android
Old 03-07-2013, 03:21 AM

Default Sony NWZ-E474 Review

Hello, I just bought my 2nd Walkman, the NWZ-E474. It's a completely new thing to me, because I used to use the old NW-A805 before this. So I'm quite excited to see the new UI and new features!

Features and Specs:

• Storage - 8GB (6.71GB-ish usable)
  • Sound Enhancements - Clear Bass, Clear Stereo, Dynamic Normalizer, DSEE, Equalizer (5 Band)
  • Display - QVGA (320x240)
  • SenseMe™, Games, Voice Recorder, FM Tuner, Lyrics Display, Karaoke Mode, Alarm, Podcast support.
  • Bundled Headphones - EX Monitor MDR-EX083
  • Playback time - 36 Hours (Rated)
Basically, its like every other new-gen budget-friendly Walkman. One thing needs to be mentioned though as this model is particularly slimmer than the older generation E Series (E460), the battery life is decreased to 36 hours (rated) from 50 hours (rated as well).

Some pictures of the device -

Build Quality:

The device's front part is plastic but the back cover (that goes up the sides as well) is metal, I think it's made of light aluminum (like it was on my old NW-A805). The Walkman does feel good in hand. You may have to be careful about it getting scratched quite easily though. The Volume and Hold Buttons on the right side are very well built and tactile response is superb. The mickey mouse control pad however is a bit too big for my liking, but I'm coming from the NW-A805, which had a small pad. So I should get used to it. Tactile Response of these buttons is pretty good too.

Edit : After a month or so of using the E474 almost daily, I have found the big mickey mouse control pad to be a bit flimsy, it is definitely loose but thankfully the buttons don't get pressed by mistake. Design flaw maybe, Sony should address this issue. Thanks to forum members "dimmer" and "Jeven" for pointing out that the back cover is indeed made of metal and not of plastic completely.

This thing is very slim! At around 7.4mm, the waistline is so thin that it makes my slimmest phone (9.5mm) look fat! Here's a comparison -

Bundled Accessories:

The package is a neat paper box with plastic inserts. You get the device itself, USB Cable, Quick Start Guides, Headphones (MDR-EX083), Replacement Sony Hybrid Tips (S/M/L).

Sound and Playback:

The first thing I did was fire up the device and use Clear Bass, I'm very fond of it and I can remember the bass I used to get with my old NW-A805. The sound in true Walkman fashion is very good. The UI is impressive with smooth transitions between songs. I loaded the Walkman with LAME 320kbps and VBR V0/V2 MP3s and they sound pretty good.

Equalizer works pretty well with the presets. I like to use the Unique Preset while listening with the bundled EX083s. However you can customize your own EQ with adjustable Clear Bass.

It was mentioned in the Help Guide however that other enhancements like Clear Stereo, Dynamic Normalizer and DSEE work in favor of the EX083. I could not hear any audible differences so I turned those enhancements off.

Bundled Headphones (MDR-EX083):

I would like to do a comparison between the bundled MDR-EX083s and their older model MDR-EX082 (which I got with my NW-A805) here. The EX083s are a definite improvement over the EX082s in both sound and other aspects.

EX083s come with Sony's own Hybrid Tips, they do isolate quite well and are comfortable. They are certainly miles ahead from the Generic stock ones I got with EX082s.

The Design is very similar to the old one. I like the matte black paint around the Walkman Logo, as you can see, the chrome on EX082s have chipped. Excuse my funny attempt at fixing the EX082s though, they've been my primary IEMs since 2007 and the wear and tear is very noticeable. The strain relief of the EX082s are better than the EX083s though.

The EX083s are longer than the EX082s (even with the extension cord plugged in). And rejoice! The EX083s don't have the asymmetrical J-cord like the EX082s. The wires on both models are similar but the EX083s are less tangle prone.

The straight 3.5mm termination plug. The strain relief here is very loose, so you should be careful while pulling them out from the player, or it might get ripped off.

EX083s (left) sound better than the EX082s (right). There was a veiled appearance of the mids and highs in the EX082s that has been fixed on the EX083s. As far as bundle headphones go, these new EX083s are quite the performers. The Hybrid tips also help isolate and improve bass. The highs and mids seem much better along with bass. With EQ and Clear Bass, these headphones sound pretty good indeed.

