android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Samsung > Samsung T10

Old 10-31-2007, 07:06 PM

Default Contacted support re: firmware update problem... at least I'm not crazy.

Got tired of trying and failing to update the firmware, so called Samsung tech support. They walked me through all the steps, turned on the player, and, you guessed it, no update. I am somewhat relieved after confirming that my previous attempts were correct. The process just doesn't work.

Unfortunately, this means that there is a problem with these players. The firmware upgrade steps do not work as designed, much to the surprise of the tech I spoke with.

I have been assigned a transaction number, to be given to a "Senior Level Technician". All the Senior techs have gone home for the evening however, so I will have to call back tomorrow.

I will post back with what unfolds, and a fix, if one is available.

Vaughn
http://www.vaughnsphotoart.com

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-01-2007, 10:53 AM

Default F/w Upgrade resolution

what version is currently on your player and are you attempting the upgrade according to the manual?

I just upgraded from 1.15 to 1.20 with no problem. I pasted the ROM and RSC right into the internal storage and then disconnected the device. When I powered it back on, it began upgrading the f/w. In the lower right corner you should see 1/5, 2/5, etc.. after the third one I wasn't sure if it powered off so I powered again it continued until 5/5. Upgrade successful.

Old 11-01-2007, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmafly10 View Post
what version is currently on your player and are you attempting the upgrade according to the manual?
I have version 1.19bb

I am doing exactly what it says in the manual.

I spoke with a tech, who walked me through all the steps, just as I had been doing them. It didn't work.

Old 11-01-2007, 02:27 PM

What a strange conversation. The guy I spoke to was very confrontational. I said I was trying to upgrade my firmware according to the instructions, but it doesn't work.
"Well, why do you want to do that?"
Because I want to keep my player up to date. I understand new features are due to be released soon.
"What features are you looking for?"
I mentioned bluetooth upgrades I hear are in the works.
"No, absolutely not. Bluetooth for the T10 will remain as is."
Ok. But, I still want to keep up to date with the latest features."
"What features to you think you're missing?"
Well, I hope that an update will come out that will make the player work like a USB storage device.
"That will never happen. We only did that for one player ever [he named a model number here I can't recall], and it wasn't popular."
Hmm, that's too bad. I know others who want the same thing. Well, too bad. I'll pass this info along in the forums.
"Ok."
... pause ...
I still need to be able to update my firmware though.
"Well, okay. Did you ... [and he runs through all the same stuff I did with the first level tech support]. And when you turn it on, you see the upgrade screen, right?"
Wrong. Nothing happens. It says at the current version.
"It should upgrade then."
So I'm told.

==============
Ok... editorial comment here... what the hell was up with the interrogation? Why do I have to PROVE I have a use for an update, before they will help me with it? I'm rather disgruntled with my experience.

Not to mention that I think he told me some BS in there, for instance, with regard to only one player ever having USB storage type firmware.
==============

Ok, getting down to the meat and potatoes, this is what he told me. He said my player is not updating because the version that is on the website is the same version I have in my player. I asked, then why have the version numbers changed? He then answered some question I hadn't asked. So I asked again... why do the version numbers keep changing, if the file is exactly the same? He says every time they publish the file to the website, it auto-updates the version number.

Which is right about the stupidest thing I've ever heard. So stupid, I question whether it's correct. But that's what they said.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:57 AM

Hey thanks for going through that hassle misterx. I've been trying to figure out what the deal is with the firmware for this thing (not to mention how I would like to reconfigure the device to be used as a simple USB device). Sounds like we shouldn't expect much in the way of new firmware updates...

Old 11-02-2007, 10:05 AM

Default i called also

figured i'd see how helpful they are. And they're not. 23 minutes later, they had nothing to offer. There isn't supposed to be any cell bluetooth ability with this one at all, what it is now is it. First they said no BT support in U.S. then changed when i got to the "2nd teir".

They basically had nothing to offer as far as info to firmware or anything, it took about four tries to get them to understand T10, then they really asked me if i was sure it was a T10 later.

Sounds like the reason those execs left to form iriver was for good reason.

Just keep in mind, your T10 has a voice recorder.

You shouldn't have tried to explain why you want firmware, it is supposed to do it and doesn't, thats all he needs, don't dance with an idiot, get someone else on the line, that was some of the worst service i've ever heard. I'd call back for some one else if i were you.

