android
Old 05-28-2007, 05:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I mentioned the Stack overflow (stkov) issue and Llorean mentioned one thing - the internal memory is SD based. Oddly, nobody* seems to have had this error before, and Llorean said that because it's never happened in SVN (although from what it looks like, it's the first time it's ever happened) it's probably a bug in the SD patch.

* From what it seems right now, from those who've responded on IRC

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-28-2007, 05:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzr View Post
As in, holding down the power button until shutdown? I had to do that to get rid of the PANIC.
Yes. OK, you did that.

Quote:
One "unique" thing, is that I used Sansapatcher to load the 'reverse bootloader', so that Sansa is the default.
Can you switch temporarily to the Official Rockbox bootloader to eliminate some possibilities? It might be based on an older bootloader which will cause problems.

Quote:
Also, when in the photo listing, pressing the middle button does nothing -- I don't get a PANIC or anything... (Is that how I'm supposed to select a picture to view?)
Either use the "Select" or the "Right" button. They both work. Hum, I don't know why select is not working for you.

I have also attached my config file. If changing the bootloader doesn't work, try using my config to see if the problems reoccur.

Charles
Attached Files
File Type: zip config.zip (604 Bytes, 4 views)

Old 05-28-2007, 05:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjs162216 View Post
I mentioned the Stack overflow (stkov) issue
Ah OK, stkov is a "stack overflow".

Quote:
it's the first time it's ever happened) it's probably a bug in the SD patch.
Could be. However, this still doesn't explain why only some people are getting it. It might be some fatal combo between that and some config values.

Quote:
* From what it seems right now, from those who've responded on IRC
I shoul actually get on IRC more often. However, my prefer mode of technical discussion is the mailinglist.

Charles

Old 05-28-2007, 06:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Llorean took a 'very quick look' (apparently quick is a few seconds) and saw the problem. I can't really explain it, but:

[18:53] <amiconn> chrisjs169: Stack is too small as the sd stack has to handle remounts with hotswap
[18:54] <amiconn> Compare ata-e200.c with ata-mmc.c ...

Since the stack is too small, it overflows, causing the problem. So I'm guessing that the problem is when doing something very fast, the stack overflows, and it panics, but you'd have to be doing something that is using the disk (starting a song while scrolling through the menu real fast?)

Old 05-28-2007, 06:03 PM

I went to the default bootloader and I put config.cfg, unrenamed, to the root Rockbox directory...

The screen looks different now... but the Photos still don't show, with either Select or Right arrow.

From the rest of the thread, the PANICs seem unrelated.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpchan View Post
Yes. OK, you did that.

Can you switch temporarily to the Official Rockbox bootloader to eliminate some possibilities? It might be based on an older bootloader which will cause problems.

Either use the "Select" or the "Right" button. They both work. Hum, I don't know why select is not working for you.

I have also attached my config file. If changing the bootloader doesn't work, try using my config to see if the problems reoccur.

Charles

Old 05-28-2007, 06:10 PM
Rockbox Developer

Quote:
I went to the default bootloader and I put config.cfg, unrenamed, to the root Rockbox directory...

The screen looks different now... but the Photos still don't show, with either Select or Right arrow.

From the rest of the thread, the PANICs seem unrelated.

Thanks
As we learned from your last build chpchan, the SVNs are atm totally broken, creating werid errors for some people, while others don't have any problem.

I guess it's the same problem as in your last build, just the error is another.

Old 05-28-2007, 06:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjs162216 View Post
[18:53] <amiconn> chrisjs169: Stack is too small as the sd stack has to handle remounts with hotswap
[18:54] <amiconn> Compare ata-e200.c with ata-mmc.c ...
OK, I increased the stack size. I will upload a version for people to test in a little while.

Charles

Old 05-28-2007, 06:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Default_stack_size is 0x400, 1024 bytes. and sizeof(long) is four.

The size of sd_stack is 512:
(DEFAULT_STACK_SIZE*2)/sizeof(long), which is (1024 * 2) / 4 = 512

sd_stack originally is used for the internal memory, but the external sd patch also uses sd_stack, which basically doubles the amount of stuff on that stack. I think if the external sd used either another stack or sd_stack was increased ( (DEFAULT_STACK_SIZE*4/sizeof(long) maybe?) would fix the error (it'd be 1024 bytes instead of 512)

EDIT: I spent all that time typing while cpchan said he would just increase the stack size :P godess: the SVN is fine, it's the SD patch that's the problem

EDIT2: I also noticed that originally (basically the SD patch in my build) used mmc_stack, which, if hotswap support was enabled, the stack size was 1024 bytes, otherwise it was 512 (basically, it used another stack, which prevented the overflow)

EDIT3: Was looking at the wrong file, the SD patch has always used sd_stack, but mmc_stack has always been available...

