android
Old 10-02-2007, 09:51 AM

Default this article is not accurate

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...05-and-705.php

All divx and xvids i have copied to my 605 wifi have played no problems.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-02-2007, 09:54 AM

You should post that in the comments section of the article. Might be more helpful than in here.

Furthermore, the article was from June 2007, live from the Archos press conference in NYC... Archos probably realized in the meantime that they can't ditch DivX/XviD support...

Old 10-02-2007, 10:20 AM

thanks for posting that, this whole time i thought it didn't support those formats. good to know. my choice is narrowing piece by piece, just waiting to see what MS brings to the table with their next zunes.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:17 AM

oh really? daaamn, then an archos is definitely back on my list then...

Old 10-02-2007, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Furthermore, the article was from June 2007, live from the Archos press conference in NYC... Archos probably realized in the meantime that they can't ditch DivX/XviD support...
Archos never did plan to ditch DivX and Xvid support. Archos was the first PVP maker and they supported the formats since, this site is just lacking on Archos product news, that article I believe was the last one about them (or might have been the ArchosTV one). Quite odd for non-iPod site.

Old 10-02-2007, 05:54 PM
Editor

I will be posting a review of the 605 very soon. Overall, im not impressed. More later...

and... btw... yes i wrote that article and it was a mistake... they are not discontinuing support for divx/xvid

Old 01-19-2008, 08:03 AM

Default the technical support says Archos does not support divX and Xvid

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoTen View Post
I will be posting a review of the 605 very soon. Overall, im not impressed. More later...

and... btw... yes i wrote that article and it was a mistake... they are not discontinuing support for divx/xvid

I don't understand, everyone here says Archos supports divX and Xvid. My one month old 605 plays avi files but when it plays the ones with Xvid the video and audio don't synchronized and the video stops after forwarding while the audio continues. I called the technical support and was told that it does not support divX/Xvid because Archos is not divX/Xvid certified. I had to use PocketDivXEncoder to convert the file through PC before I could watch it on the device. Please enlighten me.

Old 01-19-2008, 03:07 PM

Sounds like an issue with the audio codec you were using. PocketDivXEncoder uses MP3 so that might have fixed the problem. Most non-iPod/Zune mp3 players play DivX/Xvid but they are not DivX certified. One one that is is the Sansa View because SanDisk made an agreement with DivX. To avoid the costs most manufacturers just use an Xvid decoder which is free and can also do DivX as well.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:40 PM

isn't there like divx 3,4,5,6 or something and Archos is missing support for one of those versions?

pretty sure that's the issue

Old 01-20-2008, 10:25 PM

You are probably right. Checked the media info of the files that will play on my unit, it plays divX3 and 5, don't know about 4 and 6. It also plays Xvid, but only those with the info of video writing library Xvid0037, Xvid0039, nothing with Xvid0046. I only noticed the difference of the media info but don't understand and don't know if it has anything to do with the problem. I have both video audio plug ins but when I tried to play a H264 video file it says the image is too big. Isn't 605 supposed to play 800X480? How do I adjust it then?

Old 01-21-2008, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandm View Post
it plays divX3 and 5, don't know about 4 and 6
Interesting... DivX 3 isn't a legit codec, it's an illegally hacked version of Microsoft's MP42 codec. Version 4 of DivX is rewritten from scratch, with no illegal portions in it. I really didn't think the Archos would play DivX 3.