android
Old 02-07-2008, 05:26 PM

Default So I was just given an iTunes giftcard...

Howdy folks,

My brother just gave an iTunes giftcard for my birthday... and I'm the proud owner of a new D2. Do they have an mp3 library? Do they have anything that isn't locked into their "iTunes ecosystem"?

Am I screwed?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-07-2008, 05:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Get iTunes Plus tracks, they're DRM free, and while lossy-to-lossy conversion isn't recommended, they're high bitrate AAC encodes (256kbps), so it's not a big issue to convert them to MP3.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:26 PM

Just use it to 'buy' iTunes Plus tracks, and you should be able to make decent quality re-encodes of the songs for use on your Cowon D2, by burning them to CD and ripping them to Ogg (or your format of choice)...

Ooops, Sorry there HipHop Scribe, I posted before I read your response :-)

Old 02-07-2008, 11:04 PM

I thought the D2 2.51 FW could play AAC files if they were given the .aac extension instead of .m4a. I'm incorrect?

Old 02-08-2008, 06:58 AM

Yes, older firmware versions can play AAC, so with DRM-free tracks ("Itunes Plus") it should work out of the box, as I understand it.

I believe Itunes actually allows you to convert Itunes Plus tracks to MP3 without a fuss. (If you don't mind itunes doing the transcoding.)

For all the other tracks, the workaround described above or just using some tool to strip the DRM (this would be illegal in the US and maybe some other countries, so don't do it if it's illegal) would make it possible to get DRM-free AACs which can be used or transcoded.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:13 AM

Don't quote me on that, but I believe AAC/M4A (non-DRM) playback was reintroduced in current firmware versions on the D2.

The D2 played M4A with firmware 2.20/2.21, then it was ditched, but I read on iAudiophile that x.53/x.54 again might play M4A.

EDIT - just checked, 2.51 doesn't play AAC/M4A.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffinwalker View Post
Howdy folks,

My brother just gave an iTunes giftcard for my birthday... and I'm the proud owner of a new D2. Do they have an mp3 library? Do they have anything that isn't locked into their "iTunes ecosystem"?

Am I screwed?
If all else fails, re-gift

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 02-08-2008, 11:03 PM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipHopScribe View Post
Get iTunes Plus tracks, they're DRM free, and while lossy-to-lossy conversion isn't recommended, they're high bitrate AAC encodes (256kbps), so it's not a big issue to convert them to MP3.
While Lossy -> Lossy compression is bad generally, 256 aac is essentially transparent and nearing on mathematically lossless (For all intents) and I don't think you'd do too bad to buy some iTunes Plus tracks (the DRM free kind that cost more) and just convert them to mp3 using a decent VBR.