Last edited by chrisjs162216; 05-28-2007 at 06:31 PM.

Old 05-28-2007, 06:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

ATTN: *Panic* sktov sd

For those having the "*Panic* sktov sd" problem, please test out the attached version to see if you still get the error.

Charles
Attached Files
File Type: zip rockbox_test_1.zip (1.01 MB, 15 views)
File Type: zip rockbox_test_2.zip (703.9 KB, 15 views)

Old 05-28-2007, 08:34 PM

So far, so good... Previously, the problem happened quite frequently...
but remember, I do NOT have a micro-SD card

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpchan View Post
ATTN: *Panic* sktov sd

For those having the "*Panic* sktov sd" problem, please test out the attached version to see if you still get the error.

Charles

Last edited by dzr; 05-28-2007 at 08:58 PM.

Old 05-29-2007, 05:25 AM
Rockbox Developer

Quote:
So far, so good... Previously, the problem happened quite frequently...
but remember, I do NOT have a micro-SD card

Thanks!
That's what I meant. Some people without an SD card are having problems, while all the others with and without a SD card don't have any problems, I don't think it's only the patch.

If it's the patch, tell me why some people with the last SVN had data aborts, when they did not install Rockbox in that shamanism way??

Old 05-29-2007, 05:33 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Because data aborts have nothing to do with stack overflows? The odds of there being a stkov without the sd patch is rather unlikely, but still possible. Throw in the patch, which uses the same stack as the internal memory, and you just about double (if hotswapping, it could be close to triple) the risk of a stkov, unless the stack size is increased

Old 05-29-2007, 08:35 AM
Rockbox Developer

How can this happen, when he doesn't use a SD card, I don't get this.

Old 05-29-2007, 03:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It is possible although mostly unlikely that the stack can overflow even if there's no SD card, either as a bug when compiling, a problem with the build itself, or due to the sd patch checking to see if an sd card was inserted (hotswap) (can't say for sure about the last one, as I haven't looked into the sd patch too much)

Stack overflows can just be from faulty code in SVN, or a bad Rockbox install, or just the way the SD patch works (even without a card inserted)

Old 05-29-2007, 04:28 PM

Charles, I realized that the latest two builds don't have the Bubbles scroll patch included anymore, or the patch doesn't work. Can you check what's wrong?
Thanks,
krat
Headphones: Technics RP-HT300 | Panasonic RP-HT202|JVC HA-FX55
Sansa Rockbox Themes: KratoGlass|KratoSky|KratoJet|JetoKrat

Old 05-29-2007, 04:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratonator View Post
Charles, I realized that the latest two builds don't have the Bubbles scroll patch included anymore, or the patch doesn't work. Can you check what's wrong?
My apologies. I forgot to included it when I redid my cumulative patch. I will readd it tonight. What do you think of the default DOOM keybindings now? Should I readd the DOOM patch?

Charles

Old 05-29-2007, 05:27 PM

Okay I tried playing Doom just now with the default keys. When you say now, you make it seem as if they've changed something?

As far as I can tell, the controls are still basically the same. Just that moving through the menus seems different. (I think it's either play or select to choose in the menu now)

Old 05-29-2007, 05:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyr0sphere View Post
As far as I can tell, the controls are still basically the same. Just that moving through the menus seems different. (I think it's either play or select to choose in the menu now)
OK, I will resync the DOOM patch tonight.

Charles

Old 05-29-2007, 09:45 PM

Hey cpchan,

This is a great build. Thanks for putting it together for us to use. I had been wanting to use a WPS that has flexibility in text/font type and placement. It requires some other patches, which are not syncing properly right now.

Have you ever considered adding in the following patches:
Custom_Display_Width
Custom_List_Position
Customline
Multifont
Multifont-Userfonts

If there is a possibility to add these, it would be greatly appreciated. But I completely understand if you don't want to take the time to add them.

Thanks again for the great build.

kockroach

Old 05-29-2007, 09:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kockroach View Post
This is a great build. Thanks for putting it together for us to use.
Thanks. No problem.

Quote:
Have you ever considered adding in the following patches:
Custom_Display_Width
Custom_List_Position
Customline
Multifont
Multifont-Userfonts
I am all for customization of the WPS, I will look into this. The only patches that I won't consider are eye candy patches that waste battery life and can't be turned off.

Charles

Closed Thread