android
Old 11-12-2007, 03:11 PM

hm, all this is very interesting, I think that however it's implemented it has to be automated. To make things simple here is my scenario-

I love album art, but have none on my sansa I have most of it in a folder with random file names things (stuff like 01265gght14) and in jpeg all I want to do is convert it to bmp, re-name to cover.bmp and put it in the album folder. Ok no bigge, converter, resiser, and rename. 200 times. Not gonna happen, make a program do it for me!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-12-2007, 03:18 PM
Rockbox Developer

There are programs that can auto-convert all files to bmp. However I don't know any program that allows you to rename it to cover.bmp in a run, since they don't allow static filenames in the mask. Putting it in the album folder is only possible to automate when you have the same filestructure on the player as on the PC.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Just a note (since I know this doesn't help pienose specifically): Larc0s' (Windows-only) Album Art Converter allows you to batch convert all your jpegs to bitmaps and name them cover.bmp at the same time, provided your jpegs currently have the same name ("folder.jpg" for example). It places the bitmaps in the same folder as the pre-existing jpegs, however, so it really only works when your album art files are already separated into the appropriate album folders (as mine are).

Old 11-12-2007, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kugel View Post
But if you think about that. There isn't real reason to store the album art in the file, is it? I mean, you have 15 songs per album, and the album art is stored in each song.
I understand your point, but in my case, I don't keep all the tracks of my CDs on my computer, since I prefer to keep the ones I like the most. So I end up with 2-3 or 4 songs per album. If I store album art in a jpg mask, it means a LOT of folders. I think it would make my library a lot messier.

So I prefer giving up a little space on every mp3 to add embedded artwork. But again, it's my lawn so I cut it my way

Old 11-12-2007, 05:22 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
Nice assumption Llorean, but funnily enough I do realise that all of my PCs are faster than my DAP. I like the way that you assume people wouldn't want to give up some battery life for a life without hassle.
I don't see him assuming that you wouldn't give up battery life. You probably would, but you're not a developer, so it doesn't really matter. What matters is the people working on the project aren't willing to make that trade off, so its not going to happen.

That means you can either start your own custom build and make that decision yourself, or find a way to implement what you want efficiently enough that people are willing to accept it.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pienose View Post
hm, all this is very interesting, I think that however it's implemented it has to be automated. To make things simple here is my scenario-

I love album art, but have none on my sansa I have most of it in a folder with random file names things (stuff like 01265gght14) and in jpeg all I want to do is convert it to bmp, re-name to cover.bmp and put it in the album folder. Ok no bigge, converter, resiser, and rename. 200 times. Not gonna happen, make a program do it for me!
Quote:
There are programs that can auto-convert all files to bmp. However I don't know any program that allows you to rename it to cover.bmp in a run, since they don't allow static filenames in the mask. Putting it in the album folder is only possible to automate when you have the same filestructure on the player as on the PC.
FastStone photo resizer does all of that : Convert, rename and respect folder structure.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:38 PM
Rockbox Developer

My point is that you CANNOT recover the battery life by turning it off, because the code is still there taking up RAM.

This is the part you seem to be missing: There's really two choices:
1) Someone writes an automated script for the computer. You run it once, quickly, and it prepares your album art for use with Rockbox. People who don't use album art don't use the scrip, and the RAM is conserved.
2) You take the RAM away from people who will never use album art, because you can't be bothered to run a script.

Both 1 and 2 require somebody doing the work, and in the case of 1 it's really already been mostly done.

I do agree that with the FFT idea Saratoga says, the RAM can be preserved, and it'd allow a higher quality resize. My point is more in relation to the jpeg code.

That's the bit that seems to be missed: This is a decision that will affect EVERYBODY, even those who won't use the feature.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:00 AM

Quote:
However I don't know any program that allows you to rename it to cover.bmp in a run, since they don't allow static filenames in the mask.
Try SansaMonkey in my Signature ;-)

Old 11-13-2007, 04:28 AM
Rockbox Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonik View Post
FastStone photo resizer does all of that : Convert, rename and respect folder structure.
I tried that tool, and it doesn't allow to auto-name all files to cover.bmp, it asks for a * or #.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
Just a note (since I know this doesn't help pienose specifically): Larc0s' (Windows-only) Album Art Converter allows you to batch convert all your jpegs to bitmaps and name them cover.bmp at the same time, provided your jpegs currently have the same name ("folder.jpg" for example). It places the bitmaps in the same folder as the pre-existing jpegs, however, so it really only works when your album art files are already separated into the appropriate album folders (as mine are).
Hi all. Just an fyi, I have been using Larc0s' AA Converter too, and it is a great tool. You do have to have the images in the right folders, but it supports wildcards so you can just put an asterisk in the box for jpg name and it will convert any jpg to bmp. Put 'cover' in the bmp name field and presto. You can specifiy size or have them all match the original. The only quirk I have noticed is that the jpg's must end in .jpg and not .jpeg.

-- Sol

Old 11-13-2007, 02:10 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
yes, but I need something for lunix