android
Old 01-03-2008, 04:15 PM

Thumb Down Sansa Clip Water Damage

Hey.

I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but if it has, just let me know.

Anyways, I left my Sansa Clip 2GB MP3 player in my pants pocket and it accidentally got thrown into the washer for about 40 minutes... I threw it in the dryer, where it stayed for about 30 seconds, until I realized what had happened. I took it out, and what do you know, condensation on the screen, water leaking out of the joints, and it won't power on.

When I realized it had happened, I tried turning it off and on, but when it wouldn't work, I put it in front of a furnace vent to warm it up, which I know wasn't a good idea. So, I plugged it into the computer to see if the computer would recognize it, and it did, so I thought I would warm it up again. I did so, and plugged it into the computer again. Now the computer just recognizes it as new hardware and it won't work.

So my question; any tips on getting it to work? And also, if there is a way, how do you open the MP3 player to dry it out? There doesn't seem to be a way... I know, I kinda screwed it up, but any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

EDIT: Update; Now, the computer recognizes it again! That's a good thing, I'm sure. But what happens is it says "Writing", then it says "Connected" and then it screen says "Scandisk", then it repeats... I don't remember this happening before. Also, the battery indicator in the top-right corner shows that its charging, but the minute I unplug it, it powers off. And there are also little specs on blue and orange on the screen.... Any help now?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-03-2008, 07:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

When did this happen? In other forums, the recommendation tends to be to open the player up if possible and then use (distilled?) water (for purity) to wash any residue away, and then to let the player dry out, like for days. Surprisingly, the players often then work.

Even if you can't open the Clip up, I'd leave it alone and let it dry out, if you haven't already done so.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The battery got ruined when water got in it...You may need to buy a new one
Samsung Galaxy tab 2 7.0
Motorola Droid razr m

Old 01-03-2008, 07:56 PM

Chances are that you fried it by turning it on, Mikerman's post is correct, any time you get an electronic device wet...don't turn it on till completely dry.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 01-04-2008, 05:17 AM

Oh noo, too bad!

Two errors NOT to do when this happen: turn on the power (that's the big big mistake, if your device was powered off of course), and dry it with heat. The only chance to get it working (weak chance though, but it happens, like w/ phones) is to open, remove water exceed, clean it, and let it dry w/o heating it more than electronics like (ambiant temperature recommended). W/o pulsed air, it's nothing less than 1 or 2 days, according to ambiant conditions and device kind of electronics.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:26 AM

Your post appears to show that your Clip gradually regained its functionality as it dried out more. Especially your update at the end, where you describe the Clip charging normally (your description of it displaying "Writing", "Connected", "Sandisk" repeatedly is accurate - this is expected behavior).

You end by describing two problems, one being that the display is corrupted (specs of blue and orange), and the other being that it powers off immediately when you unplug it. The display most likely won't repair itself with further drying. As for the powering off ... how long did you allow it to charge? There may be some water-damage-based hardware problem that won't allow it to charge anyway. This may or may not go away with further drying.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:09 PM

Okay thanks for the help guys.

Promised Planet: I let it charge for like 15 minutes and nothing happens. Should I let it charge more?

kukrapok: Yes I know I wasn't supposed to do that... I was kinda desperate to get it working though.

Mikerman: Oh cool. I'll have to try that. Only problem is I don't know how to get this damn MP3 player open. There's no screws and I'm almost too weak hearted to pull it apart. But I'll let it dry out for a couple more days. After that, I'll try exchanging it.

Oh yeah. And the little specs on the screen are gone now.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm getting the feeling that the drying process is working. I'd let it dry for a few days and then if it it seems totally dry on the inside from what you can tell from the outside, charge it up. (Personally, I wouldn't try opening it up, if you don't know how, easily.)

Old 01-04-2008, 08:41 PM

Default To open

There is a note elsewhere on the CLIP forum on how to open the Clip. I believe it just snaps apart.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsjw View Post
There is a note elsewhere on the CLIP forum on how to open the Clip. I believe it just snaps apart.
Easy to pull apart, but you just might break the fragile body/housing and not be able to put it back together again

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 01-04-2008, 09:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Here are the pics of the innards of the Clip. Don't think I would want to take it apart--likely I would break it . . . .

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...sassembled.php

Old 01-05-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
I'm getting the feeling that the drying process is working. I'd let it dry for a few days and then if it it seems totally dry on the inside from what you can tell from the outside, charge it up. (Personally, I wouldn't try opening it up, if you don't know how, easily.)
Agreed ... give it a few more days.

Regarding charging, I've found that I get a full charge on a drained Clip in about four hours. (Plugged into USB port.)

Old 01-08-2008, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromisedPlanet View Post
Agreed ... give it a few more days.

Regarding charging, I've found that I get a full charge on a drained Clip in about four hours. (Plugged into USB port.)
Okay. It's been sitting for a few days. I let it charge for like half an hour. And absolutely nothing happens. I think the batteries are toast. I think I'll give it to my friend who knows how to fix water damaged electronics. Can I get a replacement battery anywhere? Or do I have to send it in?

But is there any way to open up the Clip safely? And also, when you unplug the Clip from the USB port, it's not supposed to turn off instantly.... right?

Old 01-08-2008, 08:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok View Post
Okay. It's been sitting for a few days. I let it charge for like half an hour. And absolutely nothing happens. I think the batteries are toast. I think I'll give it to my friend who knows how to fix water damaged electronics. Can I get a replacement battery anywhere? Or do I have to send it in?

But is there any way to open up the Clip safely? And also, when you unplug the Clip from the USB port, it's not supposed to turn off instantly.... right?
When the battery is toast it won't hold even the slightest of charge and when you unplug it, it removes ALL power from the clip and it shuts off.

As for a replacement battery, not likely.
It's been water damaged, I don't think you can send it in
Samsung Galaxy tab 2 7.0
Motorola Droid razr m

Old 01-08-2008, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCM View Post
When the battery is toast it won't hold even the slightest of charge and when you unplug it, it removes ALL power from the clip and it shuts off.

As for a replacement battery, not likely.
It's been water damaged, I don't think you can send it in
Oh alright. sounds like the battery is done then... crap.

Is there a warranty coverage thing I can read to make sure if I can or cannot send it in? I probably won't be able to send it in, but I just to make sure.

And if it's not covered, I might as well just rip it apart and see if I can find anything. Is there any guide that shows how to open up the Clip safely?

Oh, and my Clip was just recently bought... wouldn't it have a warranty on it?

Old 01-08-2008, 11:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok View Post
Oh alright. sounds like the battery is done then... crap.

Is there a warranty coverage thing I can read to make sure if I can or cannot send it in? I probably won't be able to send it in, but I just to make sure.

And if it's not covered, I might as well just rip it apart and see if I can find anything. Is there any guide that shows how to open up the Clip safely?

Oh, and my Clip was just recently bought... wouldn't it have a warranty on it?
Not for that kinda thing

And if you do try and return it, TELL THEM THE TRUTH
Samsung Galaxy tab 2 7.0
Motorola Droid razr m

Old 01-09-2008, 08:31 AM

Warranty is void if Clip is damaged as the result of an accident:

http://www.sandisk.com/assets/File/D...usermanual.pdf

Only article I've seen about Sansa Clip disassembly (you may be able to contact the author for more info):

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...sassembled.php

Old 01-17-2008, 11:50 AM

If you feel it is ONLY the battery and you are proficient at DIY repairs, or just want to get a new battery, LiPo cells are available for many devices here