android
Old 01-17-2008, 03:59 AM

Default D2 Drag and Drop Question...

Hi there everyone. Been going throught these forums for a while and needed a question answered. I really like the D2 for the reasons posted elsewhere in the forum, but had one main question. I am in the Army, and spend a lot of time away from home (currently in Iraq.) Frankly, being tethered to itunes sucks. I have a 3d Party App on my ipod that allows me to add and remove music and videos, as well as manage my music and vids. But I want something that is truly drag and drop though, since I don't have a laptop and sometimes use the computers of friends. So, my question is:

Can you drag and drop files to a D2 without using any included software? Also, does this work with videos as well? Pretty much, if I have a video in a format supported by the D2 on a pc, can I drop that video using windows exporer in a folder on the D2, disconnect it, turn it on and the vid will play?

If not, any recommendations for a flash player that does? I really want something that can add and play videos through the aboved mentioned transfer process. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

VR
Manny

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-17-2008, 05:16 AM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

it will do what you need, it supports both mtp and ums so no problem mounting it as a removable drive without installing anything, even if its mac or linux

Old 01-17-2008, 05:53 AM

Thanks for the response cptnodegard. I was a little confused because I know some MP3 players (The Sansas Series for example) allow drag and drop for music, but it seems there was no support for that when it came to videos. It looked like any video you wanted to move had to go through some sort of conversion program, even if the format was supported. Again, thanks.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:38 AM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortizm74 View Post
Thanks for the response cptnodegard. I was a little confused because I know some MP3 players (The Sansas Series for example) allow drag and drop for music, but it seems there was no support for that when it came to videos. It looked like any video you wanted to move had to go through some sort of conversion program, even if the format was supported. Again, thanks.
well the d2 dont eat anything you throw at it either, but if the file is supported, you can drag and drop it. plenty of conversion spgrograms for video so that shouldnt be a prob

Old 01-19-2008, 02:00 AM
Redneck Moderator

I beleive the answer to your question is no. It will with the audio, but not the video. Which is the reason I haven't purchased a D2 yet. You have to convert the res of your videos down to play them on the D2, they have to be below like 320x200 or something like that. If your looking for something that will eat up pretty much any video you throw at it then I'd go with the A3, A2 if you want better battery life but less video codecs(Still eats up anything I throw at it).

Basically if your videos are already down to the res then the D2 can take them, but I doubt your videos are already that low.

Old 01-19-2008, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Can you drag and drop files to a D2 without using any included software?
Yes, as long as you are not making playlists or using DRM'd files. For this you'd need to use MTP instead of MSC/UMS, which the D2 supports, though it requires another program on the host computer.

Quote:
Also, does this work with videos as well? Pretty much, if I have a video in a format supported by the D2 on a pc, can I drop that video using windows exporer in a folder on the D2, disconnect it, turn it on and the vid will play?
Yes, with the stated resolution caveat. If it's a supported format but the resolution is above 320x240, it will not play; you'll need to transcode it to a smaller resolution. For some, this is not a problem at all, since many people prefer to compress the video anyway to save space. There are many, many programs out there that can do this without having to be installed; you could keep your preferred program on the flash memory of your D2 and run it off the D2 whenever you connect to a friend's machine it to load a file anyway.

Quote:
I know some MP3 players (The Sansas Series for example) allow drag and drop for music, but it seems there was no support for that when it came to videos. It looked like any video you wanted to move had to go through some sort of conversion program, even if the format was supported.
Well, in some cases that's a DRM thing, and in some cases it's a different definition of "supported format". The Sansa e200s, for example, "support" most any format through the Sansa Media Converter, but the player itself can only play the very specific format into which the program converts.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:04 PM

Thanks for all the replies. Muffin, I appreciate the clarification. I don't mind having a 3d party app on my drive to use to convert movies and stuff. It's just that being away from my home pc makes it difficult sometimes. I have a 30 gig ipod, 5.5g with yamipod on it and I use that to move pretty much anything onto it; both music and videos. It works great for what I need. But with new ipods losing some of those capabilities, such as hard disk usage, I am looking at alternatives. Thanks again for all the info everyone...