android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 10-19-2007, 11:13 PM

I really like these AKG headphones I think I'll buy the K81 DJ. Most (about 90) of reviews on amazon say that these headphones are great. I read about the company and found out that they belong to Harman Corporation which gives me peace of mind. I know Harman have really great speakers ( my dad's car has 6 of them and they sound amazing). Found the K81's at buy.com for$49.99! after $10 discount using google checkout.

I have to admit that I have used about 6 times google checkout for the $10 discount

Thanks Almoxil! and everyone who helped.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-20-2007, 12:13 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Once you get them, you will probably want to remove the pad inside. With the pad in they sound muffled and bloated. Taking the pad out helps that buts adds some occasional harsh highs. I found other pads that were thinner and it solved both problems. Feel free to experiment.

How To Remove the Hebrew Beta firmware

Old 10-20-2007, 12:26 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Help

Slaughter, which pads did you find that can replace the stock pads for the K81 DJ's? Can they be found on eBay?

Old 10-20-2007, 09:49 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I don't mean the pads themselves, but the foam insert inside. The one I used was from an unknown pair of Beyerdynamics. I bought my 81DJ's used from a member at head-fi and he accidentally sent me the original foam inserts and a pair of beyer inserts. I had to trim the beyers to fit. Pull out your 81Dj inserts and then try to find a foam pad that is thinner and more see-through than the originals.

I was going to sell my 81DJs until I discovered that the Beyer inserts transformed them into a more enjoyable listening exerience. I still want to try the Equation RP21, but some say it is just as uncomfortable after long listening as the 81DJ.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:58 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info, Slaughter. While I'm happy with SQ from my 81DJ's, if this cheap (I guess) mod can improve the sound further, I'll go for it.

Old 10-20-2007, 12:08 PM

Good to know that. I haven't purchased them yet. I am heading to Sony Center in about 1 hour so I will try some headphones before buying online. If none of them suits me then I'll buy AKG 81DJ.

Old 10-20-2007, 02:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Just keep in mind that there are very few good sounding sony's, especially when compared to other options.

Old 10-20-2007, 05:16 PM

I'm wondering why alot of people are suggesting open cans that don't isolate, period.

Anyways, another lot for the k81djs; if you want something more "analytical" with tighter bass and harsher highs, panasonic rp-htx7. There are also sennheiser hd-201 and 202, which are said to be the best budget closed headphone, at half the price of the k81djs. Go to headroom (headphone.com) for some more in-depth suggestions.

Old 10-20-2007, 06:38 PM

4ki: the panasonic's look nice and the senheiser's too, but can they be compared with my current headphones? Altec Lansing AHS515 (this model has the mic and a diferent volume control but they are pretty much the same) They have decent bass and good treble, but I know they aren't the best.

Old 10-20-2007, 06:46 PM

Here is a pic of my headphones
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00421.JPG (138.6 KB, 14 views)