android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Sony Walkman

Old 10-10-2007, 11:21 AM

Default Working for Sony direct store, selling the Walkmans...

Hi, I've just started working at a local Sony direct store at the Kuala Lumpur City Centre and am selling MP3 Walkmans. I heard a lot of complaints regarding the SonicStage and almost argued with one of my colleagues about it. Just recently, the store is selling the new Video Walkman S610, which should be good news for me. Unfortunately, there are other Walkmans with SonicStage that I need to sell, along with colleagues who are either unaware, ignorant or just plain stubborn to listen about the software's inherent problems, so as someone who empathise with your position on the software, it might be hard for me to sell them off to certain people.

So I'm writing here to ask for your advise, how am I going to make people aware of SonicStage while trying to keep my job?

Also, there's this thing called Voice of Customers, where retail assistants must report whatever legit comments, complaints, or compliments in regards to the Sony products, and the supervisors will send them to straight to Sony. Thought you might contribute on what Sony should do with their MP3 Walkmans, besides SonicStage problems, so I might report them to my supers.

In the meanwhile, I might write in to tell you what's going on in a Sony direct store in KLCC. Keep me posting.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-12-2007, 05:02 AM

I am not a expert on this, but...

Just focus on convincing people to buy ones without sonicstage (like B series, A6xx, A81x, and probably A9xx series)..... seriously this is the way to not piss off your customers and make them come back to your store.

If the person really interest in those using sonicstage, just tell them that those player only supports single media management program called Sonicstage (which is vastly inferior to any softwares available today.) If they still intend to buy that crappy one.... well, that's their choice to select inferior technology.

By the way, I am using A818 and it is a excellent player.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:21 PM

I've used SonicStage for around 2 years and in general I haven't had too many problems with it. If you have any basic computer knowledge there isn't really too much hassle with it. The older versions weren't as great but with version 4.3 most of the kinks are worked out and most people I imagine should be fine. There's some occasional errors I get when updating album art, but nothing really over the top.

I imagine people's main issue is that it can be a bit time consuming, and thus they rather prefer a 'drag and drop' method. You got to go through the hassle of importing all your music to the SonicStage Library then you'll want to update all your artist info which takes some additional time. Then after that you have to transfer the music. The transfer speed isn't too bad if you convert the music as is, but if you choose to use Atrac Compression it'll take some time longer.

You can also alternatively use Connect software, but I prefer SonicStage. I probably wouldn't recommend it to an average customer, but do what you got to do.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:59 PM

As for the whole 'Voice of Customers' thing I think Sony honestly has a solid line up at the moment. Their biggest problem a year and a half ago was that they had nothing to offer that could display pictures and play video, I actually wrote them about it on one occasion. However they corrected that problem and they have a competitive range of players to offer.
A couple things they could probably work on is: 1) Having a cheaper entry level series; their current entry level the B100 series are nice players, but are a higher price than all the other players in that same market. They don't really offer anything over the top that the over other players, and thus probably won't really be attracting too many people. 2) A high Capacity player would also be another option, something 20-60GB would be a good idea in the future, but also not something they should tackle until they establish themselves a little more.

Overall I think the biggest obstacle they have to conquer is better establishing themselves in the MP3 Player market. It's tough when Apple has such a strong grasp on it, and most other brands I feel have been more acquainted with it as well. Only as of recent does Sony now have a solid competitive line up IMO, so they really need to get some exposure out that they should be a choice to be considered. I still feel only a selective audience will look at Sony's, but this is growing and attracting a new audience especially with their new video players.

No offense meant, and this is largely based on my personal opinion.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:39 PM

Can windows media player or real player not be used to transfer songs instead of sonic stage?

I think its best to do what wnmnkh said, and emphasise the brilliance of other players that do not use sonic stage, but how long will it be before sony's other software encounters problems? I for one will never buy another sony product again.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:42 PM

Default Off topic on Walkman Cellphones

Since you're working at Sony Store, can you tell me if the phones they sell there are locked or unlocked? Or can I get an unlocked version in the Sony Store?

Old 11-19-2007, 10:16 AM

@Altercator

I believe that the SonicStage Video Walkmans support OTG playlists. This is a pretty important feature IMO, so you might want to include this in your sales pitch. Its something that I DEFINITELY wish my A818 had!

Just a thought...