android
Old 04-30-2007, 03:57 PM

Default T10 2GB UMS Conversion?

I'm not as cutting edge as some of you users out there, so bare with me please.
I currently use an 895 with 512 memory (had it for a couple years now). This has for the most part worked fine for me as 99 percent of my listening is audiobooks. Maybe it's my memory in the last year or two, but I used to be much more on the ball about deleting old chapters and adding new ones, but much of the time anymore I find myself hitting the end of my files, and not having anything else to listen to until I'm able to get to my computer to (re)fill. So I'd like to go to a larger capacity unit to hold more books. I can't see going with a 1 gig model with the small price gap to a 2 gig player so that's my reason for looking at the 2 gig version.

From doing some reading around, it appears that the newer iriver players tie into Windows Media Player 11 and force you to use that interface to transfer files. However, I have no want to use/install it on any of my computers and put up with the potential headaches associated with more bloatware. My computers run stripped down versions of XP that don't install any software like WMP and I don't plan on bogging them down now.

Iriver has a conversion utility that will allow T10s to be converted to UMS, but the instructions note that the program will not work on the 2 gig model, "however" the European models are supposed to support UMS (whether this is out of the box or by firmware mod I don't know).

So, after all my typing....does anyone know if the US T10 2G can be converted to UMS? If not, anyone know of a on-line source for the purchase of the European model? I like the simple set-up of Iriver players and really would like to keep a style similar to what I have now, but with more room. I guess I can ask here in the Forums for advice on a different makers player if I have to.

Thanks for any help. I just joined up here and hope to do some reading up as I have time. I'm looking forward to doing so, but there just seems to be soooo much information to dig into for someone with "simpler" expectations than you all have. I will say though, that the Clix that I saw while on the Iriver website does look very nice. If I actually had a use for something like that it'd be a fun toy to have.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-30-2007, 06:20 PM

I know people have been able to switch to UMS on a 2gig for a while now using the iriver updater program, just like the other T10s did. It should give you the option to switch to UMS after it tells you to plug in your T10, or fairly soon after that step.

My Deviant Art page - they make great wallpapers

Old 04-30-2007, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorcorps View Post
I know people have been able to switch to UMS on a 2gig for a while now using the iriver updater program
Thanks for the reply.
I had seen on the Iriver website, as well as on a couple websites that people had used that program to switch over to UMS, but Iriver states that it will only work on the EU version, and (although I'm not completely sure about this) I think the websites I read had mentioned of people using the program to go back and forth on the EU versions. I'm wondering if anyone has used the program on a US version? I'd hate to run it and either get a message that it can't because it's a US version, or end up flashing the unit and making it inop.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:05 PM

Yes, you can switch the T10 2GB to UMS.
No, it's not just for the EU version.

Simply download the firmware updater from the iriver America site. Make sure you put in a full, fresh battery before updating the firmware. Run the updater, connect the player when it tells you, then turn the player on. The updater will recognize the player, then look for the MTP<->UMS icon on the bottom left corner of the updater's screen.

Click the icon, it will ask if you are sure you want to convert to UMS, click yes. Then follow the directions on the updater screen, wait when it tells you to disconnect the player. Then set the player down and don't touch any buttons, the player's screen will tell you not to touch buttons until the firmware update is complete.

Once it's complete the player shuts down. Turn it back on and you now have a fully UMS device that will work on any computer that recognizes an external hard drive.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:48 AM

For what it's worth, I have the 1gb t10 and have used it with RealPlayer also. So I am sure there are other programs besides Windows Media Player (WMP) that you can use.

Old 07-29-2007, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONES129 View Post
So I am sure there are other programs besides Windows Media Player (WMP) that you can use.
Yep, it also works with Media Monkey, Yahoo Music Manager, and any other MTP (media transfer protocol) software you might want to use. If converted to UMS it will work with iriver music manager, or you can just drag and drop from Windows Explorer.

Just to be clear, if left as MTP drag and drop from Windows Explorer still works. The only difference is you don't have the full and complete control of UMS, meaning you can't rename files or folders directly on the player. You have to rename files/folders on the Windows Explorer desktop, then either drag and drop or copy/paste over to T10. If converted to UMS then you have complete control and T10 will work just like any other external drive.

Old 11-18-2007, 12:05 PM

Here's the link to the MTP <> UMS conversion. HTH

http://www.iriveramerica.com/support/mtpupdate/