android
Old 01-27-2008, 02:44 PM

Default Clarification of Internal Memory Size

Could users please post the size of their Sansa Connect's internal memory with the most recent firmware installed?

In the Connect's Settings/Info/Memory, it says "Total: 3.461 MB"

In XP's My Computer, the size of my Connect's internal memory shows up as 3.37GB.

I wonder if that's b/c I have smaller-than-advertised disk or b/c the firmware--with its video capability--simply takes up more space on the disk.

Thanks for your help,
Jake

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-28-2008, 01:54 AM

Hi Jake,
It's good to see you again, and welcome to abi!
I saw that discussion on the Sansa forum today at work.
The capacity is correct for both, one is MB while the other is GB.
Converstion tables are here.
Capacity.jpg Capacity2.jpg
3,629,608,960 bytes = 3461MB = 3.38GB
Tell everyone I said hi, and they don't need to run the Connect Recovery Tool, or return the Sansa. It's all good.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:00 AM

Many thanks, Jethro, for your post. I had noted the 3.38 capacity when I first bought the Sansa for my daughter, and just shrugged at it. But then user response to someone else's query about it seemed to feel there was something wrong. Good to have it cleared it up--I really didn't want to install and muck around with the Recovery Tool.

Is it possible, do you think, to format a Sansa Connect disk with XP directly, and not use the Recovery Tool? Or is that somehow dangerous?

Again, thanks for the post,
Jake

P.S. By the way, does your Sansa Connect have the same disk specs as mine?

Old 01-28-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakfish View Post
Is it possible, do you think, to format a Sansa Connect disk with XP directly, and not use the Recovery Tool? Or is that somehow dangerous?
I'm sure it's possible, but no way I would use it. I would start with the Connect tools first, Erase, Settings Reset, Factory Reset. If that doesn't work, then I would use the Recovery Tool, as others have stated, it's an excellent tool.
Quote:
P.S. By the way, does your Sansa Connect have the same disk specs as mine?
Yep

The space is no problem for me since I primarily use the Connect to find new music from Y! ToGo WiFi, and Zing it to my Connect. The new content automatically downloads to YMJ on my PC, so I can clean the Connect anytime for more space.(OTG delete, or Erase Media) For my situation, 4GB is plenty, and I rarely connect the Sansa to my PC.

btw, I DnD other peoples playlist to my own on YMJ and find a lot of good music that way.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:16 PM

I'm grateful for your help, Jethro, and thanks for comparing specs. Our daughter uses the free Yahoo radio but I mostly bought it for our long international plane trips, and have squeezed as much video as possible onto the Sansa. She has three movies, six hours of TV shows, and 26 cartoons, plus music, but round trip, it's 30 hours travel time, so we'll see if it's enough.

Hope she likes reruns

Jake

Old 01-28-2008, 02:35 PM

Wow, thats a lot of vids, but the Connect is the best 2.2" video player.
If you're using HandBrake, make sure Chapter Markers is Unchecked. When checked, it messes up the audio sync. Enjoy your trips.

Old 01-28-2008, 03:41 PM

Ah, another good tip, thanks. At this point, I'm using my commercial version of DVD Catalyst, which will convert to Sansa specs flawlessly, with no tinkering on my part. But I have Handbrake installed and it's always good to have someone like yourself compiling the how-to file.

Jake

P.S. I had purchased the Civilian Tanker, a rebadged Pocket Power Bank (4 nimh or regular AAs, USB port, doubles as a recharger), for my Zune. It wouldn't work with that, but it works fine with the Connect. They kick around on ebay for 20 or so dollars. As long as you have a pocketful of batteries, you can go for days without a wall socket.

Old 01-28-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakfish View Post
Ah, another good tip, thanks. At this point, I'm using my commercial version of DVD Catalyst, which will convert to Sansa specs flawlessly, with no tinkering on my part. But I have Handbrake installed and it's always good to have someone like yourself compiling the how-to file.

Jake

P.S. I had purchased the Civilian Tanker, a rebadged Pocket Power Bank (4 nimh or regular AAs, USB port, doubles as a recharger), for my Zune. It wouldn't work with that, but it works fine with the Connect. They kick around on ebay for 20 or so dollars. As long as you have a pocketful of batteries, you can go for days without a wall socket.
Thanks Jake, I was wondering how you managed those long flights, I might have to pick one of those up.
Have you considered treating your daughter to Launchcast Plus!!! At $36 for a year subscription, itís well worth it.

Old 01-28-2008, 04:16 PM

You know, I hadn't realized it was so cheap. I'll make a secret pact with myself that says if she doesn't lose or break the darn thing, say, in the next two months, I'll make that a surprise gift that fathers love to give as the school year grows long and homework/screaming mounts.

Jake