android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa Clip / Clip+ / Clip Zip

Old 01-26-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Click View Post
That is really just screwy, using the filename itself to deploy different functionality. Wait...not screwy - GENIUS
You said it - genius. Myself being a victim of Cowon's obnoxiously backwards firmware system, I really love that hassle-free approach. The only thing that has to change is that horrible "Sansa Updater" app... just gimme a simple HTTP/FTP download link already.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-26-2008, 03:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You have that, via the SanDisk Clip forum where SanDisk now publishes the firmware update "officially."

Old 01-26-2008, 09:11 PM

I found...an enormously awesome Easter Egg in the FW - I started a thread on it here

Old 01-26-2008, 09:17 PM
Zune Moderator

You need to post the MD5 check sums so people can know if they got the whole file or not. Also so you know if these end up bricking players you may get a call from sandisk.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:30 PM

MD5 checksum for the FW binary, as posted on Sandisk's Sansa Clip forum in zipfile format is:

236d8f75189f468462c03f6d292cf2ac

There. Not that the average user knows how to check it, or cares one iota.

Besides, the Clip does checksum validation against a hash embedded in the binary - so it's self-protected against bricking from corrupted firmware files.

Old 01-27-2008, 03:11 AM

Sandisks firmware team has really come through for us. It's incredibly nice to deal with companies that actually care about customer satisfaction and support.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Click View Post
I've been noting a lot of interesting things in the firmware files (scanning them with a hex editor)
I'm looking at it now ... interesting strings like "Connect USB to charge or DownKey to continue" ... references to Rhapsody etc. Fun.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:56 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Someone at the SanDisk forum noticed a lessening of sound quality at the lower volumes, the thought. Playing the Clip yesterday at medium volume, I didn't notice any issue. Has anyone else?

Old 01-28-2008, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromisedPlanet View Post
I'm looking at it now ... interesting strings like "Connect USB to charge or DownKey to continue" ... references to Rhapsody etc. Fun.
Interesting indeed, what's with that thing at 651A86D? "mmc:\diagnosis.mp3" - is there actually a test audio file embedded in the firmware?

Old 01-28-2008, 05:17 PM

I doubt there's any MP3 file hardcoded in the FW, as activating the Earphone Test plays nothing...unless YOU put a diagnosis.mp3 file in the root - THEN it will play it, at what sounds like full volume. I used Satriani's "Surfing with the Alien". Diagnosis indeed.

Cool find!

I was hoping the "Mic Test" encoded an MP3 file, but alas all it does is feed through the mic to the earphones...

Old 01-28-2008, 05:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
Someone at the SanDisk forum noticed a lessening of sound quality at the lower volumes, the thought. Playing the Clip yesterday at medium volume, I didn't notice any issue. Has anyone else?
According to SanDisk, there has been no change to the sound quality albeit there has been to the volume.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
According to SanDisk, there has been no change to the sound quality albeit there has been to the volume.
Would You put in the press release: "And Yeah, we decreased the sound quality a bit." ?

Anyway, mine had frozen yesterday! The first time since I have it!
I turned it on, and pressed the play button then it didn't respond.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macilaci457 View Post
Anyway, mine had frozen yesterday! The first time since I have it!
I turned it on, and pressed the play button then it didn't respond.
Obviously a complete coincidence, but my Sansa Connect did the same thing yesterday.

Or maybe not a coincidence ... were there any large solar flares yesterday?

Old 01-30-2008, 09:16 PM

hmm uh sometime ago my clip stopped charging from my usb hub without being plugged into a computer. has anyone had this experience? usually it behaved like plugging into a wall charger, the battery would charge and you could access all the functions. now when i plug it into a hub connected to the wall and not a pc, it goes to the connected screen but it doesn't even charge. only when plugging it into an actual pc it charges. i think it happened before i even upgraded to .20, maybe .18 or.. is it my hub?