android
Old 05-16-2006, 12:06 AM

Default Clix

iRiver has released a 2GB version of the Clix PMP. It looks great and the screen is very nice. Does anyone own one or intend to buy one? I'm looking for a summary or short review of it.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-16-2006, 03:40 AM

it's called the iriver U10..

i dont know about it. they said they had problems with encoding videos for it or something. cant quite remember.

it's got a nice scren and os looks good but i couldnt find a distributor who sold it so i just got my Samsung YP-D1Z

EDIT: just read up that it's a redesigned U10 with an updated OS. it's got 25hours battery life. not bad for something which plays videos and has a 2.2" LCD TFT

Last edited by xinzhitan14; 05-16-2006 at 03:42 AM.

Old 05-16-2006, 07:39 AM
ABI Founder

I have both. They are well designed players and sound pretty good too. I though iRiver always made good stuff, they just never priced thier products competetively enough. But now the clix is right inline with the rest of the 2GB players.

There is a link to a ZDNet review on the front page news. I will have a full on ABi review for you shortly on the Clix.

If you have any questions about the player i will try to answer them now or in the upcomming review.

Old 05-16-2006, 03:00 PM

Default Battery replacement

Enzo: is it easy to disassemble the Clix to access the battery ? Or is it like the ZVM that requires a tedious process that may damage the finish of the player ?

Also, does the screen scratch easily ? How would you compare the scratch resistance to that of the Sansa E200 ?

If you get to disassemble, it would be interesting to see if a memory chip replacement seems viable to enlarge the capacity to 4GB.

Thanks !

Old 05-16-2006, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul
Enzo: is it easy to disassemble the Clix to access the battery ? Or is it like the ZVM that requires a tedious process that may damage the finish of the player ?

Also, does the screen scratch easily ? How would you compare the scratch resistance to that of the Sansa E200 ?

If you get to disassemble, it would be interesting to see if a memory chip replacement seems viable to enlarge the capacity to 4GB.

Thanks !
i dont think anyone would risk modding their mp3player to get a higher capacity. removing the memory chip is HIGHLY DANGEROUS and will of course VOID your warranty. i would never suggest anyone to do it. if you stuff up say goodbye to your U10.

Old 05-21-2006, 10:16 PM

I had an IRiver U10 for about a week, but I returned it. One of the inherent problems of the click interface is that it makes it less practical for carrying around in your pocket. When I wore jeans, I found that the the controls were EASILY prone to accidental clicks (especially when sitting down) -- Having my music unexpectedly skip to the next/previous song became extremely frustrating. I consider myself to be somehat of a 'track surfer' so using the lock button repeatedly wasn't really convenient when going out for a stroll or a run.

I'm wondering if the new Clix has a little more click resiliency than the U10... If so, then it looks like IRiver could have a real winner here.

Last edited by Slydini; 05-21-2006 at 10:19 PM.

Old 05-21-2006, 11:12 PM
ABI Founder

The form factors of the U10 and the clix are exatly the same. The hold button does actually lock the buttons keeping them from clicking.

The clix interface is alot smoother and easier than the U10, there is little to no lag in the menu screens.

Overall it is a very impressive player, but it is crippled by MTP and WMP (<- thats the best i could come up with, there is no smiley throwing up)

I will have the review up within the next day or two.

Old 05-31-2006, 12:29 AM

Default Hmm, good question...

I understand what you're saying, and will let you know. I do quite a bit of walking and hiking, but no jogging.

-- DLF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydini
I had an IRiver U10 for about a week, but I returned it. One of the inherent problems of the click interface is that it makes it less practical for carrying around in your pocket. When I wore jeans, I found that the the controls were EASILY prone to accidental clicks (especially when sitting down) -- Having my music unexpectedly skip to the next/previous song became extremely frustrating. I consider myself to be somehat of a 'track surfer' so using the lock button repeatedly wasn't really convenient when going out for a stroll or a run.

I'm wondering if the new Clix has a little more click resiliency than the U10... If so, then it looks like IRiver could have a real winner here.

Old 06-01-2006, 09:50 AM

i cant find this baby in australia =(