android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Samsung > Samsung S3 / S5

Old 01-21-2013, 05:29 AM

Unhappy Transferring of videos to yp-s3. Seriously does it actually work?

Hi

this topic may be a little outdated, but... I am currently trying to transfer some videos to my yp-s3 player. My Emodio does not work, so I have been looking for solutions in the internet... I found in the forums so many people having the same problems as me and no one of them getting any answer... that I am wondering if anybody has ever been capable of transferring a video to his YP-S3 player...

Is anybody out there that succeeded in this?

My experience is:
1-Emodio crashed on giving the command to transfer an mp4 file
2-Tried on a different file and Emodio said it had not the proper codecs
3-Installed a package of codecs and Emodio stopped complaining
4-On transfer Emodio now says the transfer is complete but the files on the S3 are empty
5-If I tell Emodio to save on disk the .svi-converted files the resulting files have size equal to 1KB (practically empty, I think that files only contain the header of the video file format)
6-tryed to convert to .svi on my own using jSVI: S3 is not listed in the supported readers- If I convert to S5 the resulting files are not in a supported format (the S3 says so once I try to play the files)
7-tryed to convert to .svi using mencoder, by hacking from svicoder the calling command to mencoder, and tweaking it. Player cannot recognize the format
8-tryed to convert to .svi using mencoder, by following foo2svi suggestions. Still the player cannot recognize the format.

Was anybody out there successful in converting to .svi for an S3 using mencoder, or any other video convertion utility?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-21-2013, 06:27 AM
Samsung Moderator

I don't have EmoDio installed on this computer and the S3 is still missing in my collection but all Samsung players work more or less the same way so I assume that would work:

Convert your video (with Super! for example) to AVI 220*176 @15fps, codec MPEG4/Xvid. Bitrate not too high. Audio: MP3 128kbps CBR
Then rename the *.avi file to *.svi

Old 01-21-2013, 09:46 AM

Smile

Hi lebellium,
thank you for your quick reply,
in the past days I have tried a number of these recipes (using mencoder) I will try yours next and tell you

Is there some rule you are following to put together these specs?
Like setting the exact aspect ratio of the S3's screen (220x176)
One thing I tried was using the same specs Emodio had as default
( 207x176, fps = 15, Bitrate =400 if I recall well ) but they did not seem to work.

...after I checked the screen is 176x220, not 220x176, maybe this is the point I was missing... the S3 assumes it is going to display it "landscape" and not "portrait"!

Old 01-21-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebellium View Post
I don't have EmoDio installed on this computer and the S3 is still missing in my collection but all Samsung players work more or less the same way so I assume that would work:

Convert your video (with Super! for example) to AVI 220*176 @15fps, codec MPEG4/Xvid. Bitrate not too high. Audio: MP3 128kbps CBR
Then rename the *.avi file to *.svi
Hi, I tried this (see attached screenshot) but it did not work (S3 says the file is an unsupported type)
tried also mencoder... same result
Attached Images
File Type: jpg superConvertion.jpg (62.7 KB, 3 views)

Old 01-21-2013, 06:27 PM
Samsung Moderator

Hum strange...
In the service manual it is also written "MPEG4 (SVI) (176 x 208, 15 Frame)".

You can try that (or 208 x 176). But that doesn't make sense to me! The screen is 220 x 176, it should support this resolution

You can also try to uncheck the box "48k audio" and try "MPEG-4" instead of Xvid.

And of course don't forget to rename the AVI file to SVI.

If that still doesn't work, I honestly don't know

Old 01-22-2013, 07:05 AM

Unhappy

I've been scratching my head on this for quite a time by now,
I also have found some eerie comments on various forums, like in
http://forum.ubuntuusers.de/topic/vi...svi-umwandeln/
they say "S3 erwartet im Dateiheader des avi Containers einen bestimmten FourCC Code, sonst kommt es zu obiger Fehlermeldung"
which anyway can be managed, or even, in
http://forum.ubuntu-fr.org/viewtopic.php?id=63075, they say:
"je voudrais vous donner quelques précisions sur les fichiers SVI produits par EmoDio [...] sous Windows: [...] En allant étudier le fichier en mode hexadécimal j'ai obtenu un header qui contient "SVI LIST" derrière "AVI LIST" avant le flux vidéo ce qui n'est pas le cas d'un fichier AVI produit par ffmpeg ou mencoder. Il y a donc une merde en plus dans ces fichiers qui autorise leur lecture par le baladeur. D'avoir le même codec et format ne suffit pas."

if it is only a matter of substituting "AVI LIST" with "SVI LIST", also a text editor might do, if there are other samsung-specific pieces in the file header, it becomes difficult to get a proper S3-compatible .svi file.

I'll try some other combinations of options in the conversion (like unticking 48k audio, as you suggest) then maybe I will try and install Samsung Media Studio (which nevertheless was unable to see my S3, the last time I had it installed) and see if it gets me a proper .svi file.

One of my side problems is that I don't have even one working .svi file, not even "Sheep in the island" which I unwillingly erased some time ago, otherwise I could try and analyse it. (something like that was done here http://forum.ubuntu-fr.org/viewtopic.php?id=63075 for a YP-T7F)

Old 01-22-2013, 08:42 AM
Samsung Moderator

Okay I installed EmoDio on my PC and I converted Demo videos from my YP-Q3
Please try:
Evolution.svi ("YP-S3[MTP]" preset)
Q3_Demo.svi ("YP-S3" preset)
Does it work?

What's your firmware and are you in MTP or UMS?

Tags
emodio, mencoder, video, yp-s3