android
Old 10-16-2007, 03:28 AM

Default mid priced bookshelf speakers...

Im looking at getting a new pair of decent bookshelf speakers (price of about £300 with quite a bit of flex). Im obviously going to want to audition these wich limits my choices a bit but can anyone recomend a few decent brands/models to look out for.

Also, should i be budgeting to get a subwoofer or is it generally unnecarcary?

thx.

edit: I would get floorstanders but am going to uni soon so wouldn't have space.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-16-2007, 03:50 AM

I use a pair of Mission bookshelf speakers - I tested/listened to them against some pretty pricey small speakers in a good soundroom and was impressed by their sound. I can't recall the model number as they're packed away right now.

Besides, Isn't Mission an English company? So you'd be supporting local with the purchase.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:21 AM

I like the sound and price/value ratio of these: Polk, Tannoy, Mordaunt/Short, KRK (active speakers), and some Klipsch speakers (not all Klipsch are good). Mission are very nice as well. As for supporting local manufacturers, Tannoy and Mordaunt/Short are British, as well.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:05 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by origami View Post
Also, should i be budgeting to get a subwoofer or is it generally unnecarcary?
I wouldn't exactly call it unnecessary, though it's a matter of taste. Most bookshelf speakers are not physically capable of moving much air at frequencies below 150Hz, so while you may hear some bass, it's not going to have much of a presence. This is where the subwoofer comes in.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:44 AM

I suggest PSB speakers. They sound pretty good and are in your pricerange. They are not English though, they are Canadian.

About a subwoofer, it depends what type of sound you like. In my opinion, subwoofers are good for computer speakers or home cinema, but not music listening.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenChick View Post
Most bookshelf speakers are not physically capable of moving much air at frequencies below 150Hz, so while you may hear some bass, it's not going to have much of a presence.
This might be the case with the usual big company crap speakers. My rather smallish Polk RT5 and Infinity SM62 bookshelf speakers however go down to 40-50Hz without breaking any sweat. Look for models with decent bass reflex systems, front-firing, preferably.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:08 PM

I don't quite know what you are looking for, but I remember the Ruark Swordsmen being exceptionally good sounding and relatively cheap in 1985 or so. Ruark are not available in the US and my life went a different path for a while but it might be worth checking out their products. The Swordsmen sounded like they should have been much bigger speakers with a very good bass response. It looks from their website as though you might want to look at their Heritage line (the Sabre III is about the size I remember but it's been 20 years...) They also have a list of dealers online so that should give you some hints of where to go looking.

I hope that this helps,

Z.

Old 11-25-2007, 04:56 PM

Thanks for all the advice.

Auditioned on sat, went with a pair of B&W 686s in the end.

HUGE sound from such small speakers. Really nice, confirms you really don't need a sub. The bass is far better on these (rear firing ports) than alot of cheaper floorstanders (and on par with some not so cheap ones). Cant wait to get them home to give them a proper listen.

Old 11-25-2007, 05:36 PM

Excellent choice - every B&W speaker I heard was good to very good. I bet you're gonna be happy with those.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:18 AM

Hm, guess I'm too late then, but I would suggest Nubert. You can buy a module for them that gets up to 40 Hz out of them at -3 dB, and they are pretty much linear throughout the whole range. www.nubert.de

B&W have a great reputation too though, guess you can't go wrong with them. Congrats!

Old 01-25-2008, 12:52 PM

Best bass from a small or mid sized bookshelf speaker for me was a set of Kirkseater's. Amazing stuff!!!

www.Kirksaeter.com