android
  #1  
Old 11-17-2007, 12:23 PM
macilaci457 macilaci457 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 56
Default Vibez F 4Gb / 8Gb Who's getting one?

Well, just me?
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #2  
Old 11-17-2007, 08:33 PM
rubennyc's Avatar
rubennyc rubennyc is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 166
Default

I won't be, but that's mainly because I already have a 12 GB micro-drive vibez. Are the flash ones in stock anywhere, yet? So far, I've only seen them mentioned on some European online-stores but with no solid arrival date.

No sign of 'em at any of the normal US outlets (J&R, B&H).

I'm personally most interested in a firmware upgrade that I hope will come along with it.
__________________
TrekStor vibez + Grado SR-60 = Pure bliss
TrekStor vibez + Sennheiser PX100 = Portable happines.
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 11-18-2007, 05:48 AM
macilaci457 macilaci457 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubennyc View Post
I won't be, but that's mainly because I already have a 12 GB micro-drive vibez. Are the flash ones in stock anywhere, yet? So far, I've only seen them mentioned on some European online-stores but with no solid arrival date.

No sign of 'em at any of the normal US outlets (J&R, B&H).

I'm personally most interested in a firmware upgrade that I hope will come along with it.

The USA probably a roblem. I'm in Europe and I'm following the news on the www.mp3-player.de site where first appeared with the shipping date of 30 november, but now changed to 8-14 days. So I believe it is true.

I see Your point but... I do not believe in a firmware release anymore.
This company seems to borrow technology (eg.: Karma) and about 1 year they haven't managed to manufacture a simple docking station! That's a pity. So do not expect anything. There is said that they only changing to flash memory because no more 1" hdd is available. Again, if You have a look on the Sigmatel's website, and look at the chip that Vibez uses, it has a lot more capabilities than the Vibez itself.

My dilemma was to buy an MP3 player wich is no more supported by firmware upgrades (and nor has a docking station), or the one which never had a firmware upgrade, and the docking st. is only a promise.
I thing it does not matter. So I buy the Vibez F, only I wish it would be smaller and had a dedicated lock switch, since a lether case costs about 40$, which is a bit pricy.
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 11-21-2007, 08:53 PM
rubennyc's Avatar
rubennyc rubennyc is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 166
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by macilaci457 View Post
I see Your point but... I do not believe in a firmware release anymore.
Guess what? http://www.riovolution.org/post/11529
__________________
TrekStor vibez + Grado SR-60 = Pure bliss
TrekStor vibez + Sennheiser PX100 = Portable happines.
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 11-22-2007, 12:50 PM
macilaci457 macilaci457 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubennyc View Post
Yeah, I saw it.
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 11-22-2007, 01:18 PM
dfkt's Avatar
dfkt dfkt is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 15,330
Default

Wow, finally... a friggin' year later we get a firmware update. Wonder why there's no mentioning of this firmware on trekstor.de? And what is this semi-shady trekstor-uk.co.uk site (since it doesn't host anything besides the firmware)?

I might test that version before I sell my Vibez, seems there are some real improvements in that firmware. Too bad these nifty new album art features are wasted on the Vibez' horrible screen. Anyone knows if the flash-Vibez gets a better screen?
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 11-22-2007, 02:06 PM
macilaci457 macilaci457 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
I might test that version before I sell my Vibez,
What will Your choice be then?
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 11-22-2007, 02:09 PM
dfkt's Avatar
dfkt dfkt is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 15,330
Default

I'm using the Cowon D2 as my main player, the Cowon X5L when I need more music with me, and recently grew accustomed to the really cute and good sounding Sansa Clip. I really have no need for the Vibez besides those other players. Too bad only the rockboxed X5L is capable of gapless playback, but that one feature is not enough reason for me to keep the Vibez (since I really, really hate the scroll wheel).
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 11-22-2007, 03:11 PM
macilaci457 macilaci457 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 56
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
I'm using the Cowon D2 as my main player, the Cowon X5L when I need more music with me, and recently grew accustomed to the really cute and good sounding Sansa Clip. I really have no need for the Vibez besides those other players. Too bad only the rockboxed X5L is capable of gapless playback, but that one feature is not enough reason for me to keep the Vibez (since I really, really hate the scroll wheel).

May I ask You what earphone are You using with the Clip? That cought my interest too. In fact... if it sounds really well, I may get one. My Jays q-Jay is on the way already. Do You recommend buying the clip for a very picky music fan?
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old 11-22-2007, 03:30 PM
rubennyc's Avatar
rubennyc rubennyc is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 166
Default

The site is legit. The guy hosting it and developing the firmware was part of the Rio Cambridge team that got sold to Sigmatel with the intellectual property. Now he works for TrekStor. He's also the guy that put out the Rio Carbon Developer's Cut.

Btw, I posted some screen shots in the Riovolution thread.
__________________
TrekStor vibez + Grado SR-60 = Pure bliss
TrekStor vibez + Sennheiser PX100 = Portable happines.
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old 11-22-2007, 05:30 PM
dfkt's Avatar
dfkt dfkt is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 15,330
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubennyc View Post
The site is legit. The guy hosting it and developing the firmware was part of the Rio Cambridge team that got sold to Sigmatel with the intellectual property. Now he works for TrekStor. He's also the guy that put out the Rio Carbon Developer's Cut.

Btw, I posted some screen shots in the Riovolution thread.
Thanks for the info, Rubennyc. So I take it this firmware isn't "official"? If so, great job - respect to the guy. Defector, I assume, is him (nice nick, btw).

Album art looks nice that way - too bad the screen isn't a bit better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macilaci457 View Post
May I ask You what earphone are You using with the Clip? That cought my interest too. In fact... if it sounds really well, I may get one. My Jays q-Jay is on the way already. Do You recommend buying the clip for a very picky music fan?
I mostly use the q-Jays with the Clip, sometimes the Atrios. The q-Jays perform really well with that little cheapo, the sound is very precise and resolving, bass response is warm and natural, and the Clip's soundstage is actually really good.
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old 11-22-2007, 05:38 PM
rubennyc's Avatar
rubennyc rubennyc is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 166
Default

He works for TrekStor, so it looks like it will be official when it goes RTM.
__________________
TrekStor vibez + Grado SR-60 = Pure bliss
TrekStor vibez + Sennheiser PX100 = Portable happines.
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old 12-07-2007, 07:59 PM
macilaci457 macilaci457 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 56
Default

It seems the Vibez F shipments are late. It was a month ago when I saw them coming in 1-2 weeks, but since a week it says one more month again.

Anyway, I picked up a Clip instead now. This Vibez issue disappointing me.
Maybe I use the Clip for a while and wait for the next generations of DAPs. Because I love how small the Clip is.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:42 PM.