android
Old 12-21-2007, 10:00 PM

Default Movies & SUPER

USA DVDs/WinXPPro. I am trying to convert movies using SUPER and have downloaded mencoder. I get errors for most of the files except for the leading part (displays MGM and the lion ... you know what I mean..the leaders appear to work and Play works as well for this small file). Play doesn't work for the other VOBs with the real movie sections. I have not connected the player (its wrapped under the tree).

I have tried lots of settings.

Right now I am on MPEG1 [oc] /MPEG1 [ovc] /MP3 [audio], ffmpeg, no directdecode. MenCoder is avialable on the menu. It also fails.

Video is 240:176/4:3/25fps/1152/HiQ/48KAudiuo.
Audio is 44100/2/224/default

I have tried A Shot in the Dark; and the Good, Bad & Ugly. These are VOB files. Some setting it will work on teh files for some time, other settings it throws up an ERROR right away. The errors just say to turn on or off directdecode, which I have done. I click and drug in all of the VOBs and it would only work on the first one, rest errors.

I am sure this is stupid problem, tia....

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-22-2007, 09:46 AM
Rockbox Developer

Most DVDs are encrypted with CSS encryption. In the United States, software to get past that encryption is illegal due to the DMCA (even though the option to use your DVDs on other hardware is protected by other laws, so if you could legally get to it, you could legally put it on your MP3 player).

Anyway, SUPER is a somewhat bad choice of tools. They violate several licenses including the GPL in their distribution method, and really shouldn't be supported until they get into line.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:58 AM

You could try ripping with Handbrake.

Old 12-23-2007, 11:58 AM

Thanks guys!

That is exactly what was up. I can convert previously ripped copies of stuff I own, but I can't convert over unripped movies straight from original discs. Looks like I am forced to rip all of my movies first. This is not exactly the best way for movie companies to maintain their copy rights - making me do stuff like this so I can watch them.

Old 12-23-2007, 12:05 PM
Zune Moderator

You can drag and drop the movie over to your computer and then change the file extension from .VOB to .MPEG it works 95% of the time. the only thing is unless you want to deal with find the next part of the movie manually on your player you will have to merge them all together in a video editor. and then convert the video over to something the sansa can handle.

Old 12-23-2007, 05:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If you know how to use mplayer and mencoder from the commandline. This is how I do it:
  1. Find the correct movie stream with mplayer and dump the stream (the "-dumpstream" switch) with it.
  2. Trancode to the desired format with mencoder.

After finding the correct stream, the rest can be automated with a script.

Charles

Old 12-23-2007, 06:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llorean View Post
Anyway, SUPER is a somewhat bad choice of tools. They violate several licenses including the GPL in their distribution method, and really shouldn't be supported until they get into line.
Thanks for the info. I don't use that program and I am unaware of the GPL violation. This is going into my "not recommended" list until it becomes compliant.

Charles