android
Old 12-03-2007, 06:30 PM

Default My Sansa Clip 2G freezes..

Whenever I unplug my Sansa Clip 2G it freezes and I have to push the slider up to the power button and leave it there until it turns off. The bad thing is that I can't transfer music because when I try to unplug it, it freezes and I have to turn it off manually. It also freezes when I try to delete a song. Anyone know what the problem is? I'm using a Windows Vista Home Premium.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-03-2007, 07:00 PM

Hmm.. How old is it? I'd try exchanging it if possible, and see if the new one does the same thing

Old 12-03-2007, 09:04 PM

I just got it from Best Buy for 35$ on Black Friday. It's new new. Top shape condition. It's okay. I fixed it. I reformatted it and now it works.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:42 AM

I'm guessing that the Clip can freeze when it encounters an MP3 file or playlist that it can't parse while refreshing its database. I've had it freeze up on me when experimenting with different playlist formats, for example.

Sandisk really should have a retry/skip option there ... or fix whatever is going on when media gets corrupted while syncing. Otherwise, a lot of people are going to be returning their Clips, thinking there's a hardware problem.

Old 12-06-2007, 08:45 PM

Tonight I transferred some albums in MSC mode, then the database refreshing stopped at a point and I had to reset the clip, and connect it again. It took some time until I figured out which album causing this.

Deleted, and everything is ok now.
Except one thing. I have some files which causes the Clip to freeze or do something strange.

First when I pressed pause on a track some note showed up about synchronizing with my subscription then nothing could stop the play, it didn't stop when I pressed the play/pause key but the play and pause icon showed up correctly. Tried to select new album and play it. Nothing happens. Tried skip to next track, then it played the above mentioned new album's second track. In that album I have a track which keeps freezing the player, and one which plays back with about 50% speed!

I have the latest firmware, and the problematic tracks are all 128kbps MP3s .

Old 12-06-2007, 08:53 PM

I was wrong. Nearly every second track plays back at abut 50% speed in that album. (128kbps MP3)

Old 12-06-2007, 09:07 PM

some progress: I downloaded this program: Checkmate Mp3 Checker
It checks for MP3 corruption but don't tell what is wrong.

Anyway, the files plays back slow according to this program seem all broken.
It is interesting that Winamp plays them back with no problem. I will re encode them. But still stucked at the files causing the database update freezing.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:36 AM

from what i ever see to fix the database refresh freeze, use app like mp3tag to redo the fields on suspect songs --that worked for me even if the output loox exactly identical. ipod is forgiving and never has this prob. makes me think sans could fix this. giant pain if you load many songs and face the freeze -- gotta sort thru onexone to find the fault.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amkaos View Post
from what i ever see to fix the database refresh freeze, use app like mp3tag to redo the fields on suspect songs --that worked for me even if the output loox exactly identical. ipod is forgiving and never has this prob. makes me think sans could fix this. giant pain if you load many songs and face the freeze -- gotta sort thru onexone to find the fault.
Yeah, if this is what's really going on ... the Clip is freezing because of badly formatted media files on its flash ... then I consider that to be a firmware bug, and a pretty serious one at that.

For what it's worth, the Sansa Connect also seems to exhibit the same behavior ... though instead of freezing, it displays "error, restarting device" or something like that. Then when it restarts and (probably) encounters the same error, it just shuts down.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromisedPlanet View Post
I'm guessing that the Clip can freeze when it encounters an MP3 file or playlist that it can't parse while refreshing its database. I've had it freeze up on me when experimenting with different playlist formats, for example.

Sandisk really should have a retry/skip option there ... or fix whatever is going on when media gets corrupted while syncing. Otherwise, a lot of people are going to be returning their Clips, thinking there's a hardware problem.
You can blame it on mtp I've only loaded in msc mode and no problems to date

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 12-07-2007, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
You can blame it on mtp I've only loaded in msc mode and no problems to date
Actually, the only times I've seen this happen on my Clip, it HAS been after loading files via MSC.

I don't think it's transfer mode that's the problem, I think it might be the Clip not being able to handle files that were already corrupted before they were loaded into flash.

Old 12-07-2007, 02:27 PM

That's right. But what is corruption in this case? If Winamp plays it what is corrupt? I checked files with the program (posted above) but it doesn't say anything about the problems itself but the file is broken.
I don't know how to fix them, I can only reencode them, with some quality loss.

Old 12-07-2007, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macilaci457 View Post
That's right. But what is corruption in this case? If Winamp plays it what is corrupt? I checked files with the program (posted above) but it doesn't say anything about the problems itself but the file is broken.
I don't know how to fix them, I can only reencode them, with some quality loss.
I know, it's frustrating if that's what's happening. I'm only guessing that the Clip is hanging due to corrupt files. I saw it hanging after experimenting with differently-formatted playlist files, pushing them onto the Clip in MSC mode. I've also seen it happen with MP3 files that were created directly on the flash from a program that records off the sound card, which I think would increase the possibility of a corrupt MP3 (writing to flash too fast, etc.).

Old 12-07-2007, 03:39 PM

as long as you decided to reencode, do the mp3tag thing i posted .. if this fixes or not, youve lost nothing.. reencode just doesnt seem the rite solution .. do you have another dap? truly busted songs wouldnt play on other dap's .. a prob song i had played fine on my wifes other-than-sans dap and my ipods as well as pc players..