android
Old 11-28-2007, 07:41 AM

hi,
i just going crazy here. recieved the yp-k3jab (4gb) and want to upgrade the firmware from v 3.05 to 4.03 so the player works like every usb data storage. i dont get it to put the .rom and the .img file into the root or (self created) data folder! so the player works as a mtp i cant copy ther file thrue the win explorer...and in the samsung media studio i even cannot copy the files...am i stupid? shall i downgrade to v 1.09 or so first?
i allready rollback wmp to v10 and can feed the player with music with the sms....
the player isnt shown in the explorer/ my computer....thats whole problem...

at least the rollback of wmp wasnt enough..i had to install wmp10 ups

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-29-2007, 03:56 PM

When is their next FW updated? It's been a while now -_-

Old 12-11-2007, 10:56 PM

Default Firmware Problem

I just tried to install the firmware on my k3. When I installed it, it gave me the not enough space to download error. So I tried reformatting it and reinstalling the old hardware, but when I do that, all it does is say "upgrade failed" and my screen just turns a solid green, and I can't do anything. How do I get it back to my original firmware?

Old 12-27-2007, 11:29 PM

I just got a YPK3 on sale, and the firmware version is Ver 3.09 WA JN

I can't seem to flash the firmware update whatsoever!

I don't see a "data" folder, so I just put the firmware files at the root after the "Internal Storage" thing.

Whenever I put any of those suggested files, I just get an "Upgrade Failed", and "Invalid Image File Size" error. Has anybody ran into this problem?

I'm running a mac and it doesn't work with MTP at all. So I need UMS, kind of a bummer =(

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 12-28-2007, 06:44 PM

Default Firmware 4.10 Upgrade from 3.05

Started with YP-K3JAB which is the MTP protocol 4GB version. Firmware was 3.05.

http://www.samsung.com/my/products/a...er/yp_k3qb.asp

By clicking the support link and searching for YP-K3 I found a number of different
versions of YP-K3 players listed. I could not find any difference in the files that were downloaded. YMMV.

User Manual:
http://www.samsung.com/my/support/pr...ZG&filetype=UM

Firmware Version 4.10
http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.com/downloadfile/ContentsFile.aspx?CDSite=MY&CttFileID=1476388&CDCt tType=FM&ModelType=N&ModelName=YP-K3QB&VPath=FM/200712/20071210144103718_YP_K3_4_10_MSC_WA.zip

I first tried the windows EXE upgrade but that did not work.
I then tried the manual upgrade but that did not work.

After a couple of hours of messing around I figured out that I needed to upgrade Windows Media Player
from Version 9 to Version 11. Then things started working.

Then the YP-K3 showed up in windows explorer and I was able to copy the .rom and .img files to
the \DATA\ directory.
Note: I needed to create the DATA directory first.

I jumped directly from Version 3.05 to Version 4.10 of the firmware with no problems.

0. I used WINXP SP2 with WMP11.

1. Plug-in the player (should be detected as an MTP device)
WMP9 will detect the device and will allow download of music and creation of directory but will not work for the upgrade.
WMP11 did work for the upgrade.

2. Format the device with WMP to remove any files on the device and then create \DATA if it does not exist.

3A. Close WMP and open Windows Explorer. You should see the YP-K3 listed under My Computer as a device.

3B. Copy the YPK3.rom and YPK3.img files (4.10) in the \DATA directory of the player. Select the YPK3.IMG file
from the BLUE, LIME, MAESTRO, or RED directory depending on what colour you want the player to use.

4. Disconnect the USB cable and switch on the player by pushing and holding down the slide switch on the right until the player starts.

5. You should get the upgrading firmware screen and then it turns itself off.

6A. Switch the player on again. You now get "no space for DB. delete at least 18mb error".

6B. Plug the USB back into the computer and using Windows Explorer find the device. It should appear as a removable drive. When I clicked on it I got a message saying that the device was not formated and I then formated it as FAT32.

7. Once the device is done formating disconnect the USB cable and
switch on the player.

8. You should get the upgrading firmware screen and then updating the image screen. It then turns itself off.

9. Plug the USB back into the computer and you should now see the player in Windows Explorer.

I hope that this helps and that I was clear about the steps.

Old 12-29-2007, 03:48 AM

Thank You sir, exactly what I have been waiting for the order of updates. : )

Old 12-31-2007, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feeman_4_life View Post
I just got a YPK3 on sale, and the firmware version is Ver 3.09 WA JN

I can't seem to flash the firmware update whatsoever!
I'm having the same problem

I upgraded from 3.05 to 3.09 and now I can't install any other firmware version! I get the Invalid Image File Size Error

I need help please!

Old 01-03-2008, 06:07 AM

Default Same problem

Hey there,

I've got the same problem like several other people around here.
I upgraded from 3.05 to 3.09...Now I can't perform any firmware changes whatsoever.

I tried to downgrade to 3.05 again, as well as to upgrade on 4.03, 4.06 and 4.10...Nothing worked. I get the "Upgrade Failed" and "Invalid Image File Size" notification...Afterwards the .rom file on the internal storage of the player is gone and only the .img file is left.

If someone knew a solution I would love to here about it
Cheers,
ConsumeLord

Old 01-06-2008, 05:16 PM
generic

I'm having exactly the same problem. Picked up a K3 because I got it at a great price due to a pricing error ($80). Figured I'd give it a try. I want to access it under Linux but I cannot change the firmware from 3.0.9.

Any idea how to get the 4.10 firmware installed now?

