android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 01-06-2013, 08:57 PM

Default Shure SE215 vs. Phonak Audéo PFE 012 - Fit and sound

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some new in-ear headphones. Sound is important but fit is also very important to me. I wear them with the cable over the ears and I have small ear canals. I have narrowed my search down to the Shure SE215 and the Phonak Audéo PFE 012. I will mostly use them when going out (walking, public transit, library and so on). I listen mostly to progressive rock (lots of Porcupine Tree recently).

Here's what I have:
IEM:
  • Audio Technica ATH-CK5 (dead): crappy sound, no bass, OK fit when wearing the cables down.
  • CrossRoads Mylar X3i (almost dead): good sound, good bass, highs a little rolled off, very crappy fit and crappy construction quality.
  • Ultimate Ears MetroFi 220: good sound, good bass, highs a little rolled off (similar to X3i), not very detailed, crappy fit with stock silicone tips, decent fit with Comply TX400 size small, cables can be worn over the ears, but they are not optimal for that.
Full size:
  • Sennheiser HD 202: good sound, average detail, need complete recabling.
  • Sennheiser HD 558: great full sound, bass a little lacking but with great extension, very detailed.

From what I read in the reviews:
  • Shure SE215 (maybe the Special Edition): good sound, good bass, highs a little rolled off, good mids, average detail, great fit, replaceable cables (sound similar to X3i and UE MetriFi 220, but with better mids).
  • Phonak Audéo PFE 012: great full sound, bass a little lacking but with great extension, very detailed, good fit (sound similar to HD 558).

I eliminated the Westone 1 because even though they have a great fit, they are lacking bass.

So what are your experiences with the Shure SE215 and Phonak Audéo PFE 012 regarding fit and sound? Any other recommendations?

Also, I live in Canada, i have to be able to get them from a reliable source. Any preferences between Earphone Solutions, B&H Photo Video and J&R (or others).

Thank you very much!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-25-2013, 04:18 PM

I finally got the Shure SE215 Limited Edition a little over a month ago (from Earphone Solutions) and I must I am quite satisfied. Even more since I read this thread: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=71779

The sound is very good, better than my Ultimate Ears MetroFi 220: the high are still a little rolled off, but less than the UE and the sound is more detailed.

The fit is good, but still not perfect. I tried both type of tips and prefer the foam tips. Compared to comply tips, they are a little harder and take more time get back into their original shape and get a correct seal. The Shure medium tips are the same size as the small UE and Comply tips. The enclosure size is good for my ears, but the angle of the nozzles could have been a little different to get a better fit. The cables are good.