android
Old 12-17-2007, 06:14 PM

Great tool dude
Just a small request: An option for the file name to be the Album's name instead of cover.bmp?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-18-2007, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaCid View Post
Just a small request: An option for the file name to be the Album's name instead of cover.bmp?
Sure, I could do this, but I don't see the advantage

Old 12-18-2007, 09:57 AM
Zune Moderator

Oh that would be awesome. This would allow all music to be in the same folder.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:38 PM

I could add an option to manually enter a file name for the album art, but automatically guessing the album name is almost impossible, because your search term may contain the band name, Amazon's description often contains useless extras (like "[Limited Edition]") and folder names are also often useless.

Old 12-18-2007, 02:21 PM

I think cover.bmp or Artist-TrackName.bmp suffice for single filenames and for Albums as well.

Plus you have the latest option of multiple selection of files.

I agree with G.I.Joe

Old 12-18-2007, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
Sure, I could do this, but I don't see the advantage
I put my music folders per Artist only, not per Album =\

Old 12-19-2007, 06:40 AM

Are you willing to upload the sources? There's a number of feature's I'd like to implement in this.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by senab View Post
Are you willing to upload the sources? There's a number of feature's I'd like to implement in this.
I started RockAA as a quick and dirty tool for myself, so the source code is not very clean, the design sucks and most parts are undocumented. I'll do a clean, well designed and more efficient rewrite (might take some time, since I have exams coming up) which will be open source, but until then I'd rather keep the source code to myself

Old 12-19-2007, 11:37 AM
Rockbox Developer

Why not just release the current source for people to play with until you do the rewrite?

Old 12-19-2007, 12:02 PM

Fine, but I've warned you
Attached Files
File Type: zip rockaa.zip (11.7 KB, 18 views)

Old 12-20-2007, 07:17 AM

Just to let people know where I'm going with this.

I want to add:
  • Resizing of images [DONE]
  • Better quality JPEG's
  • Add more regional Amazon sites (eg. UK)
  • Double Click to download. [DONE]
Eventually I'd like the program to be able to automatically look at the folder structure and semi-automatically download the covers.

If anyone else can think of some ideas, feel free to say

Old 12-22-2007, 05:10 AM

OK, I've registered RockAA at SourceForge (took some time because the project got rejected at first) and I'll start working on the new version soon.
Here are some things I'll add (except the clean rewrite):

- Support for more file formats and naming schemes (by adding source code, there will be no support for external files). This will also include image resizing.
- Support for other album art sources (again by adding source code). I'll add support for the german and international version of Amazon, but you can easily add your own sources.
- Support for translations. German and english language files will be included at the beginning.
- Some GUI improvements

There will be no activity on the SourceForge site until I've finished a first, working version.
If you feel like some important feature is missing or you want to participate in the developement, just post here.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:58 AM

As G.I.Joe is rewriting the app again, I've decided to upload what i've got some far.
  • Resizing of images
  • Added UK regional Amazon site
  • Double Click to download cover.
The files are petty explanatory. The exe is a JSmooth compile executable for Windows users (double click to open it etc). The JAR is mainly meant for non Windows users.

I'd have rewrote the whole thing in time but if G.I.Joe is doing it, theres no point doing it twice. I would like to help write it though (if you want the help that is).
Attached Files
File Type: zip rockaa_exe.zip (288.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: zip rockaa_jar.zip (31.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: zip rockaa_source.zip (47.4 KB, 5 views)

Old 12-23-2007, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by senab View Post
I'd have rewrote the whole thing in time but if G.I.Joe is doing it, theres no point doing it twice. I would like to help write it though (if you want the help that is).
Sure, I can always use some help Just tell me your SourceForge account name and I'll add you to the project.
I'm almost done with the first search engines (Amazon UK, US, FR, DE, JP and SeekACover.com). Although Amazon's Java API sucks (still have to rip the images from the products' HTML pages), they turned out quite fast and stable (getting 50 results takes about 13 seconds, which already includes downloading the medium size images that are used for saving).
It's pretty easy to add new search engines, the one for SeekACover took me about 1,5 hours.
I'll check in the source code to SourceForge once I've finished most parts of the GUI and cleaned up the code a bit. I think a first release can be expected in the next 3-5 weeks.

Old 12-23-2007, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
Sure, I can always use some help Just tell me your SourceForge account name and I'll add you to the project.

I'll check in the source code to SourceForge once I've finished most parts of the GUI and cleaned up the code a bit. I think a first release can be expected in the next 3-5 weeks.
My username is the same as it is on here, senab

Old 12-26-2007, 07:56 AM

Just a small sneak preview of the new version:

The searching part is almost complete, only the saving part and the translations are still missing. There may be a first alpha release in the next 1-2 weeks.
The most noticable thing about the GUI is, that I decided to replace Java's default Look and Feel with "Synthetica Black Star" (which is free for non commercial products), because the default one looks very ugly on Linux (or at least on KDE).

Old 12-26-2007, 01:04 PM

I really like the direction RockAA is going.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:03 PM

I'm currently implementing resizing, and I have two short questions:
- Which size should the album art be resized to for Rockbox?
- And which size for the Sansa's original firmware?
According to rockbox-themes.org the size for Rockbox should be 320x320, since iPod video has a width of 320 and Gigabeat Fxx a height of 320, but I think this sizes are a too big.
I could also add saving modes for different Rockbox platforms (at least Sansa and "Maximum Size").

Edit: Oh, and by the way, I'll also need at least one translator to have a look at the english translation (once it's finished). I'll also provide a german translation. If you want to translate RockAA into another language, just contact me.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:38 PM
Rockbox Developer

I would suggest 240x240 as a maximum for Rockbox. Eventually, Rockbox will automatically resize images to whatever size they're displayed, and some WPSes use ridiculous sizes. Scaling down from "Ridiculous" will probably look better than up from "reasonable", and 240x240 is the biggest you can show on any currently supported screen. Of course, right now, the average seems to either be 100 or 130, since it has to vary from player to player anyway (320x240 screens all the way down to 132x80, and people seem to use AA on all of them).

That being said, if you don't expect the official equivalent to bitmap resizing to happen soon (no clue when it will), you could pick 100, or 130, for now, since I think a lot of WPSes uses one of those.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:30 PM

For the Sansa 100 is the most reasonable size. I think i use 128 square.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.I.Joe
Edit: Oh, and by the way, I'll also need at least one translator to have a look at the english translation (once it's finished). I'll also provide a german translation. If you want to translate RockAA into another language, just contact me.
I'd be glad to help with the english translation. I assume you're translating from German. I don't really know any German, but I could make sure things sound right.

I also write Java, if you need or want any help with development. I would really like to see a good album art program since there don't seem to be any really good ones out there right now. I currently use Albumart-qt, but I have used RockAA a little bit in the past.

Have you implemented an automatic downloading feature yet? If not, I think that is an important feature to have. It is far too tedious to manually find art for each album. Ideally, I think the program should run an automatic search based on ID3 info and then allow the user to correct bad ones.

Just my 2 cents. Like I said let me know if you want me to help with translation or code.