android
Old 07-09-2007, 11:13 PM

Default No Music??

I had moved files from Itunes to a file on my computer. Later I used Windows Explorer to copy those files to my Zen Nano 512 MB player. When I tried to play the songs, it only found one. I hooked it up to my computer and deleted that song. Then the screen said NO MUSIC. I tried Recorded Tracks but it says NO RECORDINGS. I reorganized all the tracks into a folder. This is similar to how I had organized my music a few months ago when everything worked OK. Windows Explorer calls these files System Files. I used Windows Media Player to classify all of them as MP3. That's how they were stored in Itunes. I still get the NO MUSIC message. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-09-2007, 11:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The Zen-series players cannot play iTunes-native .m4a or .m4p files. They have to be converted to .mp3 first. In the case of .m4p files, some means of removing the FairPlay DRM will have to be used first.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:11 AM

Default Regarding Conversion

OK, so even though the file type is shown as .mp3, are you saying it may not really be .mp3? Also, when I use the Creative software on my computer to view the contents of the Zen Nano when it's connected, I see all the songs and can click on them and play them through the computer's speakers. That makes me confident the songs are there in a proper format, but my Nano just doesn't recognize they're there. I'm wondering if I should reformat the Nano, or is that No-no. (sorry)

Old 07-10-2007, 04:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Generally, files managed by iTunes are AAC files, so I wasn't entirely sure you had true MP3's or not. Still, the fact that Windows initially called them system files has me suspicious. But if Media Player identifies them as MP3's, then I guess it's all good.

Out of curiousity, have you ensured that your MP3's are properly tagged? Files lacking ID3 tags may not show up at all in the player.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:42 PM

Default Tagged?

I'm afraid I have no idea about whether they're tagged or not. Can you point me in the right direction?

Old 07-10-2007, 11:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

WMP10 or 11 should point out that problem real quick. Otherwise, the best free tool for mass-tagging is MP3 Tag Tools. Give that a try. Just be sure you do all your tag editing within the ID3v2 tab, and - once all done - sync them to the ID3v1 tags.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:26 PM

Default Tag, I'm it.

OK. Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a shot. I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:56 PM

Default Some Music

Well I put another CD into my computer and tried to use the Media Explorer to rip CD tracks. Clicking on that task made the CD drawer open and gave me a message saying to insert a CD. I closed the drawer, then waited, but nothing happened. So I click on Rip CD Tracks again. It just opens the drawer again. Tried three times. Closed Media Explorer. Opened Windows Explorer. Selected and copied all tracks and pasted to the "removable drive" into a new folder. Opened the Organizer. Saw the earlier folder and the new one. Opened the new one and saw all the tracks, each marked as MP3. Selected the first, it played fine. Also opened the original folder. It contains two folders in it. One of those has song tracks all marked as MP3, the other has four more folders, each representing a disk. Opening those folders shows all the tracks marked as MP3. I can play any track in any of these folders while using the Organizer.
After disconnecting the Zen Nano, I turned it on and selected Play Music. The Nano was paused and all set to begin playing the first track of the most recently recorded CD. I began to listen to that first track. Everything there was OK.
Have I overly organized the original folder by creating all the subfolders in it? Is that why the Nano was saying there was No Music?

Old 07-15-2007, 10:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Okay, the way you ripped that last CD was - well... weird. But, whatever works.

And, yes, I believe there's a limit on the folder structure for the Nano: All folders must be off the root with no subfolders.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:07 AM

Default Thanks for the tip

I didn't realize subfolders were a "no-no" for Nano. I'll bring them all up and give it another shot. If I don't reply again, you'll know it worked! Thanks, again!

Old 07-23-2007, 01:10 AM

Hmm, I've gotten subfolders to work on the Nano plus. Is this a plus/nonplus issue?

From the Zen Nano Plus manual:
Quote:
Your player can only recognize up to three subfolder levels in the root directory.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:23 PM

Default Manual?

Manual? What manual? Just to make sure I've never seen it, how many pages are in it?

Old 09-07-2007, 11:35 PM

Sorry haven't been on here in awhile.
Z+ manual link, just click 'Agree' at the bottom of the page.
http://us.creative.com/support/downl...=ZEN+Nano+Plus

Old 02-01-2008, 09:57 AM
Ultra Senior Member

If files are too deply nested(files in folders in folders, etc.) the player won't see them. Music on the player is mp3 or wma files. Recordings are what the player recorded through the built in mic.