Conclusion:

I'm a Sony Walkman fan and I love these a lot. There are several better options available than this but if you have experienced Sony's media players before, you'll like this too. Sure there isn't external memory card option or even FLAC playback, but this does sound pretty good. If you're a casual MP3 listener and need good battery life, this is pretty good for the money. It's a good player but not much can be said other than that. It does with it's supposed to do. I'm using this with my Shure SRH440 with just the headphone out and it drives the 440s pretty well.

And just for the sake of a good laugh :P

Regards,
XTR95

Last edited by XTR95; 04-03-2013 at 07:12 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-07-2013, 05:25 AM

Nice review and pics ^_^

Edit: I moved it to "MP3 Player User Reviews" forum

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 03-07-2013, 06:03 AM

Thank You!

and thanks for the moving, I was asked to post on General PMP Discussions so that after Mod/Admin's Review it can be moved accordingly.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:05 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Excellent review,...SONY FO' LIFE!!!

Old 03-07-2013, 07:34 AM

Thank you The DarkSide! It's good to hear from senior members!

Does anyone know when the next generation of Walkmans are going to be released? I waited 3 years and I couldn't wait anymore so I got the E474. E475 would have been a better option but it was either the E474 or the A844 for me. A844 would have looked heaps better but I figured the 2012 model would last longer. Sony Walkmans aren't available in my country, hence the huge 3 year wait. And It's been worth it!

Special thanks goes to forum member Just Some Guy for helping me choose between the two.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:01 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Nice review! It looks sort of like my former NWZ-E345 did. I wouldn't mind getting another Sony at some point, but I already have too many DAPs....lol.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:48 AM

Yes, the E345 is a good small little thing (smaller than my old A805, too), but it had the older UI (the same version I had on my former A805). lol I noticed you have a lot of them but if you get another Sony, you'll be very happy with just the new UI. It's so smooth and the transitions make it feel such a premium device. And while in playback screen, you can use the Up and Down buttons to quickly select particular albums (it looks almost like Coverflow-ish and if you keep holding the button the transition becomes 3D-like!). And I have around 920 songs filled up in my E474, but the loading/refreshing and building of library is not laggy. I thought it would eat up a lot of processing speed but I'm surprised, its a pretty fast device. I hope the next generation E-Series will be even better!

So if you haven't used a new UI Walkman recently, you'll be amazed!

Old 03-07-2013, 10:17 AM

I have the e-475 and I like it alot. I have a few minor quirks like podcast files not playing automatically after the last one and the inability to remove stuff I'll never use in a million years like video and sense me channels from the main menu but otherwise it's pretty dang good. Wish I could speedup scrolling speed of long titles on the now playing screen but that is just nitpicking. Just wish it had 32gb instead of 16. Then it would be perfect. Also if anyone finds a way to display filenames instead of tags that would be awesome

Old 03-07-2013, 11:41 PM

Ah yes you're right about that there is some junk in it. I can save upto 25MBs of space if I remove the pictures and videos that came with but yes, SenseMe and other features aren't that appealing.

Sony should atleast give external card support to the Walkman. They simply cannot put up with competition with their Cowon and Sansa counterparts.

Speaking of displaying filenames, you cannot do that while in playback screen but if you go through Menu --> Music --> Folder --> (Your music folders/files here), this way they do show up with filenames instead of tags. It might help you.

And Kudos to you for getting the 16GB E475, I can only dream of the extra 8GB space now :P

Old 03-08-2013, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTR95 View Post
Ah yes you're right about that there is some junk in it. I can save upto 25MBs of space if I remove the pictures and videos that came with but yes, SenseMe and other features aren't that appealing.

Sony should atleast give external card support to the Walkman. They simply cannot put up with competition with their Cowon and Sansa counterparts.

Speaking of displaying filenames, you cannot do that while in playback screen but if you go through Menu --> Music --> Folder --> (Your music folders/files here), this way they do show up with filenames instead of tags. It might help you.

