android
Old 02-16-2008, 06:50 PM

Default New to e280 - old to RB - some questions...

Hi all -

New to these forums too - it looks like an excellent resource.

I've had rockbox on my iriver ihp140 for some 3+ years now, and after owning the thing for 5 years figured it was time to update a little. Did some reearch based on my needs, which are pretty clear after 5 years using a dap, and the sandisk e280 fit's the bill very closely, so I got a really clean used v1 one on ebay for some 60$. It works great, rockbox installed easily, it works mostly. One bug I found is that the resume play functions seems to be broken in current builds - installing an older version fixed that.

Several small questions - whenever I boot into the original firmware (which is whatever version the sansapatcher installed 2 days ago) it does this really long database rebuild, which I have to sit through. If I'm doing this after connecting the usb cable, after doing this tedious rebuild, I have to shut down the player and have it reboot before it connects to my mac normally. Is this normal? Is there a way around it?

I've noticed a large popping sound on shutdown - is this avoidable/fixable?

The overall output is a bit lower than my old iriver's - is there a way to bump it up a bit? Does the normal/loud switch in the OF have any effect in RB?

Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-16-2008, 06:55 PM

Hi sduck and welcome to the abi >> hope you enjoy the forums. Yes the origional firware has a long db rebuild time, if you find away around this...please let us know

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 02-16-2008, 07:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sduck View Post
One bug I found is that the resume play functions seems to be broken in current builds - installing an older version fixed that.
Can you explain a little? I haven't noticed it, so I'm not quite sure what you mean.

Quote:
Several small questions - whenever I boot into the original firmware (which is whatever version the sansapatcher installed 2 days ago) it does this really long database rebuild, which I have to sit through.
The database rebuild that almost every user on here hates.

Quote:
If I'm doing this after connecting the usb cable, after doing this tedious rebuild, I have to shut down the player and have it reboot before it connects to my mac normally. Is this normal? Is there a way around it?
Sandisk did something a few firmware updates back that broke quite a bit of Mac support. Apparently 01.01.X firmware versions are fine, but since I don't have a Mac, I can't confirm that. Others have said that plugging the Sansa into a USB hub seems to get it to work, but again, I can't say for sure. There's some decent progress going on with USB support in Rockbox for the e200, and I think it'd possibly be ready in a week or two.

Quote:
I've noticed a large popping sound on shutdown - is this avoidable/fixable?
I notice a popping sound on startup, but I'm not sure if it's fixable (on both startup and shutdown)

Quote:
The overall output is a bit lower than my old iriver's - is there a way to bump it up a bit? Does the normal/loud switch in the OF have any effect in RB?
The output level seems fine to me at around -14, and if nothing else, it should be decent at the max (which would kill me ears..). The normal/loud switch in the OF doesn't have any effect in Rockbox.

For the OF rebuild, it can be disabled if you have the USB cable plugged in when starting, provided you're using a recent version of sansapatcher and the bootloader. However, having a MicroSD card in the Sansa seems to force the rebuild anyway, which doesn't seem fixable without somehow changing the bit that activates the rebuild when there's a MicroSD card.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:18 PM
Zune Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjs162216 View Post
Can you explain a little? I haven't noticed it, so I'm not quite sure what you mean.
It is explained very close to the bug I was experiencing with nobody know what was going on. My player has been doing this same thing recently. I to have a e280, perhaps it is only a bug on e280 players?

Old 02-16-2008, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjs162216 View Post
I noticed the problem soon after installing and trying several recent daily builds - from the 12th, 13th, and 14th. Basically, I set the thing up the way I used to on my iriver, with the start screen set to resume playback, create bookmark on stop, and load last bookmark. I also only load files from the directory view, so there's no database stuff changed from the defaults. My usual listening is done of complete directories, not unlike to listening to albums if you're old enough to remember what that is. I listen in my car mostly, so there's lots of starting and stopping, and I like the music to pick up right where it left off. Well, those recent builds didn't work for this - they would start at either the beginning of the song, or the beginning of the next song. Same behavior if bookmarking was turned off, btw, and I tried a number of other setting variations in the off chance that it was something wrong that I'd done. Anyway, I checked on the rockbox forums, and several other people are having the same problem, so it's not just me - and installing a build from the 18th of January or earlier was suggested as a solution, which I did, and with that build the problem doesn't exist.

Old 02-17-2008, 04:09 AM
Ultra Senior Member

As to the long database update in the OF, you can avoid it by sticking to codecs that are unsupported by the OF.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpchan View Post
As to the long database update in the OF, you can avoid it by sticking to codecs that are unsupported by the OF.
That makes sense. Since I'm primarily using mp3's, I'll probably just learn to live with it.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:15 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
That makes sense. Since I'm primarily using mp3's, I'll probably just learn to live with it.
For certain firmware versions, the database refresh can be disabled if you're willing to not use microsd cards.

See http://www.rockbox.org/tracker/task/7990

Old 02-18-2008, 05:19 AM

Quote:
I've had rockbox on my iriver ihp140 for some 3+ years now, and after owning the thing for 5 years figured it was time to update a little.

Several small questions - whenever I boot into the original firmware (which is whatever version the sansapatcher installed 2 days ago) it does this really long database rebuild, which I have to sit through.

Hi,
I'm an rockbox on iRiver turned Sansa user too. Lovely little player, until I smashed the screen. Now I'm an iPod rockboxer for storage space reasons. *dodges missiles*

Anyway, that database refresh used to do my head in. If I remember correctly, I just moved all my music to a folder called "_MUSIC" so the sansa firmware didn't pick this up and so didn't do the refresh. But this means of course that you won't be able to play music in the original firmware. You could always leave an album or 2 in the music folder.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:46 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantekka View Post
If I remember correctly, I just moved all my music to a folder called "_MUSIC" so the sansa firmware didn't pick this up and so didn't do the refresh. But this means of course that you won't be able to play music in the original firmware. You could always leave an album or 2 in the music folder.
From what I've found, the OF searches everywhere, not just the "MUSIC" folder.

Unrelated: I did a few firmware dumps, and didn't a second database refresh bit for the MicroSD card. Because of that, I think that most likely, it's something like:
(pseudocode)
//startup
$rebuild = get_from_settings("rebuild");
if($rebuild == 1) {
rebuild();
} else if (microsd_inserted() == 1) {
rebuild();
}
--

Of course, that code is completely fake, but it gives a general idea, I suppose. However, the md5sum was the same for both the microsd card inserted and removed (run from pressing BUTTON_UP in rockbox bootloader) so it seems like it'd be guess and check trying to find where a similar line would be (provided it exists)
/random,unrelated