android
Old 10-25-2007, 04:28 PM

Default Open firmware for 604 ?

Read ArchosLounge (Sorry it's in French and in German):

http://www.archoslounge.net/La-4eme-...n-crackee.html

If it's true...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-25-2007, 05:21 PM

I think that firmware is based on the highly sophisticated "JPEG" format...

I read the German forum thread, and it isn't informative nor did the guy tell how he made it - if it's based on Rockbox, Linux, or something else. Seems a bit fishy...

Old 10-25-2007, 08:18 PM

Page not too shocked

Archos players have been a favorite for homebrewers
Even the first custom firmware was Rockbox (you may have heard of it )
Though Rockbox moved on to more popular players there are projects like MediOS that do later players have have liked added file support and emulators
Archos was forced to release their Source code for the 604 because of a GNU violation to I expected this a lot sooner

Old 10-26-2007, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nice View Post
Archos was forced to release their Source code for the 604 because of a GNU violation to I expected this a lot sooner
This changes quite a bit. However, I'm still curious why there's no Rockbox port for the Gen4 players yet, not even in the "in development" list?

Old 10-26-2007, 11:49 AM

Page

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
This changes quite a bit. However, I'm still curious why there's no Rockbox port for the Gen4 players yet, not even in the "in development" list?
here's the source code download page
http://www.archos.com/support/downlo...pl_notice.html

and about Rockbox, it started as an Archos project because the founder owned one. But since then it looks like they just move to which ever players are in popular request, obviously the iPods of the late. They also did the Sansa e200 and c200 at the request of SanDisk

Old 10-26-2007, 11:57 AM

Yeah I know, I'm running Rockbox on my Cowon X5L. I'm also aware that whoever fancies a player starts porting Rockbox to it; there's no "road map" or "schedule" or "core porting team"... just wondering why no one started a Gen4 port, since it should be a lot easier porting Rockbox when the firmware is open sourced. It's probably a rhetorical question, so no need to answer that.

Old 10-27-2007, 06:01 PM

well a number of the Archos homebrews are international so it might have something to do with that, I remember seeing on Engadget once, an iPhone style GUI created by some French guy for the 605Wifi so it might also have to do what goals are being accomplished. Rockbox also does seem to refer to one of the projects "MediOS" for some of the newer Archos (well, relative to the ones Rockbox supports)