android
Old 07-11-2007, 05:39 PM

Default iAudio U3 firmware snafu

Received my Cowon U3 today, and it's an amazing little player... that is, until I apparently downloaded an earlier firmware version to the device. I searched Cowon's site and unfortunately downloaded 1.23, when the latest is 1.29. Now it flashes the starting screen endlessly. I can't format it either, as windows shows the device as removable, and windows prompts me to "add a disk" to the drive. Have tried it on my desktop and laptop, to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Great forum, btw.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-11-2007, 07:56 PM
ABI Founder

Seems like many people are having this problem. Myself included. I have tried on Vista, XP, and Ubuntu. Nothing... I talked to cowon and they told me to send it to them...

Also, i read that you should try to "reflash" the firmware by holding the pause button down when you plug it in... that is not working for me.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:29 PM

Sorry to hear. I thought mine was ghosted by the windows machine, but not the case. It was originally recognized correctly as an MSD, but now it shows as a CD/DVD type. IOW, I can't format with JetShell. Unfortunate, as these devices are the best thing going on specs, but the firmware is laughable.

My fault for flashing a previous firmware revision, but the U3 firmware link on the Cowon USA site links to version 1.23!

In any event, the retailer has accepted the device for an exchange. At least I'll be getting a working U3. I bought an iriver T10 off ebay for my workout device. The Cowon drove my Shure SE-530s very well; I hope the iriver is up to the task.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticus View Post
Received my Cowon U3 today, and it's an amazing little player... that is, until I apparently downloaded an earlier firmware version to the device. I searched Cowon's site and unfortunately downloaded 1.23, when the latest is 1.29. Now it flashes the starting screen endlessly. I can't format it either, as windows shows the device as removable, and windows prompts me to "add a disk" to the drive. Have tried it on my desktop and laptop, to no avail.

Great forum, btw.
Hi!
I had a similar problem with my U3. It went dead/brick.
Then I search and found through someone on other forum drivers and application that restore U3 to FW 1.x.
The thing works.
PM me and I will send it to you. You try it at your own risk...
For me it worked no problem. I tought I would make a paperweight with mine but now it is revived!!

Old 08-07-2007, 08:39 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticus View Post

Great forum, btw.
Thanks for posting this information. I have one on order from ebay. I probably would have done the same thing if I hadn't read your post. Sorry you had this problem but lucky for you, you bought from a decent place to exchange it for you.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:01 AM

YW. I purchased my U3 at newegg.com and I've always been pleased with their service. The Cowon U3 is a great little DAP. I did have an occasional issue in MTP mode and Yahoo Music Unlimited, so I've formatted the U3 for UMS and won't go back to subscription services. Enjoy your U3!

ZenVisionM60; CowonU3; iRiverT10; Shure SE530; assorted cans; RaySamuels B52

Old 11-17-2007, 10:03 AM

Jones: I just realized we share more than one player; great minds think alike.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribou679 View Post
Hi!
I had a similar problem with my U3. It went dead/brick.
Then I search and found through someone on other forum drivers and application that restore U3 to FW 1.x.
The thing works.
PM me and I will send it to you. You try it at your own risk...
For me it worked no problem. I tought I would make a paperweight with mine but now it is revived!!
i happen to know such a program of which you speak. Found Here (use at your own risk as stated in that topic)