android
Old 01-20-2008, 03:52 PM

Default Anybody not impressed?

I sorry that my first ever post is a negative one, but is anyone not all that impressed with the Sansa Clip?

I was mainly attracted to the appearance, small size, and sound quality that everyone has talked about.

An annoying experience with the initial charging taking forever started me off on the wrong foot. Seeing the display stay on during said charging further annoyed me. My USB wall charger not seeming to charge annoyed me even more. Yes there are a number of features I would like to have, but I haven't let that bother me a whole lot.

The problem I am having is that I am not sure this sounds that special. Am I just too used to the mp3 player I have been using for a long time? I have a Samsung YP-T7 and I think it sounds quite awesome, has features up the USB port and does a lot of things better.

Why did I even buy another mp3 player? The Yepp has acted weird on me a few times lately, (with wav files that are rendered from my music production software) so I used that as an excuse to spend some money.

So like the title asks, is anybody not too impressed? Pay special emphasis to the sound quality? Is is really that good. I'm not saying it sounds bad.

Anyway, thanks for the forthcoming input.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-20-2008, 03:57 PM

Did you consider you got a lemon, why not exchange it. The SQ on mine is really great.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 01-20-2008, 04:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm not a serious connoisseur of MP3 players. But I am quite happy so far with my Sansa Clip (2GB red version). The first time I charged it, the little icon didn't go full, but it did the next morning. I can charge it on my wall charger without problem. The fact that the display is on during charging doesn't bother me. I like the blue rings (which some others have commented on).

Is the sound better than other players? Not sure. I'm petty sure that it's better than the Zen Stone. Haven't really compared it to my Samsung YP-Z5, but I don't think that it is worse.

Are there some things I think are poor...sure there are...like earphone plug placement and lack of clock. But it has a very nice clip (which I wanted), and works well for me.

BTW, on a price performance basis, the Z5 wins - I won it in a contest...hence my nickname here 'FreeZ5'.

Steve

Old 01-20-2008, 05:28 PM

I have had mine for about 2 months and i love it. If you look around on this thread you will see that most people love this little player. There were some minor frustrations at first but i have come to love it. For $35 its an excellent player. You probably got a broken one. Go back to where u got it and ask for a new one. if you just bought it, it shouldn't be a problem.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I think it's a fine player for what it is: a small exercise-type player with a respectable amount of memory for that role, many options (FM, recording, EQ), and cute, all at a good price. And then, truly nice sound.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
……Is the sound better than other players? Not sure. I'm petty sure that it's better than the Zen Stone…
I own a stone as well and trust me the clip blows it away.
As far as other players, it holds it's own on SQ...

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 01-21-2008, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synaptic Flow View Post
I sorry that my first ever post is a negative one, but is anyone not all that impressed with the Sansa Clip?

snip Seeing the display stay on during said charging further annoyed me. My USB wall charger not seeming to charge annoyed me even more. Yes there are a number of features I would like to have, but I haven't let that bother me a whole lot.
snip
The problem I am having is that I am not sure this sounds that special. Am I just too used to the mp3 player I have been using for a long time? I have a Samsung YP-T7 and I think it sounds quite awesome, has features up the USB port and does a lot of things better.

snip
So like the title asks, is anybody not too impressed? Pay special emphasis to the sound quality? Is is really that good. I'm not saying it sounds bad.

Anyway, thanks for the forthcoming input.
First off, I am quite pleased with the SQ of my Clip. It doesn't have the power of some other players, so a careful match of phones is important. I use Shure E4c, Sen. PX 100 & Koss KSC75s. Regarding the charging "awake" state, You can turn the unit off while charging & I am pretty sure that it continues to charge. Testing it now, but if you hold the power sw. off, the display goes out. My wall - USB charger works fine.
As with everything we tend to see it for what it is not & that's a bit unfair, not to mention counterproductive. This is a $60 DAP that packs a lot into a small package & does a very credible job. If it had a micro sd slot, it would be killer! The small size dictated where some of the connectors are located, so I forgive them that & I am grateful that they chose mini USB. Now my phone, GPS & DAP can all share the charger.
Oh, BTW, I have an E250, K5 & S5, so a big plus for me is the fact that the Clip has "hard" keys. I was getting pretty tired of the Samsung touch screen reacting to every unintentional touch & having to look at it to adjust volume or advance the track. It is nice to be able to hit a button once instead of, first waking it up & then pressing again for the function. It was hard to choose the Clip when looking at all the "sexy" touch interfaces at the store that are soooooo cool, but I feel so proud of myself for not being seduced! Anyway, make sure that your unit is not defective & start loving it for what it can do.
thanks
kev

