android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 09-07-2007, 12:13 AM

Default Bought G1 Vibes due to abi - Should I buy XB?

I bought the G1 Vibes the instant they were released, because abi praised them so much. I liked they way they sounded, really brought up the quality in the 320kbps MP3s. Though, I stopped using them after a few months because I traded in quality for convenience in Bluetooth stereo.

Almost a year later, I hear they've been walked all over and almost forgotten by the XB's? Or was it X3s? What exactly are the differences?

Are they that bad or something? The biggest nuisances from the Vibes is the lack of isolation, the plug, the length of the cable, then the microphonics.
Well, isolation is the only variable nuisance, since it depends on the situation. At home, fine. On campus, eh, depends, whether I want to get into my music/video/game, or easily have a friend catch my attention. It's more of a double-edged sword. I liked how IEMs typically isolate, so I didn't have to raise the volume and experience that pure isolated sound.

Can I get the strong and weak points between the two, and an argument to upgrade or stay? And then what to do with the Vibes? Off the bat about the XB, I don't like the red/blue coloring that connects to the bud. The red/blue strip thing looks ok. The plain silver/black one, is that availabe?

I'm planning on getting the PSP Slim (new codecs included, plus homebrew scene very likely since the firmware was just dumped by DAX) - I already bought a 4 GB Memory Stick Pro Duo (...) and a screen protector from invisible SHIELD.

I'm not really interested in perpetually purchasing electronics. I want to settle into a device and accessory and stick with it until it breaks down, so I'm kind of miffed about the Vibes being outclassed so soon (for me).

Thanks.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-07-2007, 02:49 AM
Ultra Senior Member

If you really like how the Vibes sound, then stick with them. I still have my Vibes, and haven't been interested in buying anything else. IMHO, the only valid reasons to upgrade are if your existing phones are broken, or if you find the sound lacking or unsatisfactory in some way.

Old 09-07-2007, 03:52 PM

Well, money-wise, it'd be cheaper to stay with the vibes.
Just make sure you don't tear or break the wire like I did. =)

Old 09-07-2007, 04:29 PM

Plan303e, the X3 and XB isolate more than the Vibes, but they're a lot more microphonic, and also have a straight plug. Cable is longer than on the Vibes. Build quality seems better on the Vibes.

X3s have very little bass, and lots of treble. XBs have more bass and sound more natural to me. Both have a lot more clarity than the Vibes, are more refined sounding, but have less soundstage.

If you're happy with the Vibes, you shouldn't need to upgrade. One fad of the month gets replaced by the next. They get hyped one day, just to get trampled all over the next. Yes, the XBs sound better than the Vibes, but it's entirely up to you to spend money on them - when you're already happy with what you got.

Your own opinion counts more than what you read here, or on Head-Fi. My favorite closed headphones, the DT770, get bashed all the time nowadays - but I still love them.

BTW - for god's sake, don't waste your money on that overpriced Invisible Shield stuff - get a cheap protector from Dealextreme or Kaidomain - they cost $2 (free shipping) and are really excellent quality.

Old 09-07-2007, 04:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Not to get too far off topic, but dfkt I am surprised the XB sound natural to you. The midbass overwhelms the mids and when I put my 630's in, it's like a veil has been lifted. I would assume that if you tried the 630's they would sound thin to you. This is the same reason I don't like the 880. Now I guess it could be how our ear canals and drums interpret the sound differently and the reason different people like different phones.

How To Remove the Hebrew Beta firmware

Old 09-07-2007, 05:11 PM

I meant the XBs sound natural compared to the X3s to me. I assume you would prefer the X3s, they have tons of treble and not much bass. XB = Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser, X3 = AKG, Grado - or something along the lines...

I don't know the EP630s, but the similar (I assume?) CX300 have a lot more pronounced midbass hump than my (already burned in) XBs. My CX are also a lot more muddy and veiled, with lacking midrange. The XBs have more clarity than the Super.Fi EB, almost like the Super.Fi Pro. They're no Ety ER-6, or even Atrios, but they sure don't sound overly veiled to me.

Somehow I have the feeling that not all MylarOnes sound the same, considering their sub-par quality control (breaking housings, dying drivers, ...) - who knows, maybe it's not just our varying preferences in sonic characteristics, maybe our two pairs of XBs really do sound different?

Oh, and compared to the Vibes, the XBs clarity is like an ER-4S...

Old 09-08-2007, 09:19 AM

Having both, (Vibes and XB's) when compared to each other, I like the sound of the XB's a bit better. IMO, they are more "full" sounding. Now does that mean the Vibes suck? Hell no. I just enjoy the XB's more.