android
Old 05-16-2007, 07:04 PM

Ok so I loaded your branch and got geat music and sound. I then got a data Abort error at 00040F80 when I tried to use the bottom menu button to get into sound settings. After the data abort error the sound and music sucks. Then I deleted the rockbox folder on the sansa. I then reloaded your branch and got great music and sound until I got the above error again. Something is fishy...

Last edited by smeakim; 05-16-2007 at 09:29 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-17-2007, 02:51 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeakim View Post
Ok so I loaded your branch and got geat music and sound. I then got a data Abort error at 00040F80 when I tried to use the bottom menu button to get into sound settings. After the data abort error the sound and music sucks. Then I deleted the rockbox folder on the sansa. I then reloaded your branch and got great music and sound until I got the above error again. Something is fishy...
I just answer a similiar post by Slaughter. I am at a lost here since I have never had a "data abort" error. I use my player for hours at a time with only the occasional sound glitch that is easily cured by a hard reset. Can you switch to the default theme, do a hard shutdown, test it out and report back?

Thanks.

Charles

Old 05-17-2007, 05:07 AM

There are already menu entries for videos, photos and ebooks, so how about adding one for rockboy / gameboy-roms? I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one, who would like to see this.

Old 05-17-2007, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpchan View Post
I forgot to ask, have you tried a hardware shutdown?

Charles
I tried the hardware shutdown. It works better, but the jpeg viewer wont work. And data aborts still come quite often. And the rockdoom seems not to work. I cant do nothing else but to go up & down in the menu.

Last edited by MonoPete; 05-17-2007 at 05:29 AM.

Old 05-17-2007, 05:32 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
There are already menu entries for videos, photos and ebooks, so how about adding one for rockboy / gameboy-roms? I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one, who would like to see this.
Planned. I have to think of a good way to organize the Games menu.

Charles

Old 05-17-2007, 05:39 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoPete View Post
I tried the hardware shutdown. It works better, but the jpeg viewer wont work. And data aborts still come quite often. And the rockdoom seems not to work. I cant do nothing else but to go up & down in the menu.
Hum, just tested out the jpeg viewer with some photos, it works fine for me. This is really strange- I don't even know what a "Data Abort" screen looks like.

Charles

Old 05-17-2007, 05:40 AM
Ultra Senior Member

For those having "Data Abort" problems, can you post your Rockbox config file and name the theme that you are using.

Charles

Old 05-17-2007, 06:11 AM

just update to your newest build and jpeg viewer and rockdoom dont work

Old 05-17-2007, 09:09 AM

I had the Data Abort problem until I copied over the config.cfg file from an older build. Since replacing that file i have not had an issue.

This is the complete text of my "working" config.cfg file
(The theme is dockpod).

----- start here -----

idle poweroff: 15
backlight filters first keypress: on
brightness: 4
scroll speed: 3
Screen Scrolls Out Of View: on
screen scroll step: 6
foreground color: FFFFFF
background color: 000000
volume fade: off
show files: all
use most-recent-bookmarks: on
folder navigation: random
beep: moderate
dithering enabled: on
show path in browser: full path
font: /.rockbox/fonts/snap.fnt
wps: /.rockbox/wps/DockPod Aqua.wps
lang: /.rockbox/langs/english.lng
backdrop: /.rockbox/backdrops/DockPod Aqua.bmp
usb charging: on
iconset: /.rockbox/icons/silk.bmp
viewers iconset: /.rockbox/icons/silkv.bmp
button light timeout: 3

----- end here -----

Charles: Maybe you can try renaming your config.cfg and then changing your theme to if you get the issue. I don't have my sync cable today so i can't post the text of a "broken" config.cfg file.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:33 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubicle View Post
I had the Data Abort problem until I copied over the config.cfg file from an older build. Since replacing that file i have not had an issue.
This file will only exist if one configures something. So it does look like it is a settings issue.

Quote:
Charles: Maybe you can try renaming your config.cfg and then changing your theme to if you get the issue. I don't have my sync cable today so i can't post the text of a "broken" config.cfg file.
I have never had a "Data Abort". We are trying to figure out why some people are getting that with my build.

Charles

Old 05-17-2007, 12:53 PM

Oops sorry there was typo. Should have been:

Maybe you can try renaming your config.cfg and then changing your theme to "see" if you get the issue.