Old 01-21-2008, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synaptic Flow View Post
An annoying experience with the initial charging taking forever started me off on the wrong foot. Seeing the display stay on during said charging further annoyed me. My USB wall charger not seeming to charge annoyed me even more.
Not sure how long your initial charge took, but my Clip already had a charge when it arrived (I ordered it from amazon.com, I think). Since then, it's taken no longer than 4 hours to charge when completely drained.

You've got general agreement that it's annoying for the display to stay on during charging (via USB, not wall charger), though I wouldn't be surprised to see that fixed in a firmware update. And as another thread discussed, it's likely your battery will die before the display does.

Not sure why your USB wall charger isn't working; other threads in this and the Sandisk Clip forum show that most people have had no problem charging their Clips with wall chargers.

The one thing I will say about the Clip is that it's possible that it's had more than the usual percentage of defects, given the number of people who've claimed problems with battery self-discharge. I say "possible" because the fact that we're only getting this information thru an Internet-based forum means that you've got kind of a concentrating effect of complaints ... it could be that people with defective Clips are more likely to seek out, join and post to a forum like this than people with good Clips.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:57 PM

I own the 2GB clip and the 2GB stone. I don't think the clip sounds a whole lot better than the stone. Actually, the stone has the nice bass-boost option, which the clip lacks. I find that my clip doesn't give as deep of a bass sound as my stone. If you try to boost the bass manually on the clip with the custom eq, the sound just starts clipping and sounds horrible. I do like the clip better than the stone, but I haven't been "wowed" by the sound like others have.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:06 PM

Interesting... I measured the bass response of the Clip and other, way more expensive players, and the Clip came out on top. I hear that it has better bass on flat settings, I'm not just relying on these graphs, FWIW. (All my players - except the Clip - react the same to low impedance phones, not only the D2 and YP-U1. Same goes for the Trekstor Vibez, Cowon X5, etc.) Of course, the Cowon's Mach3Bass enhancement blows any other player away, bass-wise. But flat-out, the Clip behaves the best.

Maybe you are expecting a loudness-curved sound presentation? The Clip is perfectly linear, that might be the issue.

Full measurements:
http://rmaa.elektrokrishna.com/Compa...2048%20Ohm.htm

Old 01-23-2008, 11:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanks for the post and graphs--interesting information, that.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:16 AM

Anybody here over the age of 40 remember when the ultimate test of an audio system's bass producing abilities was playing Emerson Lake & Palmer's "Lucky Man"? ;-)

Old 01-24-2008, 10:30 AM

That must have been before the times of 2 Live Crew or NWA...

Old 01-24-2008, 11:32 AM

I prefer Peter Gabriel for testing, the bass is deep and very clean and detailed.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
That must have been before the times of 2 Live Crew or NWA...
Yep, thank God ...

Though I wouldn't be surprised if I hear parts of Lucky Man in one of their songs, some day.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

"It doesn't have the power of some other players, so a careful match of phones is important."

What is the power output of the Clip? Have people been actually getting at least 12 hours of play time per charge?

Old 02-05-2008, 08:26 PM

It works fine with any phone under 100 Ohm impedance, no worries. It even drives my huge Beyerdynamic DT770/80 with ease. "Careful matching" is highly exaggerated.

I don't know the power rating of the Clip's amp, but I'd be interested if anyone knows a bit more about it. Yes, I get 12 hours of playback out of it.