Old 11-03-2007, 10:35 AM

Smile Samsung is not the faceless monolith I have so far supposed.

Friday something VERY unexpected happened... I got an email from an individual within Samsung's knowledge base team. This person actively reads forums and other internet sources, listening to how people use their products, what they like and don't like, etc, and passes the info along to Samsung's VOC (Voice of the Customer) department. They had read my post here, researched my case, and apologized for the poor service I had received. They said they would personally help me with my issues, and get me some answers.

First of all, they checked with marketing... the T-10 *is* going to have Bluetooth phone support, but it has been pushed back until December. So the senior tech misinformed me on that.

Second, regarding UMS support, "Regarding UMS and MSC support, I was informed once that if a manufacturer wants to provide support for UMS on an MTP device, there are additional licenses and fees associated". The rep said that they are strongly lobbying for UMS support for this device however, and providing feedback from forums such as these as evidence of what the public wants. So speak up people!

Third, regarding firmware updates, the rep suggests that even if the firmware on the server is the same firmware as on the player, copying the files onto the player should reinstall the firmware. So there may in fact be an issue with this aspect of the device. The rep has given me an extensive set of new things to try however that I haven't run through yet, so we're still working on it.

BTW, I keep referring to this person as "the rep" or "they" because they asked I not identify them by name. They had their info posted to a forum once and got way more communications than they could handle.

I want to pass along one quote however... "
I’m working on it and I won’t quit – guarantee."

Sounds like we've got someone on our side.

Old 11-03-2007, 11:41 AM

That sounds awesome! Thank you for all the attention you're giving to this, misterx! And if you get the chance, tell the rep (or if he reads this thread further than you first posting) thank you very much for at least taking the time to look into this matter further. It is quite frustrating to trying and follow a set of instructions from the manufacturer, only to have it not work at all. Hopefully there will actually be a way to upgrade the firmwares on the T10JABY-XXA (or other) players, especially now that the Bluetooth phone support IS scheduled to happen.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:14 AM

Default Thats to bad...

It is good that you got someone from the company who is willing to work with you, it is a shame that that is their best foot forward, only after getting several rounds of unacceptable service.

Frankly the lack of service i got when I called was bad, but had they been confrontational with me like you, my T10 would be on ebay and I'd buy from another company, simple as that.

There are far to many companies and products now days for the attitude and service samsung dishes out, I didn't have a problem when I called, and they still weren't helpful in the least, and considering the shining light for them is one tech online, that company needs to seriously promote that guy and listen to what he has to say.

I'd like the UMS support. My T7 has it and is a samsung, so hopefully they'll get on it.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:08 AM

I have to say that I have the same problems as everybody on this forum who owns a T10. Great technology, fair music store system and all, but poor platform support. No Linux, no OSX. And, strange enough, no mp4 support on the audio side, even though you can play (or at least convert) mp4 video files. Were does that make sense? I would guess, since AAC is a license product (as far as I know), Samsung is not willing to pay for it. But futhermore, I think Samsung is trying to build up a service and hardware system, like Apple did with the iPod, so the T10 has no Mac support at all.
That's pretty sad for people like me, who are using Macs (for working reasons) but don' want to use a much too expensive, not that good mp3/mp4 player like the iPod. For me the T10 is a serious iPod (nano) killer. Better price, far more elegant (in my eye) and an far more exellent display and navigation.
I personally think, Apple would get a bigger Problem, if Samsung would develop there Media Center for Mac...
It is a bit dissapointing that there is no AAC suppport, even though the IFA prospect and the german Samsung website (still) says so, but the real turn off is the lack of cross plattform support, wether it is the Samsung Media Center, or an UMS firmware. One of those would make this a really brilliant product for everybody.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:55 AM
Ultra Senior Member

sir_rath, there is the option of XNJB for using MTP players on OSX, and I'm sure there are a few Mac programs which can convert video to WMV9 (320X240, 30fps). I haven't tried XNJB before, but others using Samsung players and OSX have done so successfully.

As for AAC, Samsung do have plans to incorporate support into the P2, so there is also the possibility that the T10 will. (Although I would say that mp4 is no more supported than AAC, since both can only be played after conversion.)

