android
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-27-2007, 07:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello, bobqll.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobqll View Post
That was very good info Almoxil. I have a few more questions regarding the bass and sound quality.

1) I am a bass freak. The M6 was said to have had very good sound and was really good for bass and low ends. It also had bass boosting and effects such as TruBass and WOW. However, I seem to have read that the new firmwares may have removed some of that? (but I think I may have got confused and not following it properly). Do you know about that? Could you clarify whether the latest firmware on these players still gives excellent bass and boosting and effects?
The bass on both players (M6 and M3) is awesome, IMHO. Truly speaking, I rediscovered my ATH-CK7s with those players. I've never listened to a so great bass from those IEMs before. And they're believed to have a "so-so" bass. Not when paired with that machines, I can tell.

That said, bass on M6 is more pronouced than M3. The latest firmwares for both players removed SRS WOW effects as far as I know. The effects offered by the current firmware are a Spatializer setting (it seems to enhance the soundstage), a PCE (Phase Corrected Equalizer) setting, ViBE (Virtual Bass Enhancer) and some extra adjustments for the kind of headphone you're using. I can't tell you a lot about these enhancements since I'm not a fan of them. They usually make the music sound artificial, in my opinion. Of course they can be useful when used correctly, but not every kind of music will benefit from them.

From the short experience I've had with them, I can tell you that you'll be able to fully enjoy the rich sound of M3/M6 without having to use those effects. The EQ is very good and is more than enough to create a sound signature to suit your liking (and every preset is customizable). Personally, I created a user-defined EQ and adjusted bass booster and treble booster to low values. By the way, the bass and treble booster are very good too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobqll View Post
2) Do you know the names of the audio processors/chips that the M6 and M3 have? I think they are Samsung? but I want to know the exact name of the chips/processors.

Thanks.
Here is the most complete info I could find about M6 hardware. Couldn't find info on the M3, though.

Best regards!