android
Old 07-12-2007, 05:36 PM

Default Whats up with the lack of archos Reviews?

I went to the review section (not reviews in forum) and I found no Archos reviews which I was really disappointed since I was thinking of buying a Archos 404 or a zen vision m.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-12-2007, 08:21 PM

I notice the same thing, but I have a 404 and I must say, I love mine. I'd be happy to share my thought if anyone would like.
Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor! Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

Old 07-13-2007, 01:42 AM

Archos Gen.5 is out! The 605Wifi 30 gb will start selling in a few days and it looks like the best on the market... http://www.engadget.com/tag/605/
I'm wondering about SQ, lots of people complain about it in gen.4 although I love my 504 and I cannot say if they're right or wrong because I don't like sound enhancements.

Old 07-13-2007, 04:27 AM

There might be a review of the new Archos x05 series coming up...

Old 07-13-2007, 06:58 AM

There may be a lack of '.04' reviews here but there are plenty from individuals all over the web. Google is your friend. Try cnet.com user opinions and newegg.com customer reviews to start.

I can't speak much on the Creative M ( I did consider it also) but if:

1. Primary use is video and if you intend to output to TV at all you will see a significant difference between Creative and Archos. Creative = 64,000 colors. Archos = 16,000,000 colors. There will be more banding in colors no matter the quality of the video using the Creative.

2. However Creative may be more codec compatible out of the box and have more accessories included vs Archos (who 'nickle and dime' you for everything... including additional codecs. But I wouldn't swear on the codec compatability being better.

3. If primary use is audio - you may not be happy with the volume limitations with Archos. And if any of my past Creative devices are an indicator - the Creative will have significantly better sound quality. (When checking out reviews and research - you'll see plenty of griping regarding this to verify it is not an isolated opinion.)

All that said I wouldn't trade my 80GB Archos 504 for an M. I watch videos and output them (if I chose) to my TV. The picture is amazing and the storage is sweet. I currently have 1024 songs, all of Season 1 Stargate SG-1, every Star Wars movie plus an additional 20 movies... then there's the first 6 Harry Potter novels and the first 100 issues of Spider-Man to read (in pdf). And I still have 38GB available. No. I'm not getting rid of the Archos anytime soon.

Last edited by eoniverse; 07-13-2007 at 07:04 AM.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoniverse View Post
Creative = 64,000 colors. Archos = 16,000,000
The ZVM and ZVW are 18bit color (260.000), not 16bit - however, a 24bit screen like on the Archos or Cowons is a lot nicer to look at, of course.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:30 AM

A massive review of the Archos 605 Wifi at ArchosLounge :

http://www.archoslounge.net/605-WiFi-Introduction.html

19-page of pics and vidéo

Old 07-13-2007, 09:47 AM

I was thinking of the 605 wifi but, I liked the 404 due to its small form factor and easier portability. I would mostly use it for videos so battery might be a problem, also I mostly download avi videos so the vision m is attractive but I have a good media transcoder (mediacoder) but it would be a bit of a hassle to do that for every video but if you have.

Old 07-21-2007, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Creative = 64,000 colors. Archos = 16,000,000 colors.
Actually I'm pretty sure it's iPod/Zune = 64K, Creative = 262K, Archos = 16Million

and yes even between 64K and 262K its noticable

Old 07-21-2007, 11:04 PM

ns pic comparison

Old 10-04-2007, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I can't speak much on the Creative M ( I did consider it also) but if:

1. Primary use is video and if you intend to output to TV at all you will see a significant difference between Creative and Archos. Creative = 64,000 colors. Archos = 16,000,000 colors. There will be more banding in colors no matter the quality of the video using the Creative.

2. However Creative may be more codec compatible out of the box and have more accessories included vs Archos (who 'nickle and dime' you for everything... including additional codecs. But I wouldn't swear on the codec compatability being better.
You can get additional codec support from Archos, but they charge money for it? Is that what you mean??

I'm looking for Video output as my primary thing (although I'd really like a flash-based player).

Old 10-04-2007, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faction View Post
You can get additional codec support from Archos, but they charge money for it? Is that what you mean??

I'm looking for Video output as my primary thing (although I'd really like a flash-based player).
Archos charges for additional codecs but the only thing missing that the Vision has built in is the mpg video, you still get wmv, and avi for free. To get mpg you need to buy the Mpeg-2 plug-in but that also gives mpeg2 video playback so you can copy entire DVDs right in

As for flash, Archos isn't usually the best option for that, the new 405 is good but seems overpriced for what you get