Old 11-06-2007, 12:23 PM

Converting the movies is not the problem. That is my job ;-) The problem is the quality of compression. And I think H.264 is an extrodinary codec. My question is: since HD media compression is totally based around this codec and it is one of the two new industry standarts, why is it not the standart for all multimedia devices? It works fine on PS3 and PSP. The PS3 has become my multimedia hub. And since I converted ALL of my CDs to m4a, it is really annoying that the T10 isn't using this codec. And I wonder why.
But anyway thanks for the tip concerning OSX and MTP. I'll instantly give it a try.

Old 11-07-2007, 02:28 AM

Unfortunately XNJB does not recognize the T10. But I will keep an eye on it. Maybe an update of the program will resolve this problem. Thanks again for the tip though.

Old 11-07-2007, 02:05 PM

One question for misterx. Would these "alternative" methods possible require a low level format with an install of the latest firmware as the "Original" firmware? It seems like the only way to get new firmware on is to trick the player into thinking its a new system and the newest firmware is the only firmware to ever have been on it. I won't try it yet until I know that a low level format wont kill the file structure and the menu styles (along with all the separate folders.)

Old 11-09-2007, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zolxen View Post
One question for misterx. Would these "alternative" methods possible require a low level format with an install of the latest firmware as the "Original" firmware?
The rep has referred to "recovery mode" which can be used to install new firmware on some Samsung models, but is still trying to get answers from R&D in Korea what is supported on this model.

Anybody know how to put a T9 into recovery mode? Maybe it's similar?

I'd say be careful though, sounds like a good way to "brick" your player too.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:30 PM

I thought the recovery mode was Menu + Repeat AB on the T9, tho that may just be a reset combination. The touch buttons make it a bit hard to start the player with a button pressed. Now, there is a reset button on the back of the player (VERY tiny hole right above the serial and model badging on the back). I know this wont brick the player being a button directly on the player, tho it will probably will wipe the entire thing clean. maybe the T10 needs a completely empty system to do an upgrade? Shouldnt, but then again, it should be installing a new firmware regardless... I might have to try it, backup everything to my computer and try to reset it. Also, just a thought. I wonder if Best Buy, for some reason, disabled the ability to upgrade their "branded" T10's... Kind of a conspiracy theory, granted, but not so outlandish.

[EDIT]

Question, anyone get theirs from Circuit City, and if so, what firmware version is on the player?

Old 11-11-2007, 11:17 PM

Alright, apparently MTP, being a relatively newer Microsoft File Transfer protocol, is only supported on Windows XP or Vista. XP needs WMP 10 or 11 installed, Vista does it natively. I tried in my laptop (Running Win2K), and it cant even install drivers for it. I thought that maybe WMP 11 was messing something up, and tried rolling back to WMP 10 on my main computer, but 11 is like napalm, it aint comin' off my system. I'm stuck as to what to try next. I tried formatting (through the player itself), 6 megs are in use, and still not able to install new firmware. Since those 6 megs are hidden system files (and I cant back them up, even with show hidden files on), I wont be able to low level format the drive since I cant put those 6 megs back on after the format. I dont know if that 6 megs is only the 1.19 BB firmware, or of the Firmware gets directly written to some kind of PROM (tho I doubt it since Samsung recommends 40 megs free on device, tho that may be just the space to drop the the ROM and RSC files.) If that is the case, the 6 megs may contain instructions for the player on how to handle ROM and RSC files (firmware install). Without a way to back up those 6 megs, a low level format WILL brick the player (turn it into a 150 dollar 4 gig flash drive) since those instructions will be lost. Maybe I'll try and find out what firmware the Circuit City players ship with and if it differs from the Best Buy ones, might return the BB one, and get the CC one. My player's full model designation is YP-T10JABY/XAA running firmware 1.19 BB.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:35 AM

HURRAY! The new version of XNJB (1.4.13) supports the T10! Thanks again for the tip!

Old 11-12-2007, 06:00 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_rath View Post
HURRAY! The new version of XNJB (1.4.13) supports the T10! Thanks again for the tip!
Hey, that's good to hear. By the way, what 'level of access' does XNJB provide? Do you have to transfer files though a program, or is pure drag-and-drop permitted, and can you transfer anything file to the T10, or just media?

Old 11-12-2007, 07:39 AM

You just can transfer music through the program and it seems like you cannot drop any other files onto the device. But maybe following updates will solve this issues.