android
Old 12-30-2007, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llorean View Post
Sorry for the force with which I tend to deliver this message, but it's something I feel very strongly about.
</p>
Apology accepted

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-30-2007, 09:49 PM

I, for one, am incredibly grateful to the Rockbox team for making the firmware publicly available at all, which is not something they ever had to do. It's made using my e270 a much more enjoyable experience than it ever was with the OF.

I'm inclined toward mucking with things, so with help from people here, at the Rockbox forums, and on IRC, I learned how to compile and patch. That made a good thing even better, because I could shape some things about Rockbox to my liking. At this point, though, I'm using a build that's a couple of months old because the current state of SVN is such that I'm finding it too difficult to patch a new build that'll do what my old one does (mostly stuff having to do with album art and themes). A programmer is one thing I'm not.

So, to Llorean's point, I'm now seriously contemplating going to the official build. That'll mean giving up some eye candy. But it will mean greater stability and will also let me keep up with the ongoing development work, which I'm missing out on now. It would also eliminate the risk of finding that a lot of the themes I like have ended up on the trash heap and that I'm using a build that's an unsupportable orphan fork in the Rockbox tree.

Perhaps SVN will settle out enough one day that the things I added to my own builds are there in one form or another. And perhaps then I can jump back into the fun of compiling my own builds. But I no longer have the time or know-how to do all that patching.

Is it frustrating that some of the things I like aren't in SVN? Yes, to some extent, it is. But I've got to be realistic and accept that it's for those who do the grunt work to decide what goes in and what doesn't. I'm well aware that Rockbox isn't a democracy so my vote isn't requested. I can deal with that.

Old 12-30-2007, 09:56 PM
Rockbox Developer

Just as a note, a lot of themes really will need rewriting soon (or unsupported builds will have to start hacking around existing features and supporting parallel features). Viewports really is on the horizon now (as in, there's a proof-of-concept patch in the tracker for one player that needs adaption to other LCD drivers and testing)

Old 12-30-2007, 10:20 PM

I totally agree that new developers helps rockbox a lot more than more users does. The problem, I think, is that there is so little documentation on the rockbox code. I've tried learning to code for rockbox a few times, and every time I get frustrated with the lack of documentation on the code. The fact that its written in embedded C doesn't help (I realize some people prefer C, but for me it seems more complicated than oo languages). Something that might really be helpful to bringing in new developers is a good API. I don't mean a .h file, which is where I've been pointed before, but an actual API. It wouldn't really be that hard to start a wiki page for an API. Perhaps a 'hello world' walk-through would help too.

Just my thoughts... Like I said I've looked at rockbox code and its really complicated code for someone that hasn't been developing it and is looking at it for the first time. So when developing wasn't working for me I started getting involved with WPSes and from there got to custom builds.

Oh, and I could definitely help re-writing some of those themes when viewports comes out.

Old 12-31-2007, 06:25 AM

I am really confused, what exactly is viewpoints? I couldn't find it in the tracker.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pienose View Post
I am really confused, what exactly is viewpoints? I couldn't find it in the tracker.
FS#8385

Edit: Here's a simulator if you want to play with it: http://rasher.dk/rockbox/viewports/

Old 12-31-2007, 07:16 AM

Wow, I didn't realize there was so much activity in this thread!

I'll need to revise my notification settings for instant notification, instead of 1 week.

You all bring up good points of view. I am not sure I quit understand the WPS theory. While Playing Screen . . . would one of you be able to elaborate? Llorean, from sounds of it you are very passionate about your work. So much so, that any comment good/bad will get you juiced up. Don't worry, your doing good just ignore the nay sayers.

In another note, I have put my Sansa tinkering on hold. I have purchased a 80gb Zune and currently running test situations. Thus far, I am unimpressed with the functionality of the Zune-to-PC without the software. There is big potential for this player, but until the software gets more 'open' or a homebrew application has been developed, I am afraid this is going back to the store. . . .

I wonder if Rockbox is developing for the Zune80. I'll have to check up on that.

I really want/need to understand the filesystem of the Zune and how it operates. It's killing me.
With knowledge, comes great power.
With power, comes great responsibility.
With responsibility, comes great wisdom.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:00 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llorean View Post
as in, there's a proof-of-concept patch in the tracker for one player that needs adaption to other LCD drivers and testing
New patch from a few hours ago compiles on all colour targets except the X5(L).

Old 12-31-2007, 09:16 AM
Rockbox Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjs162216 View Post
Yea, however the preview theme doesn't work anymore with the latest sim.

Best thing, during this discussion viewports got from "There's no progress, noone can see anything of viewports at all" to "nearly to commit". Great stuff. With viewports one of the major disputes between Devs and Eye-candy community(yes, I'm one of them) will fade out. Hopefully there will be more peace between these groups.

Old 12-31-2007, 12:55 PM

I seems that people make their opinions public before they know anything about it.

I suppose we can use the excuse that: "We are humans."

Old 01-01-2008, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjs162216 View Post
I just tried the new Viewports patch in conjunction with Digi's port of the KratoJet theme. Works pretty well, except that it's hit-and-miss with album art. I wonder if it needs to be a certain size? But it compiles and runs and looks fine for me.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:13 PM

Yeah i just tried it and the album art does have problems. When i go o the next song it the album art gets a, about 20px, bar through it that shows the background behind it.

Seems to work good other then that, though.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:10 PM

Yeah, I noticed the missing bar after I started using it on my sansa. Didn't catch it in the sim since I didn't change songs...

I believe it is a problem with the .wps file. I think there is a viewport covering that part of the AA. Maybe it is too long and it wraps? I don't have time now... I might have a look at it tomorrow. If anyone else wants to have a look, feel free.