android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa Clip / Clip+ / Clip Zip

Old 12-04-2007, 07:11 PM

Default 2gb clip glitched after updating to 1.01.18 and moving a "bad" mp3 over

I got a 2gb sansa clip during the BF best buy sale. After upgrading the firmware to 1.01.18 via the updater, restarting it, and then shutting down/restarting it again, I tried putting on an mp3 that had been giving me trouble. Once again I got the infamous "Refreshing Database" error. However, when I hooked it up to back up to my computer to remove the mp3, I got "One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned & Windows does not recognize it."

I can sometimes view the files and directory structure, including two new folders that weren't there before the upgrade (##MUSIC# and ##PORTS#). However, I now cannot add or delete files, nor can I format it.

Another strange symptom is that the Disconnecting screen and startup screen on the unit stay on longer than they used to, at least twice as long.

I don't know if this is some sort of firmware problem, or just a defective unit, or what. Has anyone dealt with this or have any advice for how to fix it?

Last edited by Iskander; 12-04-2007 at 07:13 PM. Reason: separating the paragraphs

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-06-2007, 12:36 PM

Those directories sound suspicious (the "MUSIC" folder with the pound signs, and the PORTS directory). I don't think they should be there.

When you say you tried formatting it, did you do this from the Clip's Settings menu, or did you try formatting it via Windows Explorer? If via Windows Explorer, what happened?

Old 12-06-2007, 08:42 PM

The new firmware has also given me trouble. In MSC mode after formatting and moving a lot of stuff into it via msc it said refreshing database and never finished. Then I plugged it into the pc and unplugged it again, and it worked exept that no media files would play anymore. The music WAS on the player still. So I am formatting again now as we speak. First flaw I have found.

this is using the newest firmware. edit: it failed again. MSC mode in the newest firmware is a joke. it cannot refresh the database...

Old 12-06-2007, 08:51 PM

It works for me.

I have another problems. Posted in the other topic: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22954

Old 12-08-2007, 09:36 PM

PromisedPlanet: I tried formatting through windows explorer and I got an error message. I can't get to a menu on the player to be able to format it through the player's menu.

The ## directories seem like directories that are supposed to remain hidden from me. I'm not sure what the ##MUSIC# and ##PORTS# directories were for. I copied the contents of one of them to my PC, I think the ##MUSIC# one. It contains:
Service\
Service\Rhapsody\
Service\Rhapsody\addtolibrary.dat
Service\Rhapsody\radiopc.txt
Service\Rhapsody\ratings.dat
Service\Rhapsody\Artist\
Service\Rhapsody\Playlists\

##PORTS# contained an object.dat file that was about 27 megs.

There is also a capabilities.xml file in the root directory, I don't remember it being there before the update.

My version.sdk file identifies the product as an Express, is that normal?

Old 12-09-2007, 10:39 AM

have you tried deleting all folders in mtp and msc? then update FW..or format then update? my guess is it wont format because running processes of clip.. maybe use "unlocker" to kill any hidden processes..this shouldnt be hard to fix--maybe just several hoops to jump