android
Old 01-27-2008, 01:37 AM

Default Data Abort errors no matter which build I use

Hey guys, haven't been on these forums for a while so I'm not that up to date with all that's happening on the Rockbox scene. But after a quick reading, the big things that seem to have happened are: Viewports, which nobody seems to like, USB now requesting full power, and a new patch for battery time increase

Anyway, for a while now (about a month or so), I've been getting random Data Abort errors. Don't know if the exact numbers matter or not, so I didn't bother writing them down

Anyway, it seems to happen when I manually select a new song to play, or when the next song in a playlist starts. The data abort usually appears within the first 5 seconds of playback.

I'm fairly certain that it doesn't happen only for specific files. Sometimes, certain files will play fine in one build, other times, they will create the error in another

So because of this, I decided to finally update my Rockbox build last night (I've been using chrisjs' for a while) Unfortunately, the problem still happens

So I then decided to try out cpchan's build and amazingly, I still get a data abort error under the exact circumstances (within the first 5 secs or so of playback, on random songs) but the freaking error has a different number to it this time

Finally, I decided to take drastic measures and uninstalled the bootloader and formatted the player. Currently, I've installed the official SVN Rockbox build + the battery life patch and about 5 minutes ago got another data abort error. I think the number was the same as the one I got using cpchan's build, if that matters any

So I really don't know what's up. The error isn't build dependent (tried out the latest from chrisjs, cpchan, as well as the official SVN build + the battery patch)

It's not file dependent either as certain files play absolutely fine in one build. Switching over to another build, these exact files will now cause data aborts each and every single time.

Everything loaded is up to date. Downloaded the Rockbox Build at about 1:30AM Jan 27 and downloaded the Sansapatcher.exe from the Rockbox page at about the same time. So that shouldn't be the issue either

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-27-2008, 05:38 AM

got the same problem. in addition all my songs are duplicating themselves. well.. not actually duplicating but almost every song is displayed about 7 times or more in the data base

Old 01-27-2008, 05:57 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Asheron View Post
got the same problem. in addition all my songs are duplicating themselves. well.. not actually duplicating but almost every song is displayed about 7 times or more in the data base
Try doing a clean installation, i.e. delete the .rockbox directory first, You might also want to run a chkdsk/scandisk before reinstalling.

Charles

Old 01-27-2008, 01:05 PM

Glad to know it's not just me

About your duplication problem, you could probably fix that by initializing the database in Rockbox

Old 01-27-2008, 10:22 PM

I was actually having the same problem (running kugel's latest build) before I was forced to switch to an, um, alternate player because the headphone jack on my Sansa broke.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyr0sphere View Post
Glad to know it's not just me
If a clean reinstallation doesn't solve the problem. Another cause could also be that your bootloader is too old.

Charles

Old 01-27-2008, 11:40 PM

Yeah, I thought that might be a possibility, and made sure I got the latest one when I did a clean install

What I did was uninstalled my, then current, bootloader and then formatted the player. I then went to the Rockbox site and downloaded the sansapatcher.exe from the Installation page. Assuming that they keep an up to date version, mine should be the latest as of last night

Old 01-28-2008, 02:21 AM

Sure its not a hardware/memory problem? Have you tried running the original firmware for a while to see if the same thing happens?

Old 01-28-2008, 11:42 AM

Pretty sure the data abort error is a Rockbox specific error

I don't think it's hardware anymore as a couple other people are experiencing it

Old 01-28-2008, 12:24 PM

It seems to me (I hope I'm wrong) that this problem is similar to the "scrambled pixels" problem, that means that very few players have this problem. I haven't got a data abort since June 2007 or so.
Headphones: Technics RP-HT300 | Panasonic RP-HT202|JVC HA-FX55
Sansa Rockbox Themes: KratoGlass|KratoSky|KratoJet|JetoKrat

Old 01-28-2008, 12:36 PM

I had it happen as described trying to resume random playback of all music files after restart the other day. Although, I just tried it again and it played fine. I am on Kugel's build, by the way.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:55 PM

Default Same here

I have had the same problem since about the same time as the first poster. Haven't found a fix yet.

Old 02-02-2008, 02:03 PM

I reinstalled rockbox and the bootloader.... seems to work so far...