android
Old 05-04-2007, 12:50 PM

Thumbs up SanDisk Sansa Express User Review (Gaius)

Ok I finally got this little device and had a whole 2 days to play with it so here we go.

EDIT: SORRY FOR THE LONG DELAY BUT I MADE UP FOR IT WITH AN 2 MINUTE VIDEO WALKTHROUGH OF THE PLAYER ITSELF.

Looks and quality of design:
The whole player looks more like a pricy $99 player when you first see it in action. The control pad lights up a very bright blue, which can be a little rough on people who want to keep a low profile but I think most people will appreciate the blue lighting since it makes the player look more expensive and has the added value of being bright enough to help guide a person through a dark room. While there is not much heft, the entire body feels solidly made, even if made completely out of plastic. As people have said before, the face of the player is a smudge magnet but easily wiped clean. Overall, its an attractive player with a lightweight, clean design. The lanyard is tough and has a metallic accent to it that feels strong, so thats a plus, but I know people will be annoyed that its attached to the cap and not the player. I don't really care though, since the cap attaches to the body VERY firmly and if I were to lose the cap, it would be a lot easier to find it with a long, metal accented lanyard on it. I REALLY hate losing caps on USB devices.

GUI:
Well done. Simple to navigate but not without a few quirks. During playback, some tracks will take longer to start than others, something that can be fixed with a later firmware update I suppose. The OLED display is crisp, clean looking and displays all the information you really need in a player this small. The last quirk, I'd say, is that moving down playlists is rather slow unless you press the directional buttons quickly and repeatedly like mashing a video game control pad. If you have a lot of miscellaneous songs that you want to add that arent part of an album, they had better be given a common album title, because it will be slow going to find them all otherwise. This player's interface is small and not blazingly fast so you MUST keep your music well tagged to move around efficiently. Of course, I'd suggest the same for any mp3 player but this will prove especially annoying to people that don't properly tag music. Other than that, the GUI is designed well and is only limited in terms of speed by the hardware used.

Sound quality:
The earbuds are your average set: small, cheaply made, easily disposed of. I have a pair of V-Moda Vibes so I just used those right off the bat. The quality is surprisingly good for a player this small. I was expecting worse but the bass is good, the highs are fair and the mids are clean. Overall, its not the best sound quality I've heard on an mp3 player. Expensive players like the Cowon A2 and the Creative Vision M blow it out of the water, but hey, you get what you pay for with a player this cheap. However, as I said, the sound quality is well above average and more than enough for the average listener. It's certainly not for audiophiles, but the volume is loud and every track I listened to came out exceedingly clear. Specifically, the bass lacks some of the punch and the highs lack some of the detail that high end players have. Don't let this discourage you, though. I'd say that high end players sound like a 9 and this is more like a 7.5-8 so its not going too noticable for most users.

Transfers:
The speed is quick enough for a player this size. I transferred a 135 MB album folder in 45 seconds. Of course, it's certainly not the speed you would get in a high end player like the Cowon A2, which does 700 mb in about the same time, but again, anybody who isn't too knowledgeable about hardware has to realize the limitations involved. It would have been nice to say, make this player have a dual channel OCZ type speed, which would make it on par with something like the Cowon, but again, you get what you pay for. However, considering this player will likely be in your front USB port for most of the day, filing up the player in about 5 minutes really is not bad at all. Also, it uses the MTP interface, but you DO have the option of opening it with Explorer whenever you want. Dragging and dropping is the best way to go, IMO, and this player makes it simple to do so.

Features:
-FM Radio, works well. No problems.
-I'm glad they included a voice recorder that makes VERY clear sounding WAVs. I'm impressed with the quality of recordings, and with a filesize of 222k per 15 seconds, its not so bad as people might hope, although I do kind of wish the Recorder would instead record in WMA at a selectable bitrate so we can save space. Another thing I hope comes with a firmware update is the ability to see how much space/time is left while recording so we can gauge if we had enough space on the player to say, record a lecture or something. It would make the recorder a lot handier, IMO.

Hmmm, thats about it. The Express has its flaws, but it has more than enough features and design qualities to make up for it. For a player of this class, I'd give it a 9/10, since there really is nothing on the market that comes close at this price. You can even get it for 50 dollars or less even if you use Google Checkout for the first time at some online store.

I'll answer any questions about anything I haven't covered if you guys like.

PICS!

The Express at its finest angle.

As you can see, it may attract smudges!

The all important mic, headphone jack and SD port.

The slick interface while playing a song!

The menu system in action.

And finally, I uploaded video of the entire interface to Youtube!

Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSw5b7ZpNHQ

EDIT: Youtube compression is really making the video too fuzzy for my liking. Here's the original avi that I had already compressed. It's much clearer. (Needs Xvid, ffdshow, or Divx to view)

http://upload2.net/page/download/Xpb...press.avi.html

Last edited by EnzoTen; 05-14-2007 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Needed pics and video!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-04-2007, 05:49 PM

One problem I have with the OLED screen is during the day I can't see it outside. I can't even tell if it's on. I've heard no other complaints about this so maybe it's because I live in California where it's unusually bright.
I have a non-backlit OLED screen on a cell phone that looks best in bright light. I had hoped for a similar screen on the Express. The screen does look good inside.

Old 05-05-2007, 12:04 AM

I live in California too and its definitely hard to see the GUI in the daytime. However, if I'm ever out in the sun, I'm usually walking around, paying attention to other things and just listening to the music. It's really a minor issue. I can see how it would be a problem for some people though.

Old 05-05-2007, 02:40 AM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

Nice review! Could you include some pics of the player and the GUI?

Old 05-05-2007, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
The lanyard is tough and has a metallic accent to it that feels strong, so thats a plus, but I know people will be annoyed that its attached to the cap and not the player. I don't really care though, since the cap attaches to the body VERY firmly and if I were to lose the cap, it would be a lot easier to find it with a long, metal accented lanyard on it. I REALLY hate losing caps on USB devices.
I actually think that's a good thing. I plan to have the player on my keychain and it will be a lot easier to take the player off the keychain to listen to music and plug it into the usb drive. Not to mention that if I leave it plugged in I only forget the player and not all of my keys. Will prevent getting locked out, etc.

Old 05-12-2007, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ødegård View Post
Done! And thanks for stickying it!

@Everyone: I'll be checking up on this subforum for the next few days so if anybody has anything else they need, like, a specific kind of video, a better angle of something on the player, please let me know and I'll do my best to show and explain whatever I can.

Old 05-12-2007, 02:58 PM

Player looks nice... though im sticking with buying a zen stone... sandisk had their chance with me, and from what i hear about the connect the sound quality still sucks so no more sansas for me
love the screen of this thing though... and i want to eat the middle button :S it looks so blue and tasty ^^

Old 05-13-2007, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Player looks nice... though im sticking with buying a zen stone... sandisk had their chance with me, and from what i hear about the connect the sound quality still sucks so no more sansas for me
love the screen of this thing though... and i want to eat the middle button :S it looks so blue and tasty ^^
For like 20 bucks more than a Zen Stone, you could get a Zen V Plus. Just saying.

I liked this because I got a good price for it. I had an old coupon for a store that uses Google Checkout, so I got 20 bucks off right then and there. The exact price of a Stone, and with an actual screen and built-in USB connector. I couldn't beat that. The player sounds great, looks great, and I can use it to store my documents in a separate folder, so it works beautifully as my USB data keychain. I would have spent 20 more just to get something I can pop into any computer to move my files around.

Old 05-18-2007, 02:15 PM

Did you link the Cnet review to your own here? Or at least get it up as a comment/user review there?

Old 05-19-2007, 03:55 PM

lol, video has been removed o0 why?

Old 06-29-2007, 02:16 PM

Quote:
haha. i like the blue glow.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:29 PM

come to think of it I had the insignia 1gb audio player and this looks better than it

Old 07-08-2007, 09:04 PM

Quote:
It's certainly not for audiophiles, but the volume is loud and every track I listened to came out exceedingly clear. Specifically, the bass lacks some of the punch and the highs lack some of the detail that high end players have.
The volume is not as loud as my old Sandisk 512Mb player, and I wish it was louder. BUT: my MP3s have all been MP3Gained down to 89db to remove spikes, and 89db is a bit low for some players, specially in noisy environments. So if you use MP3Gain, you'll want more than 89db if you use the Sansa Express in a noisy place.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:58 AM

Thanks, great

Old 08-30-2007, 10:22 PM

Location: avondale arizona.. better then where i use to live..

im guna be getting this pretty soon.. but i need to see what happens with my money.. dont have that much.. and this thing isnt needed.. i have a zvm that works fine.. but i would like a small flash player that can take a beating.. i go to uti and work at a garage.. so i need a durable player.. i was guna pick the stone.. but the fact that it has no expansion slot was the biggest thing for me.. the screen is a huge plus too though..
newest member is a Sansa Express 1GB

Old 09-19-2007, 10:38 AM

e250-2 years- dead - headphone jack SO, I asked Sansa if it has been rectified (09/2007)? Nope...it hasn't, so never Sansa for me again.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:48 PM

How do you find the response time of starting it up with a sd card in it?
I had an older Sansa with a regular SD card and it took a long time to boot up and read the 2gb card. I have the Insignia 1Gb model and like it for the color screen and quick startup time. It doesn't have to read the entire memory to build the library. It only does that once I disconnect it from the pc.