Old 01-10-2008, 10:18 AM

Default Message from Samsung

Dear abi-Community,

Concerning the problem of upgrading the K3 from 3.09 to 4.10 I sent an Email with the following text to the German - Samsung Support:
Quote:
Dear Samsung-Support Team,

Up to Version 3.05 of the YP-K3 Firmware it was quite common among the K3 Owner-Community to upgrade on the Corean Firmware 4.06 or 4.10 to enable UMS support for K3 and avoid the MTP function. With your new Firmware 3.09 neither the upgrade to 4.10 nor the downgrade to 3.05 (to make upgrade to 4.xx possible again) seems to be possible anymore. People trying to do so, get the 'Invalid Image Size' Error. Now here is my question: Is it not approuved by Samsung that european and american users upgrade to Corean Firmware and were restrictions to prevent users from doing so introduced in Firmware version 3.09?

As for my case this development is quite unfortunate. I am not able to connect de YP-K3 as a MTP device to my computer. When I found out about the Corean Firmware which I thought might help me out, I already had 3.09 installed on my K3.

Anyways I would be glad to hear of you,
sincerely,
XXXXXXXXXXXX
as a reply I got the following email (in German):
Quote:
GutenTag Herr XXXXXXX,

vielen Dank für Ihre Anfrage.

Aufgrund der Rechtslage haben wir unsere MP3-Player als MPT-Geraete
produziert, was in anderen Laendern nicht noetig war. Daher gibt es
Firmwaretechnisch nur spezielle Versionen.
Wir weisen auch immer daraufhin, das Firmware-Upgrades auf eigene Gefahr
geschieht.

Gerne können Sie uns bei Rückfragen erneutansprechen.

Herzliche Grüße,
XXXXXXXXXXXX
in English that would be:
Quote:
Mr XXXXXXX,

Thank you very much for your request.

For reasons of legal status we decided to produce our MP3-Players as MPT-Devices which was not necessary in other countries. That is why there are special versions of firmware. We always point out that Firmware Upgrades are performed on one's own risk.

For further enquiry we would be glad to hear of you again.

Kindest Regards,
XXXXXXXXXX
They don't really answer the question...
After all I don't think they were trying introduce something to prevent people from upgrading to 4.10. They just don't want to have anything to do with it....Maybe some tinkerer might find a solution or we just have to wait for the next 3.XX firmware and try again...

Old 01-12-2008, 05:07 AM

Default Please help an idiot!

PC recognized my Y3 so copied upgrade files. K3 started updating but then had message not enough room. So went back to PC to try to delete some music files. PC said it needed formatting - did that and then again copied update files to K3.

Now initial screen comes on but then I have a blank screen with "Manual Mode" in left hand corner. Obviously shouldn't have formatted.

Anybody any suggestions?

Old 01-12-2008, 03:21 PM

Page

Did you try reset button, if yes try upgrading again.
!!! Check battery status !!!
1. Format your player.
2.Copy two files /rom and img/ !!!only one img file /blue,red or green, up to you/.
3.Disconect and turn on, twice /first firmware and second imagine upgrading/

Old 01-19-2008, 04:58 PM

Hi. I bought a K3 today and cannot upgrade from 3.09. It´s locked as others above have found. Have tried versions 3.05, 4.03, 4.06, 4.10 - manual and auto - and get ´invalid image size´ every time. Life´s too short to mess around with this MTP rubbish any more. My old Z5 can do UMS and OGG no problem. It goes back tomorrow as faulty. I´d suggest anyone else who has this problem does the same. The bottom line is where it will hurt Samsung the most - that´s all corporations care about these days. Good luck all, I´m out.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:22 AM

Default 3.09

anybody has a solution for the 3.09 problem?

Tobi

Old 02-03-2008, 05:29 PM

Default displaying music information

i just upgraded my k3 to 4.1 maestro [thanks for the help! it's really nice now] but there's quite a problem:
i read somewhere that this upgrade removes the id3 tag [is that what it's called?] and what happens is whenever i have a song that displays Traditional chinese characters, the characters get messed up and they turn into letters and a bunch of symbols. Before the upgrade, with the samsung media studio, the ID tagging allowed every file's information to be displayed as it appeared in the media studio. but now, even though i tag the files, the tagged info doesn't transfer to the player. Is there anyway around this problem? would i have to downgrade back to the previous version then?

Old 02-09-2008, 09:41 PM

hy guys , i have read that the 3.09 is a dead end ... any way around it ? someone please think of something ... i beg of you !
P.S. i saw some tutorial about the K3 HERE but its on linux ... i will try it but i have to install linux first anyone who is actually good in linux please give it a try

Old 02-13-2008, 12:07 AM

Default 3.05 manual link down..

The 3.05 MTP manual link is down.. If anyone knows where to download one, can they put one up here? thanks.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:42 AM

Default Upgrading Maestro version to UMS

Hi

I am thinking about buying Maestro version (actually I am going to exchange with my T10 4GB as I am so disappointed with its sound quality. If you are into quality of sound dont by T10)

Anyway, I heard K3 Maestro version come with lack in some feature, such as no bluetooth, but come with better sound quality as what Maestro stands for. and I am not sure whether hacked firmware posted here works on Maestro to convert it to UMS.

Has anyone done it? or do you konw what should I do to hack maestro firmeware to covert it to UMS?

I know little about it but I know that people hack Korean version firmware to be acceptable to thouse US or EU devices.

thanks heaps in advance!

I.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:05 PM

I am currently analysing Hex code for different versions and types of Firmware for K3.

I've got some different versions of Korean versions but I don't have different types of MTS versions. Can anyone provide me some previous versions of K3 firmwares?

Cheers,
I

Old 02-21-2008, 12:32 PM

I had a similar idea yesterday isikiss, but my idea was to look at the hex of the automatic upgrade program and see if i could force it to detect that i had an older version or something (so that the update button un-greyed).

Unfortunately I have no experience with this kind of thing and hardly got anywhere with it. Does this idea have any merit? Thanks.