android
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-17-2008, 09:19 PM

I have an e260R version 1 (the original helix DRM version, the new ones are version 2) and I have Rockbox installed. I just wanted to mention a couple of things that anyone with a Rhapsody Sansa e200 series should know before they install Rockbox.

First, putting Rockbox on a Rhapsody unit is not for the inexperienced. If you do not know your way around a file system and have some basic knowledge about programming then you run a high risk of screwing up your Rhapsody Sansa. I can't stress this enough. Don't go crazy just clicking stuff to get Rockbox set up because when you brick it ... well, you'll probably have to go to school to learn how to recover. You might as well buy a new unit. You've been warned.

Second, after Rockbox is on your Rhapsody Sansa DO NOT FORMAT to clean old songs off your unit. Instead, use your file manager to clean out the /music folder. The reason for this is because the files that run Rockbox and Rhapsody are all fully exposed in unprotected directories after Rockbox is installed. Formatting will erase them all except your boot loader and then you'll have to rebuild. Not for the faint of heart.

Third, keep backup copies of all your setup files and the current instructions for installing Rockbox. Sansa is changing their hardware and things might be different the next time you have to recover.

Rockbox is fast, efficient and it plays OGG, too. I really like it and I hope you do, too. Good luck on your setup.