i tried to uninstall tcc-drivers like described in the instruction:
Each time you plug your K3 in to your PC you need to set it to recovery mode to use tcctool. You shouldn't have to constantly re-install tcctool.

You also need to set it into recovery mode again if you want to use tcctool again after you boot an image on your K3 using tcctool.

Quote:
but now i got another problem: i booted the 4.10 .rom with tcctools, got it as a removable device, formatted it, moved the 4.10 .img to it. then i booted it again with a 4.03 .rom
you moved the .img on to it? You need to move the .img AND the .rom on to it. This may be the source of the problems you are having.

Quote:
after the first try i unplugged it too late, so i got a "invalid image file size"-error. once again, i did all that again, unplugged it as soon as the samsung logo came, but the error was the same.
If it gave you that error the first time you didn't unplug it too late.

Try formatting it again if you keep getting this error.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Sab0o; 02-28-2008 at 01:23 PM. Reason: made something a bit clearer.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sab0o View Post
Each time you plug your K3 in to your PC you need to set it to recovery mode to use tcctool. You shouldn't have to constantly re-install tcctool.
I booted it in recovery mode (plugged in, hold down on/off, reset, release on/off), but after these first two tries the k3 can not be identified as removable device anymore, thats my problem right now. Thats why I tried to uninstall the tcc-drivers, I hoped that my computer will identify the k3 as removable device after this.

Quote:
you moved the .img on to it? You need to move the .img AND the .rom on to it. This may be the source of the problems you are having.
so - when it works again - i have to boot it with the .rom, format it, move the .rom and the .img and then to boot it with an older .rom .. right?

thanks for your patience