android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Sony Walkman

Old 11-20-2007, 05:08 AM

Default Blacklight 0.2 - Linux video converter for Walkman

I bought one of those new drag and drop walkmans about a month ago - I love it! I especially like the ClearBass. But my favourite feature is that they can be loaded through drag and drop - that's very important to me as I use Linux ;-)

It took me a couple of days to figure out how to encode video for the device - it's a bit finiky, you need to have encoded with the exact correct settings. But once I figured out the right settings (and compiled the latest version of ffmpeg, grr!), all was peachy. So I wrote a video conversion program for Linux, to convert and transfer videos to your Sony Walkman!

BlackLight Walkman Manager

It amuses me that Sony hasn't even released its own software for this Walkman.

Dependencies: Pythoncard, Python 2 or later, a recent version of ffmpeg (I recommend using the latest svn version), faac, and zenity.
Suggests: Gnome (otherwise Blacklight might not recognise your Walkman and you'll have to select it manually).
Architectures: All except PowerPC - but Mac owners are welcome to add support for the PowerPC workarounds; it's an open-source project.

The next version of this software, which I'm close on finishing, will feature a plug-in framework and the ability to transcode audio as well as video, when necessary. It will ship with a DVD-ripping plugin and an EasyTag plugin too. I might actually release Blacklight2 before Sony's software even gets to beta ;-)

Last edited by 3rdalbum; 11-20-2007 at 05:12 AM. Reason: Added architectures list

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]