android
Old 06-29-2007, 03:17 PM

Default Should I be worried about iRiver Corp?

Hi,

I am in the market for an MP3 player, and had just about settled on the iRiver Clix Gen 2. I must not be alone, because the Clix-2 8GB player comes in right behind the iPhone, Wii and PS3 on CNET's most wanted list.

However, when I started actually looking for places to purchase one, I came up almost empty. Amazon carries it, which is good, but almost none of the other big internet stores sell the thing, and none of the mid-sized guys that I looked at do either. Some of the REALLY big boys, like Circuit City and Best Buy, don't carry any iRiver products (I was hoping Circuit City would have it, since I still have a gift card there from Father's Day!)

Then, as I've been reading customer reviews on the Clix-2, I started reading some unfortunate stories about the level of customer support, some quality issues, and other problems.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but it seems as if iRiver must be having problems at a corporate level, and this might make me shy away from the Clix (based on the name of this Forum, I won't tell you which player would be my second choice! ).

Are there any rumors out there that iRiver is in trouble? Will they be in this game for the long haul?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-29-2007, 07:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I wouldn't think that iriver is in trouble. They have recently bought-over Siren (which was the number 4 DAP company in Japan at the time, and extension of Rio), and they are developing many new players at the moment. Don't be worried about the quality of iriver's products and customer support either, as people are more inclined to post on this site if they are experiencing problems, which gives the illusion that problems are much more common than they really are.

A good example is Cowon iAudio players, which are known for having a good build-quality and customer support, but there are very few places where you can buy them. Although I don't have personal experience with iriver products, I don't think that you'll regret buying a Clix2.

Old 06-29-2007, 08:04 PM

You can get the 8gb, when it comes out, from here, http://theiriverstore.com/ brick and mortar stores don't carry Clix2's. I don't know about quality, I heard that they are pretty sturdy just are scratch magnets.

Old 06-29-2007, 10:19 PM

Apparently, iRiver has decided to abandon brick-n-mortar stores in favor of using e-tailers. In addition to amazon.com, iRiver products can be found at buy.com, newwegg.com, and several others. They don't seem to be in trouble on the corporate level. In fact, with the recent introduction of new product (including the Unit 2, which has a detatchable 30GB PMP that I may just hafta spring for....) indicates exactly the opposite. They aren't going anywhere....

As to customer support, they're rather infamous for never responding to e-mails, for some reason. A phone call (after a usual 30 minute wait) traditionally has done the trick. I've never heard of iRiver failing to honor warranties....

Old 06-30-2007, 10:37 AM

Default Thanks!

That's very helpful, and mildly reassuring!

One other question, then. Is 4GB enough? or should I wait for the 8GB?

Old 06-30-2007, 02:05 PM

Is 4gb enough for you?

Old 07-01-2007, 09:33 AM

I don't know!

Seems like it oughta be. Mind you, I store my music in "lossless" formats, but I have more than 100GB of music stored on my computer. Considering how much of that I actually listen to regularly, and considering that I can convert to more "efficient" formats to store on a portable player, 4GB should be enough.

I'm wondering what the experience is out there... do you find yourself wishing you had 8 gig?

Old 07-01-2007, 09:38 AM
Ultra Senior Member

You will always want more storage as you won't be able to fit everything on either the 4GB or the 8GB, so figure out where the personal limit (for both capacity and price) is that you are both comfortable and happy with.