android
Old 12-25-2007, 11:33 AM

Default How do I "put the binary in the root of the Clip"?

Administrators, and other smart folks, advise me to avoid the Sandisk Updater App and simply update firmware directly. I'm using an HP w/Vista. I need some help, please:

1. Should I ignore the Installation CD that came in the package, or go ahead and install that first?

2. Will I find "the binary" on the Installation CD? Or is it coming from the firmware zip files?

3. Where will I find "The Root of the Clip"? Is it on the device itself, or will it show up as the portable media drive, or what?

...I'm sure all of this is laughingly simple, but this is my first mp3 player, and I am completely unfamiliar with some of the terminology.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Cheers,
TTPFred

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-25-2007, 12:29 PM

Okay... The Clip can work as an usual Drive on your computer. That means, You can copy files to it. The Root folder is that folder which is not a subfolder of any folders. The Top of the folders, the first folder You see when changing to that drive.

First You have to connect Your Clip in MSC mode, for that, before You connect the USB cable to the computer, turn the keylock on (power switch down), and press the center button continouslywhile You connect it to Your computer. When You see the computer recognised a new MSC device, You can release the button.

Now, You can see a new drive with a drive letter follows the already existent ones on My computer.
From now, You use it as a simple pendrive.

The binaries are not on the CD, they located here, in this forum. You can download it from here, extract the files, and copy them to the Drive that indicates the Clip. If You're ready, disconnect the Clip as a You disconnect a pendrive, then remove the cable, and wait until it refreshes the software.

I hope This helps, don't mind my english.

Old 01-01-2008, 03:21 AM

1. Do whatever you want. But it's: either use the software updater that come from Sandisk, OR do it manually by copying the .bin file to "the root of the clip". If you don't know what to do, use the official way, follow instructions from Sandisk.

2. Learn to browse the forums. The "binary" is contained in a .zip file announced here:
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=22669
This is for the manual method. If you use the software updater tool from Sandisk, you will NOT have to do anything manually w/ a .bin file. The software updater will check, download and install it for you.

3. The root of the clip (if you still want to do it manually)
Knowing that C:\ is the root directory of the drive C:, once you've plugged in your Sansa Clip and it's visible as a new disk in the Explorer, the root dir of the Clip will be E:\ (if E: is the drive letter assigned to the Clip).
Simply enter the directory in the Explorer and copy the .bin file there. Instructions where to find the appropriate .bin (firmware update file) and how to copy it are available from another thread of this forum.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukrapok View Post
1. Do whatever you want. But it's: either use the software updater that come from Sandisk, OR do it manually by copying the .bin file to "the root of the clip". If you don't know what to do, use the official way, follow instructions from Sandisk.

2. Learn to browse the forums. The "binary" is contained in a .zip file announced here:
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=22669
This is for the manual method. If you use the software updater tool from Sandisk, you will NOT have to do anything manually w/ a .bin file. The software updater will check, download and install it for you.

3. The root of the clip (if you still want to do it manually)
Knowing that C:\ is the root directory of the drive C:, once you've plugged in your Sansa Clip and it's visible as a new disk in the Explorer, the root dir of the Clip will be E:\ (if E: is the drive letter assigned to the Clip).
Simply enter the directory in the Explorer and copy the .bin file there. Instructions where to find the appropriate .bin (firmware update file) and how to copy it are available from another thread of this forum.
if you install the updater, you deserve to be beat about the head and shoulders..
the short version for how to put the bin file on :: open my computer > drop the bin onto the clip icon > disconnect > done

Old 01-01-2008, 11:15 AM

Eheh right!