Meaning perhaps you will be able to reproduce the problem on your sansa if you rename/delete your config file.

I only had the problem when I did not have a config file or when the config file was created by the new build. I can confirm that if I delete my config file now, I will get Data Aborts again. I tested that before my initial post.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubicle View Post
Meaning perhaps you will be able to reproduce the problem on your sansa if you rename/delete your config file.
Ah, thanks. I will test it out later. Sorry to those who upgraded today, you will need to do it again later. I am preparing a new version right now since there is an important commit in SVN to fix the "tinniness" of the sound,

Charles

Old 05-17-2007, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpchan View Post
Ah, thanks. I will test it out later. Sorry to those who upgraded today, you will need to do it again later. I am preparing a new version right now since there is an important commit in SVN to fix the "tinniness" of the sound,

Charles
Please a short explanation, what is tinniness . Do you mean the quiet bass?

Michael

Old 05-17-2007, 01:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabund View Post
Please a short explanation, what is tinniness . Do you mean the quiet bass?
Thin metallic sound.

Charles

Old 05-17-2007, 01:43 PM

The new audio fix should address most of the prevalent concerns regarding the sound of a Rockboxed Sansa. I'll go ahead and say that it's at least as good, and probably better, than the original firmware. If you can't compile your own, then you'll want to grab Charles's as soon as he makes it available. This is a MAJOR improvement.

With the latest revision, the sound is much fuller and richer as well as a LOT louder. As far as bass goes, I've had to back down from my customary 6dB bass boost. I use Shure e2C IEMs, which aren't very bassy to begin with, and right now, Macca's bass on "Paperback Writer" is sounding real good.

Volume-wise, I typically have listened at around -6dB. That's WAY too loud for me at this point. Now it's more like -10 to -13dB for me to be comfortable. Your mileage may vary.

Hard-core volume freaks beware: You may notice distortion at levels above 0dB. But once you get over 0dB it may not matter, as it could damage your hearing before you notice the distortion. :-)

Old 05-17-2007, 02:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by major_works View Post
The new audio fix should address most of the prevalent concerns regarding the sound of a Rockboxed Sansa.
I will let people judge for themselves.

Quote:
Volume-wise, I typically have listened at around -6dB. That's WAY too loud for me at this point. Now it's more like -10 to -13dB for me to be comfortable. Your mileage may vary.
For IEM's yes. However, I think it could still be a bit louder. I still find it a bit quiet with open cans in a noisy surrounding when listening to older, less compressed recordings.

@All: Both branches are ready for download.

Charles

Old 05-17-2007, 02:42 PM

woot woot. Can't wait to test.

First one to download

EDIT: omg the volume definitely increased greatly. I used to listen at 0db and now am forced to go down to about -13db as someone said

The sound quality has definitely improved as well. There is finally bass. I'd definitely recommend everyone to update as soon as possible

One thing I noticed is that when I start the player, I hear something internally (some buzzing loading sound) that I never heard before

Last edited by pyr0sphere; 05-17-2007 at 02:50 PM.

Old 05-17-2007, 03:00 PM

First of all I want to express my gratitude to Charles for the magnificent work here at ABi. I use his build since the 2nd of May and I want to thank him.

I'm no audiophile and I usually don't feel differences between sounds but this one sounds indeed very good.

Quote:
One thing I noticed is that when I start the player, I hear something internally (some buzzing loading sound) that I never heard before.
I don't hear these sounds but maybe your headphones are more sensitive.

Thanks Charles.
Headphones: Technics RP-HT300 | Panasonic RP-HT202|JVC HA-FX55
Sansa Rockbox Themes: KratoGlass|KratoSky|KratoJet|JetoKrat

Old 05-17-2007, 03:24 PM

good work mate but the rockdoom plugin doesnt work again

Old 05-17-2007, 03:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast View Post
good work mate
Thanks.

Quote:
but the rockdoom plugin doesnt work again
Are you talking about the scroll wheel in games? IIRC, it is a known problem in the SVN version for Sansa. I suspect it is the new GPIO stuff. Be patient.

Charles

Last edited by cpchan; 05-17-2007 at 03:48 PM.

Closed Thread