android
Old 09-03-2013, 12:03 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Default Microsoft to Buy Nokia

Microsoft will buy Nokia Devices and Services unit.

http://www.wpcentral.com/microsoft-b...ts-544-billion

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-03-2013, 12:32 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Makes sense, and may well be mutually beneficial down the road.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:19 AM

Who would have thought that when Elop joined that Nokia would kill off all their internal smartphone development and end up using Windows Phone?

And that they'd keep on using Windows Phone as their market share dropped along with the value of the company? And that the company would ultimately end up being bought by Microsoft and that Elop would return there?

I mean, who seriously thought all of that was going to happen?

Old 09-03-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeven View Post
I mean, who seriously thought all of that was going to happen?
Elop is surely going to be remembered as the man who destroyed the company every Finn was once proud of. However I think this is unfair to say the least. The biggest mistakes were made long before Elop's time. He was called in to rescue the sinking ship but he could not change the course. Its easy to say now it would have been better to pick Android instead of WP. But its questionable whether or not that would have actually changed anything. I mean, Motorola does not exist anymore as an independent company, HTC is struggling despite making great Android phones since day 1, LG isn't doing so well either, etc.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el maco View Post
Elop is surely going to be remembered as the man who destroyed the company every Finn was once proud of. However I think this is unfair to say the least. The biggest mistakes were made long before Elop's time. He was called in to rescue the sinking ship but he could not change the course. Its easy to say now it would have been better to pick Android instead of WP. But its questionable whether or not that would have actually changed anything. I mean, Motorola does not exist anymore as an independent company, HTC is struggling despite making great Android phones since day 1, LG isn't doing so well either, etc.
I wouldn't say that for certain. LG and Sony smartphone business's both made profit last quarter and both companies sold record amounts of smartphones. Also, HTC One reportedly sold over 5 million units. If Nokia went with Android and kept pushing innovative technology they would have probably made it (not Samsung success but profitable non the less).

Old 09-03-2013, 03:19 PM

Well, my reasoning was that if Apple and Samsung together collect 100% of the profits of the mobile industry, the rest aren't left with much.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:30 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Stephen Elop is currently the frontrunner to replace Steve Ballmer as Microsoft next CEO.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I think this was a good idea, tho I'll never get that Android Nokia phone I was hoping for.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

According to sources, Microsoft is now eying BlackBerry.

http://www.wpcentral.com/bloomberg-m...berry-purchase

Old 09-04-2013, 04:50 AM

Old 09-04-2013, 07:16 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm trying to help the underdog - Microsoft!!!

Old 09-04-2013, 02:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Unfortunately, what has Microsoft ever purchased that it hasn't bulloxed? There goes the legacy of Nokia phones, I fear . . . .

Old 09-04-2013, 03:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
Unfortunately, what has Microsoft ever purchased that it hasn't bulloxed? There goes the legacy of Nokia phones, I fear . . . .
Skype and Yammer???

Old 09-06-2013, 03:15 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimran View Post
Skype and Yammer???

They sure screwed up Skype in Win 8. My Gf bought a laptop with Win 8m

and she cannot even logout its always on. i downgraded to skype 3.8, the newer versions are horrible

Old 09-08-2013, 12:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimran View Post
Skype and Yammer???
Is Skype as good as it used to be? I hear little about it. (Yammer I don't know/use.) Regardless, give Microsoft time . . . .

Old 09-05-2013, 12:48 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Nokia was making really nice products, and if anything was being held back by MS's slow development cycles, byzantine organization, and overall lack of vision. I really hope merging Nokia in brings the better aspects of Nokia to MS rather than the worst aspects of MS to Nokia.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:04 AM

This is an interesting development. A former CEO of Nokia is starting a new company called Newkia. According to the former CEO "We already have a team of senior former Nokia executives ready to run the business, and we are confident that we can attract the talent from those people who want to develop a competitive phone on the Android platform."

Apparently many working at Nokia strongly disagreed with the adoption of Windows mobile and are planning on leaving with the Microsoft buy out.

http://www.androidauthority.com/noki...newkia-264160/

For Windows Mobile to be successful Microsoft really needs to drop the tile or metro user interface. It utterly violates and goes directly against pretty much every known user interface design heuristic rules. From my experience playing around with Win phones and being a daily user of Windows 8 (desktop), I strongly feel that tiles may look pretty and maybe novel at first but they get lame fast. If you have Windows 8 on your desktop I highly recommend classic shell.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:31 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan View Post
This is an interesting development. A former CEO of Nokia is starting a new company called Newkia. According to the former CEO "We already have a team of senior former Nokia executives ready to run the business, and we are confident that we can attract the talent from those people who want to develop a competitive phone on the Android platform."
This just sounds like "We want to be rich and in control again, so how about it? Someone want to make phones for us, we think Android might be a popular choice? We can ta- I mean handle all the money for you guys!"

Old 09-08-2013, 07:26 AM
Ultra Senior Member

TBH a Nokia Lumia 920 running Android would be the SHIT!!! NOT a "newkia". A KIRF is still a KIRF,...

Old 09-08-2013, 12:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

My wife uses Skype to talk to family in Canada, and TBH she has nothing but connection issues. Most times it won't even complete the video/audio calls. Kinda suckage now.