android
Old 11-01-2007, 09:21 AM

Default Archos 605 160gb Audio Problems

Has anyone noticed something similar:

Whenever Wi-Fi is enabled the audio circuitry is corrupted with signal crosstalk, ie popping, crackling. If Wi-Fi is disabled then the sound is fine. Since I want to be able to stream my music and video (a primary function of this unit) this is important to me.

I returned the first defective unit and just received my second unit. It has the same problem. I'm trying to decide if I should just return it for a refund and look at something else.

Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-17-2007, 03:54 AM

I have the same problem with my 605 WiFi 160GB. I did see someone say that they fixed theirs with a firmware upgrade but I have put mine up to the latest version (1.3.53) and I still have the problem. I have raised the problem with Archos' technical support so I'll see what they say about it. I'll let you know what I get from them.

Old 11-17-2007, 09:08 AM

Default Follow-Up

Ok, I've had my replacement unit for a few weeks now. I was told by Archos that a firmware upgrade would fix the problem. But I am at the latest firmware. And thinking about it... this is a technical crosstalk problem between the wi-fi circuitry and the audio circuitry. I doubt a firmware upgrade will fix it.
I thought I would ignore the problem. The primary reason I bought the unit was to transport movies and music to another location for viewing and listening. But, I find that I'm using the web alot while listening to music. Which is impossible with the popping and crackling.
So, I've decided to return this second unit for a replacement. Since there's really no other solution that will let me do what I want (other than a laptop with HD out) I guess I'll keep returning units until I get one that works.
Let me know if you get any further info from Archos.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:37 AM

I agree, firmware makes no sense but I like to think positively (read kid myself). I hate having to return things when I've bought them online. I got a response from archos and they said I should return it. All we have to do now is work our way through the faulty batch before we get a good one.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:50 PM

Perhaps there's a problem with the 160 gb models. I have the 30 gb one and I had the crackling sound problem when I bought it and next to none after I installed the latest firmware, just a slight pop every now and then.

Old 11-20-2007, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylix View Post
Ok, I've had my replacement unit for a few weeks now. I was told by Archos that a firmware upgrade would fix the problem. But I am at the latest firmware. And thinking about it... this is a technical crosstalk problem between the wi-fi circuitry and the audio circuitry. I doubt a firmware upgrade will fix it.
I thought I would ignore the problem. The primary reason I bought the unit was to transport movies and music to another location for viewing and listening. But, I find that I'm using the web alot while listening to music. Which is impossible with the popping and crackling.
So, I've decided to return this second unit for a replacement. Since there's really no other solution that will let me do what I want (other than a laptop with HD out) I guess I'll keep returning units until I get one that works.
Let me know if you get any further info from Archos.
No, it's not necessarily cross-talk. The unit is sharing one processor to do multiple jobs at the same time - the slight clicking sound I hear from time to time is more like what happens when a processor interferes (steals cycles, causes the chip to 'hesitate', call it what you will) with the audio decoding chip. No reason at all to assume that a firmware update will not solve this issue at some point.

It also makes it completely worthless to keep returning them, as it is not a defective unit, but rather a bug in the firmware, meaning that until they get a fix in the firmware, you can exchange them until you turn blue, and it's not going to do anything except annoy you and the people you bought it from.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:19 AM

Default Snap Crackle Pop

Yes this is happening to me as well. It doesn't happen over the speaker, just the headphones. There is also a SPDIF out - I wonder if it happens over that too.

Old 11-24-2007, 11:05 AM

Hmmm... I have the DVR station. I'll give that a try and see what happens.

I understand what you're saying WesleyH. It's annoying because I've talked to people that bought the same 160gb unit from Amazon and don't have the problem even with the same firmware.

Old 12-06-2007, 01:43 PM

I just received my third unit and no popping sounds. I tried the latest firmware 1.7.03 on the 2nd one but no luck. So I went ahead and exchanged it.
I did notice that the serial numbers for the first two units were very close together while this third one has a much higher (later build... my guess) number.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:12 PM

Angry Getting the same problem

Right now, I'm using their 'supplied' earbuds with my brand-new 80gb 605 wi-fi....nothing playing, and LOTS of noise...connect to wi-fi, listen to lots of tapping as it searches...sit at the Content Portal and hear the occasional pop and crackle...play some videos (free from the content portal and VODMANIA) and even with loud sound, it's there...not continuous, but enough to be noticed and present...stop streaming video, but leave things connected, and, well, seems to be gone. Upgraded to the latest firmware first thing, so, no help there. Guess it's time to go to tech support.