android
Old 05-23-2007, 10:18 PM

Default Time delay accessing player from PC

I have a Vision:M and V Plus. My computer is a PC, WinXP Pro, WMP10.

I installed the Vision:M first using the supplied CD. Only installed the drivers. After installation, everything worked fine. I then installed the V Plus, again using the supplied CD. After installing the V Plus, the problem started.

When either player is connected to the PC, it is recognized immediately (shows up as working properly in Device Manager). The problem occurs when I run the software to access the player (which basically opens up an access window in Explorer). It takes between 80 and 90 seconds to respond! When it finally does respond, all the functions of the player work fine with no time delays. The only delay is when first accessing the player. There were no delays when only the Vision:M was installed - they started after installing the V Plus, and affect both.

The same time delay existed when I updated the firmware on the V Plus. There was the 80-90 second delay when the firmware installer was first run, it then installed the firmware quickly (just a few seconds), then after the V Plus reboot, it waited well over a minute and a half before finally saying the installation was complete.

A couple of notes: There are no time delays accessing the Vision:M when it was installed on another PC (same OS, WMP10) - but the V Plus is not installed. Also, in Add/Remove Programs, the Vision:M software is 9.35Mb while the V Plus is 76.29Mb! Don't know why there is such a difference, especially since I only installed the minimum software to allow the PC to connect to the player.

Any ideas on what might be causing the time delay to access the players? What about the software size discrepancies? Could I remove the software and still access the players from the PC? All I really want to do is load them up with music (and pics on the Vision:M) and update it from time to time.

Thanks for any ideas!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-23-2007, 10:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The delay could be the two different software packages trying to figure out what to do with the player and with each other. At any rate, it is the result of a conflict that takes time to self-resolve.

Your best bet if you're managing multiple Zens is to completely remove the Creative software, ensure your XP installation is completely up to date from the Windows Update site, and upgrading WMP10 to WMP11. WMP11 handles multiple Zens - even identical models - very competently.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:17 AM

Thanks for the quick response! Your explanation sure makes a lot of sense.

If I can truly remove all the Creative software and still access the players, that's what I'll do. The less junk on my PC the better! When I do that, will I still be able to manage the players through Explorer, or will I have to use WMP11? I only plan on using the PC to charge the player's batteries (in which case the PC doesn't need to access the player at all) and load them w/ music and pics. If I need to use WMP11, could you direct me to another forum that explains how to do that (how to access the players - I can install WMP11)?

Old 05-24-2007, 09:50 AM
Ultra Senior Member

You can manage them through Explorer. In fact, the MTP driver with WMP11, in conjunction with updated firmware on your players and an up-to-date XP installation (or Vista, for that matter), allows full drag-and-drop just like any UMS device.

Old 05-24-2007, 03:55 PM

Thanks again. I give this a try when I have both players so I can do all the testing at one time. I'll post a reply with the results.

Old 06-15-2007, 06:47 PM

Sorry for the delay posting my results, but my main HD died!

Installed WMP11 and just plugged in each Zen. Recognized right away, drivers loaded automatically (no Creative software required!), and able to quickly and easily work with either player through Explorer or WMP.

My only question is how do I create a playlist on the Zen without having to do it from the Zen? Everything else works great now!

Old 06-16-2007, 01:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

You can create playlists right on WMP11. Then either initiate an auto-sync, or simply drag your newly-created playlist into the sync pane.