And Kudos to you for getting the 16GB E475, I can only dream of the extra 8GB space now :P
I have a sony credit card. I paid $35 after using rewards points. It was a no brainer. Thanks for the tip. Yeah 8gb is practically nothing.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

32GB S or A Series walkman = NIRVANA!!!

Old 03-08-2013, 02:11 AM

You're right about that mate. Don't forget the mighty 64GB A847

Old 03-08-2013, 07:49 AM

i am little confused between sony nwz-E474 and cowon iAudio9 (8 gb). Both of them costs the same. i want the player to be rich in audio quality. Since both sony and cowon players are known for their super audio quality but i have heard a lot about jet audio. Plz tell me pros and cons of both players and tell me what to buy?

Old 03-08-2013, 09:04 AM

I haven't used the Cowon iAudio 9 so I cannot say anything about it. About E474 though, it does what it supposed to do like I mentioned in the review above. There isn't anything 'special' or 'unique' I suppose in particular. But it gets my job done. Note that E474 doesn't support FLAC playback, if you use MP3s/AACs, you're fine though. Battery life is decent enough for me (gives me around 25-ish hours from the rated 36 hours, but it depends on usage). Sound Quality is as good as a low end budget friendly Walkman gets. No external memory support though. You have to live with 8GB (6.71GB actually). That's about it for the E474. I don't use Podcast/FM Tuner/Games and other features though. I just use it as a DAP, nothing else. Oh and this supports Drag-and-Drop, you don't need extra software to copy music to the device. You can use Windows Media Player or iTunes too.

Last edited by XTR95; 03-08-2013 at 09:11 AM.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:24 PM

Hi!
Thanks for the review, I have ordered this small little beast instead of old NWZ-E345.
Although E3xx series has a mini-USB I've decided to choose E47x over E37x series since bookmarks (playlists on the go) are a must have, I missed this feature in E345 a lot.
And about this:
Quote:
Though the device is completely made of plastic
Some reviews on the net tell us that the back of e47x is metal, isn't it?

Old 03-26-2013, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimmer View Post
Hi!
Thanks for the review, I have ordered this small little beast instead of old NWZ-E345.
Although E3xx series has a mini-USB I've decided to choose E47x over E37x series since bookmarks (playlists on the go) are a must have, I missed this feature in E345 a lot.
And about this:

Some reviews on the net tell us that the back of e47x is metal, isn't it?
Welcome and congrats on ordering the E470 series! Thanks for pointing out that feature, I don't use it but I'm pretty sure many others appreciate it.

About the E47x's back being metal, I'm not sure, the back of the device is matte black but to my touch and feel it feels like plastic unlike my A805 which was cold to touch as it had metal parts all around. The back cover could be made of really light aluminum (lighter than that on the A805) though but the front is definitely plastic.

Now that you've mentioned it, it does feel metallic, lol.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Now that you've mentioned it, it does feel metallic, lol.
rofl, I'm glad I could make your player better!

Old 04-01-2013, 06:15 AM

I'm buying one today as my clip+ has some dodgy buttons and battery behavior lately.

I'll be using this as a backup player, and because I don't want to use my phone really, but should I buy blue, green, pink? black or red? I'll see what they have at the store.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:40 AM

I'm thinking XTR95 is mistaken in his review because the back and sides of this player are definitely metal - I was surprised because I didn't expect it at this price point (£59).

I got the black because I thought the colour versions looked a bit tacky, especially the green and pink ones. I'm loading it up with some tunes now.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeven View Post
I'm thinking XTR95 is mistaken in his review because the back and sides of this player are definitely metal - I was surprised because I didn't expect it at this price point (£59).

I got the black because I thought the colour versions looked a bit tacky, especially the green and pink ones. I'm loading it up with some tunes now.
Yes, after some days of noticing I have found the back cover (that goes up the sides as well) is actually made of metal, it should be light aluminum. Thanks for the info and I'm editing that part.

And I have also added some new thoughts on the key-pad as well in the edit. I hope I didn't cause any inconvenience to anyone.

Last edited by XTR95; 04-03-2013 at 07:16 AM.

Tags
2012, e-series, e470, sony, walkman